Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drain cleaning for E89 Z4?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Limmys10

Post by Limmys10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm

I've heard of people cleaning their drains and stuff but seems mainly to be on E85 models, is this something that was addressed with the E89? or is it something I should still do in some way and if so, how?

09 E89 Z4 35i DCT

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Limmys10 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm I've heard of people cleaning their drains and stuff but seems mainly to be on E85 models, is this something that was addressed with the E89? or is it something I should still do in some way and if so, how?

No need to clean drains on the e89, just make sure there’s no water ingress into the boot as it has been known :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 pm

I had water getting into the boot on mine, luckily it only got into the small compartment in n the left hand side and not into where the battery and pump are located, I removed the seal along the top edge of the boot (which didn’t look too bad) cleaned all the sealant off and applied some black silicone to the rubber and metal edge and re fitted which has solved the problem, I think I managed to catch it early enough so it didn’t cause any damage
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Classiccarman2

Post by Classiccarman2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:30 am

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem on my E89 2.3i s-drive. When I collected it a week ago, I was checking that the locking wheel nut key, and the warning triangle was there before driving home with it. The cubby hole on the left was full of water and the owner said it must have been the car wash and dried it up. There was no wheel nut key as there were no locking wheel nuts on the wheels! The warning triangle was clipped under thr boot lid.
After the heavy rain of the last few days, the cubby hole has filled up with water again with no sign of water anywhere else in the boot! I will do the sealing method you have described.
Also on reading the owners manual, is there supposed to be a tool kit in a pouch under the boot floor and a first aid kit behind the seats in the netting odds and ends holder? It's a 2011 model and I am the 4th owner so I suppose these sort of things go missing over time but doesn't the tool kit contain the towing hook? Also shouldn't there be floor mats with velcro fastenings. All these things can be easily replaced though. I need to re-stain the leather on the drivers seat edge where the sest belt has scratched and discoloured the red leather but that's a common fault on all of these cars isn't it?
Really pleased with the driving experience so far. This straight 6 engine seems to thrive on being thrashed through the gears which surprised me, but what a sound track! Anybody had the pops and bang re-map on overrun or is that being a bit too boy racerish? What can you expect from a re-map in the performance? I know this engine is not going to give much more power from a re-map. Better fit a supercharger. Has anyone done this? Should have bought the larger 6 engined model 😄

Alfiedog

Post by Alfiedog » Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 pm

I’m finding a small amount of water in the battery side . Any suggestions how to fix or if anyone else has had this issue? Many thanks ( I will check the boot seal and use the black sealant but I’d have thought a drain hole in that area would have been a good idea at the factory 😉 )

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu May 09, 2024 7:47 pm

23i can burble if you use super unleaded, the more upmarket the better. But no bangs!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 pm

Alfiedog wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 pm I’m finding a small amount of water in the battery side . Any suggestions how to fix or if anyone else has had this issue? Many thanks ( I will check the boot seal and use the black sealant but I’d have thought a drain hole in that area would have been a good idea at the factory 😉 )
Often it’s the boot vents that leak ..they are situated behind the bumpers …
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 pm

flybobbie wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:47 pm 23i can burble if you use super unleaded, the more upmarket the better. But no bangs!
Err? :tumbleweed:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu May 09, 2024 8:32 pm

Classiccarman2 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:30 am Hello, I am experiencing the same problem on my E89 2.3i s-drive. When I collected it a week ago, I was checking that the locking wheel nut key, and the warning triangle was there before driving home with it. The cubby hole on the left was full of water and the owner said it must have been the car wash and dried it up. There was no wheel nut key as there were no locking wheel nuts on the wheels! The warning triangle was clipped under thr boot lid.
After the heavy rain of the last few days, the cubby hole has filled up with water again with no sign of water anywhere else in the boot! I will do the sealing method you have described.
Also on reading the owners manual, is there supposed to be a tool kit in a pouch under the boot floor and a first aid kit behind the seats in the netting odds and ends holder? It's a 2011 model and I am the 4th owner so I suppose these sort of things go missing over time but doesn't the tool kit contain the towing hook? Also shouldn't there be floor mats with velcro fastenings. All these things can be easily replaced though. I need to re-stain the leather on the drivers seat edge where the sest belt has scratched and discoloured the red leather but that's a common fault on all of these cars isn't it?
Really pleased with the driving experience so far. This straight 6 engine seems to thrive on being thrashed through the gears which surprised me, but what a sound track! Anybody had the pops and bang re-map on overrun or is that being a bit too boy racerish? What can you expect from a re-map in the performance? I know this engine is not going to give much more power from a re-map. Better fit a supercharger. Has anyone done this? Should have bought the larger 6 engined model 😄
Yes there should be a small tool roll containing the wheel locking key, toe eye and a small screwdriver, also there should be car mats with Velcro on the underside.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:34 pm

Chippie wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:32 pm
Classiccarman2 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:30 am Hello, I am experiencing the same problem on my E89 2.3i s-drive. When I collected it a week ago, I was checking that the locking wheel nut key, and the warning triangle was there before driving home with it. The cubby hole on the left was full of water and the owner said it must have been the car wash and dried it up. There was no wheel nut key as there were no locking wheel nuts on the wheels! The warning triangle was clipped under thr boot lid.
Yes there should be a small tool roll containing the wheel locking key, toe eye and a small screwdriver, also there should be car mats with Velcro on the underside.
Am I missing something or why are folks replying to a 4 year old post?

Last seen 2 years ago..

Is it me?

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 pm

B21 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:34 pm Am I missing something or why are folks replying to a 4 year old post?
No you aren’t missing anything, I just wasn’t paying attention to the date and saw it in the new posts 🤦🏻‍♂️

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu May 09, 2024 9:46 pm

Chippie wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 pm
B21 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:34 pm Am I missing something or why are folks replying to a 4 year old post?
No you aren’t missing anything, I just wasn’t paying attention to the date and saw it in the new posts 🤦🏻‍♂️
Phew..

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu May 09, 2024 10:01 pm

Alfiedog wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 pm I’d have thought a drain hole in that area would have been a good idea at the factory )
Why? The car wasn't designed to have water leaking into the boot area, so there should be no need for a drain.
If BMW thought there should be water ingress as a rule, then you would hope they wouldn't have put so much electrical equipment in there.
Yes, it's a common problem but doesn't mean it was intended to be.
These cars were designed for sunnier climes than the wet and miserable UK, don't forget. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!