Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recent Z4 Convert checking in…

First port of call for new members
mutebobby

Post by mutebobby » Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:21 pm

Hey Z4 forumites! A longtime petrolhead, I recently became aware of, and then mildly obsessed with, the E86 Z4 coupe - and will be on the hunt for one very soon. So, signing up here seemed like a wise move.

And so, hello from York!

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:51 pm

Welcome along- be sure to post any potential cars up for members advice. There’s a VERY cheap one advertised on here in Leeds at the no that could be a good start.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

mutebobby

Post by mutebobby » Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:12 pm

Thanks Paddy, will do. And indeed, the Leeds car is one of the ones that spurred the sign up.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Good luck finding the right Coupe, but bear in mind they can be addictive!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:46 pm

Last edited by Fred Smith on Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutebobby

Post by mutebobby » Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:05 pm

@Fred I’ve had a lot of fast hatchbacks, everything from a WRX PPP to an FK8 Type R. But my budget became much more restricted since I became ‘not single’ again and after a disappointing experience with an A45 AMG (massive power and grip and no emotion) and a wonderful experience with my fk8 Type R (less grip, less power but soo much fun) I realised power and AWD wasn’t what I wanted in a car. Subsequently got fixated on MX5s as a massive over correct but always struggled with the lack of power.

Eventually came back to look at Z4s as they were cheap, and realised their reputation of being poor handling hairdresser cars was extremely undeserved. Then discovered the is Coupe having never even knew they existed and realised it ticked all the boxes, was frighteningly affordable and would do me nicely until I could afford a good Cayman. :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:47 pm

I fell in love with the looks of the Coupe the first time I saw one, but it took me years before buying one made sense - still I got there in the end!

When you start viewing them it's worth checking around the edges of the tailgate for rust.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:56 pm

Last edited by Fred Smith on Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:20 am

mutebobby wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:05 pm and a wonderful experience with my fk8 Type R
Best car I have ever owned bar none. And I have had a few!
There is no car made with a finer manual gearbox IMO (you will be disappointed with the bmw offering).

I am surprised you say the FK8 has less grip than a Merc. Maybe had the wrong tyres?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:29 am

Welcome to the Forum from Sunny Cornwall. :)

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:41 am

Good luck in your search . Will be interesting to see your comparisons against other cars you have owned / driven. :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

mutebobby

Post by mutebobby » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:38 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:20 am
mutebobby wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:05 pm and a wonderful experience with my fk8 Type R
Best car I have ever owned bar none. And I have had a few!
There is no car made with a finer manual gearbox IMO (you will be disappointed with the bmw offering).

I am surprised you say the FK8 has less grip than a Merc. Maybe had the wrong tyres?
Don't get me wrong - the FK8 felt like it utterly defied physics in road holding / cornering - truly amazing in that regard. But it was still FWD car and could struggle putting all that power down at times. In all other regards - it was amazing. And yes, I'm fully prepared for disappointment in that transmission. :/