Factory Bluetooth - still viable?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
East Coast Z4

Post by East Coast Z4 » Mon May 06, 2024 4:51 pm

My wife and I recently acquired a new to us '06 Z4 with only 30K miles, very pleased with the car for nearing 20 years old. As a society we are now spoiled with Bluetooth capabilities and this car is lacking in that department and it frustrates my wife. After some research on this forum I have discovered our car is prewired, looks like we need a BT antenna module and ULF. The issue or hurdle seems to be acquiring a 13th Gen ULF module (84109154358), I've been searching Ebay and coming up short.

Is the market depleted of these modules or am I not looking in the right places? I would prefer the OEM option and not an aftermarket Bluetooth solution. Thanks.

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon May 06, 2024 5:06 pm

No point going oem, seriously. For a start it can only do voice, not audio. Plus modern bluetooth adaptors will do higher quality (AptX etc). You just either put the adaptor in the boot or behind the stereo, depending what route you go down if aesthetics were the concern?
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

East Coast Z4

Post by East Coast Z4 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:17 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:06 pm No point going oem, seriously. For a start it can only do voice, not audio. Plus modern bluetooth adaptors will do higher quality (AptX etc). You just either put the adaptor in the boot or behind the stereo, depending what route you go down if aesthetics were the concern?
Thanks for the quick reply. Some of the posts I've read mention poor sound quality from the aftermarket units. Maybe these issues have been resolved as technology improves. Is there a specific aftermarket you recommend? The most common I see posted is a GROM kit. Thanks.