Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

JQ Werks Madtrace® BMW G Series Clubsport Magnetic Paddle Shifters

Discussing the current generation Z4
omegabri

Post by omegabri » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 pm

Hi all
Hope everyone is good 👍🏻

My M40i is out of warranty in August, so I'm thinking of one or two upgrades. One of them are the JQ Werks Madtrace® BMW G Series Clubsport Magnetic Paddle Shifters (with the CNC billet aluminium paddles option)
May I ask if anyone has fitted or has experienced these, please? I'd appreciate any reports & thoughts 😉

Cheers all 👍🏻👍🏻
Bri
Daily: 520 M Sport Touring
Fun: G29 M40i Z4

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Thu May 16, 2024 6:46 pm

do you have a link for the G29?

I'm in similar situation as you. My car's warranty runs out in June and I start wanting to do something to it.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu May 16, 2024 7:10 pm

q96169we wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:46 pm do you have a link for the G29?

I'm in similar situation as you. My car's warranty runs out in June and I start wanting to do something to it.
I’d seen these before, may be other/cheaper suppliers :thumbsup:

https://r44performance.com/products/jq- ... =f35bc0f8d

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Thu May 16, 2024 8:32 pm

Meant to add one in 🤦 Sorry.....
    https://arperformance.co.uk/product/jq- ... -shifters/

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Thu May 16, 2024 8:36 pm

I think the magnetic click would be so much better than the rather soft oem paddle action. The Z4 feels exactly the same as my 5 series. I'd like something with a bit more of a sporty feel in the zed 👍🏻👍🏻

ori

Post by ori » Thu May 16, 2024 8:58 pm

They look nice and magnetic means they will feel great. I don’t use the paddle shifters, but if I did this would be an easy decision for me.

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 pm

ori wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:58 pm They look nice and magnetic means they will feel great. I don’t use the paddle shifters, but if I did this would be an easy decision for me.
    I quite often drive it in manual, just so I can get the engine singing a bit 😉 However, I always without fail use the paddle to downshift before and during breaking 👍🏻

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Thu May 16, 2024 10:39 pm

I'm thinking of these as well 👍🏻
    https://performancem.co.uk/choose-your ... 30i-m40i/

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon May 20, 2024 10:09 am

omegabri wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:39 pm

I'm thinking of these as well 👍🏻
    https://performancem.co.uk/choose-your ... 30i-m40i/
    I think I will pass these. The oem brace do their job okay. If I change, I want to change to those found in M4 CSL if it can fit (I doubt it).

But the shift paddle, I'm quite interested in them.

Another thing on my list is exhaust. Maybe Remus racing exhaust. My wife always says it's loud enough but as the driver, I always find it a bit quite in the car, especially after I tried the 718 Spyder.

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Mon May 20, 2024 12:27 pm

I've got probably the same exhaust earmarked. I'm thinking it'll be next year before I get around to the exhaust, but I intend to keep the car for a while so no rush 😉 I do think that the sound needs letting out. The oem exhaust sounds a little restricted to me 🤔🤔

https://progressiveparts.com/product/r ... wQAvD_BwE

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Tue May 21, 2024 11:37 am

omegabri wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:27 pm I've got probably the same exhaust earmarked. I'm thinking it'll be next year before I get around to the exhaust, but I intend to keep the car for a while so no rush 😉 I do think that the sound needs letting out. The oem exhaust sounds a little restricted to me 🤔🤔

My hesitation is that the GPF is the main restrictor to the noise and some people says even straight pipe the backbox may not give you too much of noise over OEM exhause. I will try to find some place (maybe Motech which is not too far away) that may have a B58 car with the Remus exhaust fitted and hear how it sounds. Listen to the Youtube video not always gives me the idea of how it sounds in real world.

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Tue May 21, 2024 3:35 pm

q96169we wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:37 am
    omegabri wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:27 pm I've got probably the same exhaust earmarked. I'm thinking it'll be next year before I get around to the exhaust, but I intend to keep the car for a while so no rush 😉 I do think that the sound needs letting out. The oem exhaust sounds a little restricted to me 🤔🤔

My hesitation is that the GPF is the main restrictor to the noise and some people says even straight pipe the backbox may not give you too much of noise over OEM exhause. I will try to find some place (maybe Motech which is not too far away) that may have a B58 car with the Remus exhaust fitted and hear how it sounds. Listen to the Youtube video not always gives me the idea of how it sounds in real world.
    Be interested in your findings on that 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Smudge10

Post by Smudge10 » Sat May 25, 2024 2:04 am

Back to the OP's question: I installed these and actually like them quite a bit more than the factory paddles. A couple notes from my experience:
    - I got the aluminum paddles and used an aluminum primer, body-colored paint and clear coat. Took a bit of time, but I really like the TN color on the shifters! Use a bit of bright red paint to highlight the "+" and "-" on the respective paddles.
    - You can replace these without removing the steering wheel. Instructions are out there. Let the charge deplete by disconnecting the battery before removing the airbag. Not too bad once you get the hang of the spring latch.
    - Use a couple layers of electrical tape to damp the clacking sound from the strong magnets. Probably will take a few tries to get it to your liking.

I actually like the harder pull required by the stronger magnets in the MadTrace kit. And I don't think changing the paddles will affect your warranty at all.

omegabri

Post by omegabri » Sun May 26, 2024 10:02 am

Smudge10 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:04 am Back to the OP's question: I installed these and actually like them quite a bit more than the factory paddles. A couple notes from my experience:
    - I got the aluminum paddles and used an aluminum primer, body-colored paint and clear coat. Took a bit of time, but I really like the TN color on the shifters! Use a bit of bright red paint to highlight the "+" and "-" on the respective paddles.
    - You can replace these without removing the steering wheel. Instructions are out there. Let the charge deplete by disconnecting the battery before removing the airbag. Not too bad once you get the hang of the spring latch.
    - Use a couple layers of electrical tape to damp the clacking sound from the strong magnets. Probably will take a few tries to get it to your liking.

I actually like the harder pull required by the stronger magnets in the MadTrace kit. And I don't think changing the paddles will affect your warranty at all.
    Great to hear ! I'm looking at getting the alloy ones as well, simply because I think the alloy would offer a more tactile feel 👍🏻

You'll have to put up an image of your finished shifters ! 😉👍🏻

Smudge10

Post by Smudge10 » Sun May 26, 2024 1:17 pm

omegabri wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:02 am You'll have to put up an image of your finished shifters !
    Here you go:
    Attachments
    Car Wheel.jpg
    Car Wheel.jpg (195.09 KiB) Viewed 95 times