Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering wheel issue - resolved

ori

Post by ori » Wed May 15, 2024 2:01 pm

Some of you were aware of strange steering issue I have which is the steering wheel feels notchy with a small about of steering wheel play around the centre point. Was a very strange feeling and was intermittent.

Mentioned it to dealership and they found nothing, but now they have had a service notice on this issue and can identify the issue. The bulletin describes my exact symptoms. They run a specific test on the steering rack and then have to try and reprogram it. If that doesn’t work they replace the rack.

The advisor read me that my car had a fault on the rack at terminal 15 or something like that which controls steering wheel play.

New rack fitted and that should be resolved. Apparently it’s not a common problem, but has happened enough for them to have a service bulletin on it.

Just mentioning it for others who may have this issue develop.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm

Crikey

A Z4 with steering issues

How very 2004 of BMW

😂
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

ori

Post by ori » Wed May 15, 2024 5:24 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm Crikey

A Z4 with steering issues

How very 2004 of BMW

😂
I actually think it might be across a few models that use the same rack. But yeah……it’s poor form.

Lucky this isn’t a serious issue. Just felt weird.

BobandMrg

Post by BobandMrg » Wed May 22, 2024 5:15 pm

ori wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:01 pm Some of you were aware of strange steering issue I have which is the steering wheel feels notchy with a small about of steering wheel play around the centre point. Was a very strange feeling and was intermittent.

Mentioned it to dealership and they found nothing, but now they have had a service notice on this issue and can identify the issue. The bulletin describes my exact symptoms. They run a specific test on the steering rack and then have to try and reprogram it. If that doesn’t work they replace the rack.

The advisor read me that my car had a fault on the rack at terminal 15 or something like that which controls steering wheel play.

New rack fitted and that should be resolved. Apparently it’s not a common problem, but has happened enough for them to have a service bulletin on it.

Just mentioning it for others who may have this issue develop.

Was there ever a noise with your steering issue?

ori

Post by ori » Wed May 22, 2024 8:05 pm

Nope. No noise.

BobandMrg

Post by BobandMrg » Wed May 22, 2024 9:57 pm

ori wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:05 pmNope. No noise.
Thank you 👍🏼