Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HELP REQUEST: Aux Install

sprainedmind

HELP REQUEST: Aux Install

Post by sprainedmind » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 am

Hi,

I've just ordered the Aux in cable (part no 65120153502) from my local dealer and will be picking it up this afternoon. I've got a 6 CD changer but not Bluetooth so I don't think I have to mess around merging plugs.

I believe I now have 2 options:

1. Take the centre vents out and remove the head unit before fitting

2. Remove the panel under the aircon controls and try to fit it without removing the vents and head unit.

I've read through this thread already and found a link to this guide - step 9 shows this picture of the location of the inputs, which will be bottom left of the head unit (looking from the front)

Can someone confirm that I'm on the right track with this please? My wife's not that happy with the idea of me messing around with her new toy and will kill me if anything goes wrong!

TIA

playalistic

Re: HELP REQUEST: Aux Install

Post by playalistic » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 am

I would take the centre vents out and do it that way. The picture you showed highlights the correct point for you to plug the aux cable into as well. Where was you thinking of mounting the aux socket? I drilled a hole in the panel underneath the aircon controls and put it in there. Nice and neat and hidden away from view.

If you're in or near Berkshire and need any help let me know!

sprainedmind

Post by sprainedmind » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks. Sadly I'm not in Berkshire or I'd have taken you up on that.

Will probably put the aux socket in the panel under the aircon controls - it's nice and out of the way there.

playalistic

Post by playalistic » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:16 pm

If it makes any sense I used a 4.5mm (if I remember correctly) bit to drill through that panel and took the collar nut and panel labelled "Auxiliary Input" off. The actual aux socket is threaded and I used that to tap into the panel. It is totally secure and nice and flush to the panel. I'll take some pics when the rain dies off here!

sprainedmind

Post by sprainedmind » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Right, that was easy :D Took my stepfather and me about 30 mins in all.

Apart from getting the vents out (there didn't seem to be any clips on mine which confused us for 10 minutes or so) it all went very smoothly :thumbsup:

Sorry there's no pics, but there's a million others around. SK93's thread was probably the simplest guide to follow that I found.

brawnyblue

Post by brawnyblue » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I also did the safe install and was about to drive the car off a cliff because I couldn't get the vents out to safe my life. Then I had the brilliant idea to bend a key ring (see picture below) to pull down the clips holding the vents. I found and had the clips within seconds, then used a screwdriver as a wedge and voila, job done