Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FOR SALE 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK 55 AMG V8 convertible RARE FACELIFT 367 bhp FULL history £11995

You must have a post count >25 to post adverts in here (private sales only, no traders)
Timmyboybunter

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK 55 AMG V8 convertible RARE FACELIFT 367 bhp FULL history £11995

Post by Timmyboybunter » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Greetings, my predominantly 4 or 6 cylinder'd friends.

2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG Convertible for sale.

Facelift model, with revised dashboard buttons and engine cover, 6 piston front calipers, revised suspension and steering ratios, various other cosmetic tweaks and less likely to turn into rust.

Hand assembled 5.4 litre V8 with 367 bhp and 376 lbs/ft. 0-60 under 5 seconds according to several road tests, regardless of the 'official' published figures.

This particular car cost the original owner over £70k in 2005 - equivalent to £120k now.

I bought the car in 2022 from a family also in the Bristol area who owned and cherished it since 2010 - I am the 5th owner.

Currently on private registration 'E5 TDB' which will be removed once a sale is agreed, original registration being 'SH05 SAR'.

Current mileage is 100839, which will increase slightly as the car remains in use. MOT valid (with a clean pass - no advisories) until 12th October 2024.

The facelift models are unicorns, given the (relatively) low yearly tax bracket of £415 and being ULEZ free, everywhere.

This example is particularly well specified from new compared to others, including:
Heated* and cooled seats
From and rear parking sensors
Linguatronic
Cruise control
Electrically adjustable steering wheel, seats, headrests etc.
COMMAND navigation
Harmon Kardon audio
CD changer
iPod connection
Multi contour seats
Keyless entry and keyless go*
There were some minor aspects of the car which I thought needed improving, to ensure maximum enjoyment:

1) The throttle response is on the slow side, with a lot of pedal travel required for enthusiastic driving - cured by fitting a 'Race Chip XLR' pedal box

2) No bluetooth phone connection for calls - cured by fitting a Mercedes bluetooth UHI adapter

3) The original gear change buttons on the wheel are not particularly nice to use. I originally changed the buttons to use 'G Paddles' which improved the experience slightly, but still felt very flimsy and plasticy. A genuine CLS63 AMG steering wheel has now been fitted, with the standard metallic AMG paddles - and they are exceptional (and a must-do for any CLK55 owner!), basically giving the CLK63 experience

4) Whilst the car gives a nice induction roar at higher revs, the exhaust noise is disappointing for a high capacity V8. The back box has been replaced with a different item, and the original AMG exhaust tips welded in place - so cosmetically no difference, but it now sounds like a V8 should. This won't be to everyone's taste, so is completely reversible by a competent exhaust fabricator

This car comes with the most complete service history of any car I've ever owned, including all original owners manuals/documents, MOTs, fully stamped service booklet, and receipts for a bewildering amount of maintenance over the years - totalling around £24k. I have two A4 folders to hold it all, summarised in an Excel spreadsheet (which I'm happy to share if an email address is provided) as I'm a big car geek. Some items (but far from all) can be seen in the attached pictures. The majority of work completed by Mercedes main dealers, until 2021.

The car has been very lightly used by the previous owner due to ill health for the 3 years prior to my purchase - as such, some immediate repairs and overdue maintenance was required. The below items have been completed under my ownership:
Gearbox service
Brake fluid replaced
Differential fluid replaced
Wiper blades replaced
Front wheel bearings and speed sensors
New battery
Air conditioning recharge*
Alarm siren replaced (common CLK issue)
Bonnet struts replaced
Multi contour seats vacuum pump replaced
Power steering fluid flush
Full alloy wheel refurbishment (and they remain 100% perfect) with new wheel bolts and center caps
Hunter alignment
Replacement EIS
New starter motor
'A' service (March 2024)
Latest available sat nav DVD
The only item outstanding maintenance wise is spark plugs, from a time point of view - last changed in 2018, but at a mileage of 88k so no burning need.

Other non maintenance items include:
Wind deflector
'5.5 AMG' wing badges fitted (not original, as wing badges were only introduced with the CLK63. These are not the usual poor quality Ebay badges, but are a decent quality metal design imported from the USA. Easily removed, if not to taste)
Genuine Mercedes AMG oil filler cap
Some original magazines including reviews
I always find 100% up front and honest adverts are the best approach, to avoid wasting sellers and buyers time - so below are some considerations (which experienced CLK owners may nod wisely at, prospective owners may learn from), both positive and negative, and outstanding issues/faults for a to-do list. Realistically most CLK's will either suffer from some of these, or have had them addressed already - so check carefully. I have star'd a few items in the description above in reference to the summary below.

1) Driver side heated seat stopped working in March 2024 - was working fine until this point. Not investigated.

2) Air conditioning was working fine after re-charge, but now not blowing cold air - further investigation required.

3) 'Clicking dash' issue (Google for more info). This car has it, but (currently) relates to the charcoal filter flap only. I have the charcoal filter disengaged (button on the dash to do so) which means usually either there are no clicks or they only last for 10 seconds or so. The fix is generally a dashboard out job, which requires time and space (and if doing so, would ideally replace ALL parts known to fail)

4) Keyless go/start. When I bought the car, keyless was functioning for doors and boot, intermittent for 'start/stop' button on the shifter. Now all keyless functions are not working (but the remote central locking all works as expected - basically identical to any other non keyless car). Not bothered in the slightest as these early systems are notoriously easy to clone, so personally would leave in this state (as from what I initially investigated, the keyless function can NOT be disabled)

5) Minor car park scrapes on both near side corners - refer to full set of photos on Auto Trader

6) Front brakes are very, very expensive. They were replaced on this car with genuine Mercedes items at a cost of £1548, at a mileage of 98249 (so just 2590 miles ago). Discs have zero lip, they remain perfect - so won't require changing for a long time.

7) Multi contour seat pumps fail regularly - 2nd hand pump fitted to mine, both sides operating perfectly.

8) Alarm sirens fail regularly due to back up battery inside expiring (leading to flashing indicators and false alarm soundings) - alarm siren replaced with brand new

9) Sometimes the interior alarm sensor triggers the alarm (possibly spider related etc). Generally I disable it, using the button on the dash

10) The drivers door glass is a little rattly - passenger side unaffected. No issues with rear windows/regulators etc.

11) Both seat belt presenters working 100%

12) The car/convertible top is water tight. No issues with the roof, or the closing/opening mechanism (including the folding material by the rear windscreen which can cause issues). No damp footwells, front or rear.

13) Engine bay insulation removed from underneath the bonnet, as is tatty - prefer this look. Original supplied.

14) CTEK battery tender pig tails fitted for easy battery maintenance

15) Offside folding mirror occasionally gets itself out of sync - easy to fix by wiggling

16) Rear bumper has been repainted at some point, noticeable if looking closely

At the advertised price (or very near to), ALL items mentioned in the description above will be supplied fitted to the car with any original items supplied too. If no sale achieved at this price point, certain items bought in my ownership (wind deflector, pedal box, AMG steering wheel, bluetooth adapter) will be removed and sold separately.

Car is located in south Bristol, BS39. Any test drives to be completed by me, maximum of 2 people viewing.

Although an unlikely move, I would consider part exchange for an W212 E63 estate 5.5 Bi-Turbo, will consider pre or post facelift, any colour except black. To assist with that unlikely move from a space point of view, I also have a VW Passat Estate 1.4 TSI valued at around £7.5k which could also be factored in.

Overall this is an excellent example of a car rarely available, and is outrageously good fun - especially since completing the few tweaks described. It quite literally turns heads. I've enjoyed my time with the car and the journey, even the parts most painful on my wallet.

Any questions please ask, or happy to have a phone conversation.

Full set of pictures on Auto Trader.

£11995
Attachments
CLK.jpg
CLK.jpg (239.72 KiB) Viewed 124 times
20240420_154632.jpg
20240420_154632.jpg (286.53 KiB) Viewed 124 times
20240420_154553.jpg
20240420_154553.jpg (194.04 KiB) Viewed 124 times
20240420_154457.jpg
20240420_154457.jpg (302.13 KiB) Viewed 124 times
20240420_153431.jpg