Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remote Software Upgrade?????

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Fri May 03, 2024 12:47 pm

Hi folks, been trying to update the software on my 30i via myBMW, message comes up on the phone: Upload complete. Please continue in your BMW........ nothing happens. I had the car in at my local BMW dealership today for a check up (which it flew through), I mentioned about the software and was told it would cost me £160 to investigate it :rofl: anybody else had issues, or is it just me :o

PeterE

Post by PeterE » Fri May 03, 2024 6:14 pm

I had this problem where my M40 just ignored the already downloaded update for a month and just wouldn't install it. I came to suspect that the battery wasn't sufficiently charged as the result of insufficient winter use and even a 20 mile trip to top it up had no effect.

Eventually resolved by leaving a 6A battery conditioner connected for over 24hrs, then off for a drive and in the update went so I suspect that the battery has to be fully-charged completely, not even say at 90% for the update to be applied.

There are a number of references to batterry issues on this forum I believe so if you have an AGM-compatible conditioner try leaving it connected way beyond any charge indicator saying 'done' and see what happens.
Now: 2022 Z4 G29 M40i, SFR/Cognac, Comfort, Driving & Technology Packs, collected 22/02/2022, 2017 Mustang S550 GT 5.0l Manual & 1978 Triumph Stag 3.0l manual
Before: 1974 Jaguar E Type S3 V12 OTS & 2019 Mazda MX-5 2.0l GT Sport Nav+

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri May 03, 2024 7:58 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:47 pm Hi folks, been trying to update the software on my 30i via myBMW, message comes up on the phone: Upload complete. Please continue in your BMW........ nothing happens. I had the car in at my local BMW dealership today for a check up (which it flew through), I mentioned about the software and was told it would cost me £160 to investigate it :rofl: anybody else had issues, or is it just me :o
Which dealer?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sat May 04, 2024 12:32 am

PeterE wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:14 pm Eventually resolved by leaving a 6A battery conditioner connected for over 24hrs, then off for a drive and in the update went so I suspect that the battery has to be fully-charged completely, not even say at 90% for the update to be applied.
Thanks, I read that also, the car only gets used at the weekends and lives in the garage attached to a CTEK, so the battery should be A1. I've tried it on the flat, engine on/engine off, taking it for a run, even parked facing north while dancing round it during a full moon..... you name it, still no go! :cry:

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 am

Scubaregs wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:58 pm Which dealer?
Parks in Hamilton

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue May 07, 2024 1:10 pm

I’ve experienced the exact same problem with last the two updates. The first time after trying several times to get the car to take the update I eventually got the dealer to install it when the car was in for its service. This time, the update transferred to the car easily but no matter what I tried it just would not update the operating system in the car. Went on holiday for three weeks and when I returned I received a message in the car saying that the update had expired. :headbang: :thumbsdown:

ori

Post by ori » Tue May 07, 2024 7:35 pm

My last update wouldn’t happen and it was 100% Battery issue which was replaced under warranty.

Battery would only charge to 56% or something like that.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue May 07, 2024 7:47 pm

One of my updates on the previous Zed wouldn't load. The deaerlship had it on a pendrive which they let me borrow and it loaded whilst having a free coffee and cake
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Wed May 08, 2024 1:25 pm

I personally think the update idea is a bad one.

Cars are getting WAY too complicated... :x :x

I've had it on numerous occasions that the car needs updating, then tried only for it to fail, so gave up...

When I took it in or a minor service I asked the service chap to do an update, but they didn't do it,, why i don't know...

So I tried again at home, and low and behold it actually updated.. :driving: :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Wed May 08, 2024 1:46 pm

Nanu wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:47 pm The deaerlship had it on a pendrive which they let me borrow and it loaded whilst having a free coffee and cake
Pretty poor that there doesn't seem to be any consistency in approach to this by the dealers, as I said mine wanted to charge we £160 for the privilege, I'd would have to eat and drink a lot of coffee and cake to justify that cost :rofl:

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Wed May 08, 2024 1:58 pm

BigDave wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:25 pm Cars are getting WAY too complicated... :x :x
Yes, I must admit for the first two weeks I had the car I spent a lot of time working out what everything did :? I'd taken out another 30i on a test drive a couple of weeks earlier and it didn't have that many extras, didn't feel a lot different to my E89 in some ways. But luckily the one I bought seems to have every option available ticked. I must admit getting into it when it's in my garage reminds me of the recent Top Gun film :cpilot: , I'm 5 minutes setting and pressing buttons before I've gone anywhere! Do like the reverse assist option, takes the car out of the garage and down the side of the house onto the front drive, going to have to invest in some folding palm trees next!

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Fri May 10, 2024 2:10 pm

I had an idea, I'm getting a message on the phone app to say that the files have been downloaded (I guess thats to the phone), so, if I downloaded those files to my Mac and then loaded them onto a usb stick and try the update that way via the connection next to the phone charging pad? Someone said earlier that a dealer did their upgrade via usb stick....