Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How good are oem continentals?

"M" Specific discussion
Cheburator

Re: How good are oem continentals?

Post by Cheburator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 am

The OEM ContiSport Contact M3 are rubbish and not a patch on the Falken FK452s in any weather. The only draw back on the Falkens is that they take a while to get all the oils out of them and they need a few heat cycles to start working really well...

I seem to remember that Costco have a 20% off their Michelin Pilot Sports 3 at the moment, which makes them actually quite appealing...
Power Is Nothing Without Insanity
Imola Red BMW Z4MC - sold

pilchardthecat

Post by pilchardthecat » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 am

Cheburator wrote:The OEM ContiSport Contact M3 are rubbish and not a patch on the Falken FK452s in any weather. The only draw back on the Falkens is that they take a while to get all the oils out of them and they need a few heat cycles to start working really well...

I seem to remember that Costco have a 20% off their Michelin Pilot Sports 3 at the moment, which makes them actually quite appealing...
Strange that 2 people can own the same car and arrive at 2 completely different conclusions.

The Falkens let go much too suddenly, especially in the wet. They are nowhere near progressive enough. They might inspire a bit more confidence when you are nowhere near the limit, but if you are pushing them at all they are borderline dangerous on these cars IMO
Z4M Roadster.

Cheburator

Post by Cheburator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 pm

pilchardthecat wrote:
Cheburator wrote:The OEM ContiSport Contact M3 are rubbish and not a patch on the Falken FK452s in any weather. The only draw back on the Falkens is that they take a while to get all the oils out of them and they need a few heat cycles to start working really well...

Strange that 2 people can own the same car and arrive at 2 completely different conclusions.

The Falkens let go much too suddenly, especially in the wet. They are nowhere near progressive enough. They might inspire a bit more confidence when you are nowhere near the limit, but if you are pushing them at all they are borderline dangerous on these cars IMO
Put it this way, the Falkens were good for 8:20 BTG following a Big White M5 Taxi in a boggo standard car on that one way toll road somewhere in the Nord Rhein-Westfalian mountains... The Conti Sport M3 fell to pieces in 10 laps on that very road... Total rubbish, which I was glad to get rid off... Maybe in 2000 they were good, but now they are showing their age...

dgm

Post by dgm » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Cheburator wrote:I seem to remember that Costco have a 20% off their Michelin Pilot Sports 3 at the moment, which makes them actually quite appealing...
Be careful with that, I think that PS3's are actually a replacement for Exaltos rather than PS2's. Bizarre branding but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Cheburator

Post by Cheburator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 pm

dgm wrote:
Cheburator wrote:I seem to remember that Costco have a 20% off their Michelin Pilot Sports 3 at the moment, which makes them actually quite appealing...
Be careful with that, I think that PS3's are actually a replacement for Exaltos rather than PS2's. Bizarre branding but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
I had a look at the Michelin web site and you may be right. Funny how manufacturers call their products. Either way, COSTCO have 20% off all Michelin tyres, which includes the PS2s...

P.S. Not affiliated with COSTCO in any way...

chris

Post by chris » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Peoples opinions with the conti's seem strange. Ive had many different tyres, and do like to drive my cars! And although i think the FK452 is a brilliant tyre i would not say its a patch on the conti's in any weather.

I as someone else has said, find the Falkens just let go when you go past their comfort zone, and the conti's dont. And thats why they are used on so many very high performance cars (unless anyone can let me know if the Falkens are :wink: ). I probably would not use any other tyre now apart from the Conti contact sport 2 or 3, well i dont think they make the M3 contact 2 tyre anymore, or its not listed on their website from what i remember.

But like anything, each to their own, and use whatever is good for you :thumbsup: One thing is the conti's do wear quicker though.

mikem7709

Post by mikem7709 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:50 pm

I find the Falkens seem to have a sweet spot once you get a little heat in them but are shite again when they start to overheat. The Conti`s seem much less sensitive to Temp.

I`d rather drive on Cups in the wet than Falkens (bar huge puddles obviously).

Hark

Post by Hark » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:19 am

Seems like we are talking about two types of tyre here. The conti M3 tyre and standard conti sport contact 2/3.

I don't know how much difference there is between the two personally.

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm

Cheburator

Post by Cheburator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 am

Hark wrote:Seems like we are talking about two types of tyre here. The conti M3 tyre and standard conti sport contact 2/3.

I don't know how much difference there is between the two personally.
huge...

Hark

How good are oem continentals?

Post by Hark » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:18 am

I also ran conti sports on the TT without issues.

Is the general consensus that the standard conti sport 2/3 is a good tyre, but the specific conti M3 spec tyre is lacking???

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm