Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z3 project...no going back now!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 25, 2024 8:58 pm

have you disturbed the EWS immobiliser at all- I think Z3's have them same as the 4's?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 25, 2024 9:02 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:57 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:46 pm Get Stuart over to check all the earths.
:poke: :D
:tumbleweed:

Its going to haunt me isn't it
Only cos I know you can take a joke. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 25, 2024 9:28 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:46 pm Get Stuart over to check all the earths.
You know what....that was exactly what it was! :o

Sorted.

When I connected the battery, I fastened the earth post with a 10mm socket. It got tight so I didn't think anything more of it, and the interior light came on so thought happy days). When I put some power on, ie the ignition (fuel pump, etc, etc) it all shut down. Turns out the earth post wasn't tight. Cars' electrics are so fickle when it comes to earthing. Give me 240v AC any day of the week! :headbang:

I took the earth post and cable off and had to struggle to release the nut from the thread. I have no idea why, as it was fine last time I connected the battery. The terminal has been wrapped in plastic aswell, so no dust or swarf has got in the threads! :?

I got the nut off, put a new M6 S/S nut on and re-assembled it. Connected it all up and hey presto she started first time at the flick of the key.
I got her up to full temperature and while warming up I checked all the other stuff that I haven't looked at since I stuck her in the garage. Everything works as it should; heater, heater fan, recirc, lights, etc. Even the A/C runs and so does the aux fan (needs a bit of gas admittedly).

She (see I am now calling it a 'her') runs beautifully. I have installed a K&N air filter because you can't get to the standard one with the body kit on. With no bonnet, the rasp of the intake, allied to the rumble of the Z3 exhaust on the 3 litre M54 is music to the ears.

A shite day ended up as really good one!
IMG_9421.JPG
IMG_9421.JPG (185.6 KiB) Viewed 301 times
IMG_9424.JPG
IMG_9424.JPG (97.17 KiB) Viewed 301 times
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 25, 2024 9:52 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:28 pm A shite day ended up as really good one!
That's great news. :thumbsup:

Things like that can really help with motivation!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:56 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:28 pm rumble of the Z3 exhaust on the 3 litre M54 i
Whats with the giant centipede :)
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:56 pm Whats with the giant centipede
That's the ducting to divert the exhaust gases outside. So the 'rumble' was remote, but still a rumble. Sounds glorious. Hopefully with a quad exhaust it will sound even better. :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 25, 2024 10:14 pm

The eagle-eyed may have noticed the 'christmas tree' lights on the dash. Two are because the DSC sensors have both fried while sitting in water for years (even though it passed it's MOT like that :x ) and the airbag light is because it no longer has airbags installed! :o

Still, on the bright side, the dodgy b'stard who sold me the car left over 3/4 of a tank of (stale) petrol in it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Pondrew on Sat May 25, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Sat May 25, 2024 10:15 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 pm
1536Z4 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:56 pm Whats with the giant centipede
That's the ducting to divert the exhaust gases outside. So the 'rumble' was remote, but still a rumble. Sounds glorious. Hopefully with a quad exhaust it will sound even better. :D
Behave, we all know its the ducting from your cannabis farm :poke: :rofl:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 25, 2024 10:17 pm

Special Kay wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:15 pm Behave, we all know its the ducting from your cannabis farm
Drugs are the ONLY vice I don't do TBH. I do ALL the others. :o

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Sat May 25, 2024 10:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:17 pm
Special Kay wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:15 pm Behave, we all know its the ducting from your cannabis farm
Drugs are the ONLY vice I don't do TBH. I do ALL the others. :o
Mate, I'm just kidding. I don't judge. I think everyone has their own idiosyncrasies and vices.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun May 26, 2024 7:51 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:28 pm
You know what....that was exactly what it was! :o

Sorted.

When I connected the battery, I fastened the earth post with a 10mm socket. It got tight so I didn't think anything more of it, and the interior light came on so thought happy days). When I put some power on, ie the ignition (fuel pump, etc, etc) it all shut down. Turns out the earth post wasn't tight. Cars' electrics are so fickle when it comes to earthing. Give me 240v AC any day of the week! :headbang:

I took the earth post and cable off and had to struggle to release the nut from the thread. I have no idea why, as it was fine last time I connected the battery. The terminal has been wrapped in plastic aswell, so no dust or swarf has got in the threads! :?

I got the nut off, put a new M6 S/S nut on and re-assembled it. Connected it all up and hey presto she started first time at the flick of the key.
I got her up to full temperature and while warming up I checked all the other stuff that I haven't looked at since I stuck her in the garage. Everything works as it should; heater, heater fan, recirc, lights, etc. Even the A/C runs and so does the aux fan (needs a bit of gas admittedly).

She (see I am now calling it a 'her') runs beautifully. I have installed a K&N air filter because you can't get to the standard one with the body kit on. With no bonnet, the rasp of the intake, allied to the rumble of the Z3 exhaust on the 3 litre M54 is music to the ears.

A shite day ended up as really good one!
IMG_9421.JPGIMG_9424.JPG
Superb!!

And I’m glad my ineptitude helps others!

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:56 pm

This must be nearly finished now, it’s been nearly 3 weeks since the last update….. :poke:

:rofl:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:21 pm

I think He's got bored with it :evil:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:57 pm

True-Blue wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:56 pm This must be nearly finished now, it’s been nearly 3 weeks since the last update….
Not quite. :(
The body is sitting ready to trial fit and 'fettle' (I feckin HATE that word. It's a word that really means fecking about with stuff endlessly ) before bonding it all on. The weather has been the problem with that, as I really need to do that outside on the drive and it keeps raining.
I have still been busy, though. I have fitted the MGB seat frames to the Z3 electric bases with lots of ironmongery and swearing. I have fitted new rubber diaphragms and backs to the seats (the foams will be glued on later when they are upholstered). The diaphragms were HORRENDOUS to fit, as they had to be stretched, then hooked onto the frames. The bloody hooks kept 'unbending' because of the pressure needed to stretch the rubber. Got there in the end.
I have re-directed the windscreen washer system and connected it all up. Seems to work OK.
I have made the new 'fake' shiny window winders fit onto two pole switches (so the electric windows can work via 1960s style handles).
I have fitted the boot hinges properly and bonded them in place.
Done all the filling and sanding to get rid of mould lines in the body. There was a 'dent' in the GRP on the offside rear bumper area (poor moulding), so had to fill that and radius it. Seems OK but the painters will be the judges of that!
I am fitting new interior door opening mechanisms and making them fit the Z3 system. All a bit of a bodge but it will work (hopefully reliably).
Tomorrow I am planning on re-routing the window switch wiring, as the Z3 has window buttons next to the gear lever and I need them in the door cards.

I still haven't got my head around 12v DC electrics, though. Especially when EVERYTHING is powered by relays and electronics. I really don't 'do' electronics. For example..I expect a two-way switch to have a common live and two other terminals, so the common livens one of the others when the switch is made. No, it don't work like that on a car where EVERYTHING is controlled by 'modules'. The earth becomes the 'common'. Bloody confusing it is.

Anyway, you asked so there we are! :)

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:31 pm

Forgot....
I have also extended and re-wired ALL the exterior lights. I used heat-shrink on every connection (as I don't want moisture causing problems on joints I can't get to after). All insulated and clipped. I need to test it all actually. :o

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold