Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:45 pm

Hello, my 2004 BMW Z4 has developed a considerable loud, high-pitch squeak whenever it is turned on. This disturbing sound continues throughout the entire duration of operation. I've changed the pulleys, the belt tensioners, and the belt. However, that did not resolve the issue. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me. Thank you.
Last edited by LP-Revolutions on Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Street
Member
Member
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:27 am
Location: Newcastle

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by Street » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:53 pm

Have you changed your oil filter recently? If not try that and opt for a good brand one like Mann.
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

User avatar
BumpyZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by BumpyZ4 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:41 am

Street wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:53 pm Have you changed your oil filter recently? If not try that and opt for a good brand one like Mann.
Yep, sounds like a collapsed oil filter.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:53 am

BumpyZ4 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:41 am Yep, sounds like a collapsed oil filter.
Interesting. So this simple solution can possibly be the remedy to such a horrible sound?

User avatar
Street
Member
Member
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:27 am
Location: Newcastle

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by Street » Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:10 am

LP-Revolutions wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:53 am
BumpyZ4 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:41 am Yep, sounds like a collapsed oil filter.
Interesting. So this simple solution can possibly be the remedy to such a horrible sound?
Yes. Let us know how you get on.
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

User avatar
BumpyZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by BumpyZ4 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:29 am

LP-Revolutions wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:53 am
BumpyZ4 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:41 am Yep, sounds like a collapsed oil filter.
Interesting. So this simple solution can possibly be the remedy to such a horrible sound?
Yes. Happened to me when I installed a K&N oil filter. I changed to a Mann filter, and it's been quiet ever since.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:53 pm

So I changed the oil and the oil filter (MANN) but the noise still persists...

Online
User avatar
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4890
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Location: Lincoln UK
Contact:

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by bigwinn » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:03 pm

Can you get a video of it?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Image


EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

j3nks79
Member
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:46 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by j3nks79 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:49 pm

Could be a noisy bearing from the alternator or ac compressor
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:43 am

Here is a quick video clip where you can hear the sound:

https://youtu.be/3h0IUoWY4kQ?si=69NP7FfF74E4BpA0

At this point, I've changed the pulley tensioners, the pulleys, the belts, the engine oil, and the engine oil filter....

LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:45 am

j3nks79 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:49 pm Could be a noisy bearing from the alternator or ac compressor
It seems to be narrowing down to something like that. Would it be possible to remove and re-grease the bearings of those components or would they just have to be replaced?

LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:48 am

bigwinn wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:03 pm Can you get a video of it?
Here is a quick video clip where you can hear the sound:

https://youtu.be/3h0IUoWY4kQ?si=69NP7FfF74E4BpA0

At this point, I've changed the pulley tensioners, the pulleys, the belts, the engine oil, and the engine oil filter.
Last edited by LP-Revolutions on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 15646
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:57 am

LP-Revolutions wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:45 am
j3nks79 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:49 pm Could be a noisy bearing from the alternator or ac compressor
It seems to be narrowing down to something like that. Would it be possible to remove and re-grease the bearings of those components or would they just have to be replaced?
With AC switched off, only the pulley on the front of the compressor turns.
Is it an M54 or a N46?
If it's the 6-cylinder then the compressor is on a separate belt, so you could remove that to check.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
Image

Online
User avatar
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4890
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Location: Lincoln UK
Contact:

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:02 am

I don’t want to send you off changing parts that might not need replacing

However I’d be looking next at the water pump purely as the sound has the characteristics of block noise (to me)
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Image


EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

LP-Revolutions
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:40 pm

2004 BMW Z4 Squeak

Post by LP-Revolutions » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:20 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:57 am
LP-Revolutions wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:45 am
j3nks79 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:49 pm Could be a noisy bearing from the alternator or ac compressor
It seems to be narrowing down to something like that. Would it be possible to remove and re-grease the bearings of those components or would they just have to be replaced?
With AC switched off, only the pulley on the front of the compressor turns.
Is it an M54 or a N46?
If it's the 6-cylinder then the compressor is on a separate belt, so you could remove that to check.
It's an M54, 6-cylinder. I've ran it without the belt for the compressor before (and it still squeaked), but I will try it once again because that was before I had gone all out and changed all of the pulleys, belts, and tensioners. If It still squeaks then what would it narrow it down to? The alternator and the water pump? Thanks.

Post Reply