Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking at 3 series BMW convertables

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:44 pm

MikeyH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:19 am That sounds like a lot of trouble to me, think I’ll avoid BMW.
As SARS said the roof mechanism is the same on the E93 as the F33 so most issues would have been sorted.

Had the dreaded water in the rear panel, it can be done at home with a tiny bit of spannering, (Take a look You tube) or get the garage you buy it from to sort it, if buying privately my garage did mine for £60 and its a permeant fix, just get it done from day one as it can also affect the electric rear quarter window motors which fail and can stop the rood lowering as well as the amp.

Touch wood, my roof has been faultless and the transformer thing is a gimmick IMHO, I've used mine once as I never leave the car anywhere with the roof down, not even at home.

Just make sure you get one with the air collar / heated seats / wind deflector as the car can be driven in colder weather with the roof down.

The issue is, no one ever comes onto a forum to say my roof has been great - its always, i have had an issue how do I fix it, I bet there are plenty of cars out there with no issues.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:14 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:05 pm Thank you sars, not in a hurry, just as well as not a lot in this area at the moment. :thumbsup: Quite like the Mercedes e class convertible but seems a bit large compared to the BMW.
So before the 435xd I had the E350D convertible, it was a lovely car, comfortable and a relaxed drive, the only downside was traction, to much torque and not enough grip. The 435xd didn't feel smaller at all and it was a lot more fun, I would definitely have the F33 BMW over the Mercedes
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:20 pm

sars wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:14 pm
MikeyH wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:05 pm Thank you sars, not in a hurry, just as well as not a lot in this area at the moment. :thumbsup: Quite like the Mercedes e class convertible but seems a bit large compared to the BMW.
So before the 435xd I had the E350D convertible, it was a lovely car, comfortable and a relaxed drive, the only downside was traction, to much torque and not enough grip. The 435xd didn't feel smaller at all and it was a lot more fun, I would definitely have the F33 BMW over the Mercedes
We have an e250 vert and you are right not much difference in size, in fact the new c class very is a little smaller than the 4 series from memory, I looked at an e class but remember you said it was like a boat so went for the M4.

Plus the older e class interior is not as nice as a F33 IMHO - just looks very dated, the new ones are much nicer, both ours are 15 plates and the 4 series looks much better and is a better place to sit
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm

The E class is a size larger than the 3 or 4 series, though. They are not made to compete in the same market.

3 (or 4) are equivalent to a Merc C class and the Audi 4 (or 5).

E class is in the same market as the 5 series BM or 6 (and 7) Audrey.

If I was to buy another 4 seat vert, I think I would go Audrey A5.

However, me being me, I have started seriously looking at the latest generation RS6 estate. Fecking expensive; but a supercar estate, what's not to like? :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm The E class is a size larger than the 3 or 4 series, though. They are not made to compete in the same market.

3 (or 4) are equivalent to a Merc C class and the Audi 4 (or 5).

E class is in the same market as the 5 series BM or 6 (and 7) Audrey.

If I was to buy another 4 seat vert, I think I would go Audrey A5.

However, me being me, I have started seriously looking at the latest generation RS6 estate. Fecking expensive; but a supercar estate, what's not to like? :D
We are talking earlier e class & I think the earlier e class (2009 - 2016) Coupé and convertible models of the E-Class of the same generation are W204 C-Class based and known as the C207 and A207, so similar to the four series, they were called e class as they had e class technology on the c class chassis from memory.

L 4670 v 4700 W 2010 v 2020 H 1390 v 1400

The latest generation of e class are made on the e class chassis so definitely bigger and compete with the 5 series.

RS6 - You would be selling that in 2 weeks when you realise it does about 10mpg and cost £1200 for a service :rofl:
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 pm

Thank you all for your really good and sensible advice. Although I prefer a hardtop convertible 4 seater because it is less dingy with the roof up and let’s face, that’s how it will be used most of the time in the winter, I am put off by the trouble we have had with the wife’s Ford Focus CC roof. At the moment I am erring towards the Audi A5 convertible but as always I will change my mind often before I settle on one. When I was looking for a 2 seat roadster I started with mx5s through SLKs, 986 Boxters and Audi TT and ended up with an E85. I haven’t regretted buying it yet. I like the look of the BMW 4 series but they are more than I want to pay for a car, the Audi is more affordable for me. Once again thank you all again your advice as always is very welcome and appreciated :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 am

MikeyH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 pm Thank you all for your really good and sensible advice. Although I prefer a hardtop convertible 4 seater because it is less dingy with the roof up and let’s face, that’s how it will be used most of the time in the winter, I am put off by the trouble we have had with the wife’s Ford Focus CC roof. At the moment I am erring towards the Audi A5 convertible but as always I will change my mind often before I settle on one. When I was looking for a 2 seat roadster I started with mx5s through SLKs, 986 Boxters and Audi TT and ended up with an E85. I haven’t regretted buying it yet. I like the look of the BMW 4 series but they are more than I want to pay for a car, the Audi is more affordable for me. Once again thank you all again your advice as always is very welcome and appreciated :thumbsup:

The four is pretty reliable although I do like the A5 as well and did look at one before I bought the M4.

What is your budget / spec requirements etc as four series can be got for 12k these days

Huzee4

Post by Huzee4 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:37 am

I owned this 2013 320d cabriolet for 8 years, part ex’d last month for a granddaughter friendly X3.
It was a fabulous car had all the toys and a pleasure to drive.
No issues at all with the roof, but did feel a bit chilly on occasions with it folded down unlike my Zed. Rear seat passengers freeze most of the time and leg room is non existent.
On the day I was due to pick up the new car I was emptying the boot and in the plastic lidded storage bin situated in the floor which I hadn’t opened for possibly years I found about six inches of water.
I’d heard other 320 cab owners complaining of boot leakes and always thought I’d escaped as I’d always cleaned the rubbers and used gummi fledge. Dealership gave me £5,500 for it with 54k on the clock, it was back on the forecourt a week later for £9,995 and sold almost immediately.
Attachments
IMG_9446.jpeg
IMG_9446.jpeg (226.3 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Steve

E85 2.5 SE Maldives blue
E89 20i Estoril blue
E89 35iS Alpine White ( Current Zed )

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm

Wow thats a nice looking motor for £5,500k, they are going for well over that surely with only 54k on the clock

The boot water could be form the rear quarter, this can normally be heard sloshing about when starting / stopping the car.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:59 pm My wife wants a hard top convertible as 3 quarter vis is better but yes I had wondered about the reliability of the roof.
My missus had a couple of 220d convertibles. Very nice cars and no issues with visibility that I recall.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 am
MikeyH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 pm Thank you all for your really good and sensible advice. Although I prefer a hardtop convertible 4 seater because it is less dingy with the roof up and let’s face, that’s how it will be used most of the time in the winter, I am put off by the trouble we have had with the wife’s Ford Focus CC roof. At the moment I am erring towards the Audi A5 convertible but as always I will change my mind often before I settle on one. When I was looking for a 2 seat roadster I started with mx5s through SLKs, 986 Boxters and Audi TT and ended up with an E85. I haven’t regretted buying it yet. I like the look of the BMW 4 series but they are more than I want to pay for a car, the Audi is more affordable for me. Once again thank you all again your advice as always is very welcome and appreciated :thumbsup:

The four is pretty reliable although I do like the A5 as well and did look at one before I bought the M4.

What is your budget / spec requirements etc as four series can be got for 12k these days
We don't spend anything like that much on a car, never have. I wont be going past £8,000.00, will be cash don't like that HP malarkey, that is enough considering the wife will park it in sainsbury and lidl car parks :cry: Limits us to A5, series 3 and another focus CC. Not buying French crap again. Keeping to 70,000 miles or less, they are about but miles away. Just need to be patient and of course the wrong time of year. Wife doesn't want hard suspension, says 'If I want a crappy ride I'll go out in the Z4 :rofl:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:21 pm

MikeyH wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm

We don't spend anything like that much on a car, never have. I wont be going past £8,000.00, will be cash don't like that HP malarkey, that is enough considering the wife will park it in sainsbury and lidl car parks :cry: Limits us to A5, series 3 and another focus CC. Not buying French crap again. Keeping to 70,000 miles or less, they are about but miles away. Just need to be patient and of course the wrong time of year. Wife doesn't want hard suspension, says 'If I want a crappy ride I'll go out in the Z4 :rofl:
Huzzee 4 series would have been cracker at £6k and 54k miles and not too far from your daughter in Newport.

The 5 is a lovely looking car but feels much bigger than the 4 series IMHO but the interiors are great.

£8k is a decent amount on a car - just got to to be patient and something will pop up somewhere.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:37 pm

What about a nice old Jag XK8 convertible (pre-2006)? Lovely comfortable ride, V8 engine and come with free rust! :)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... XN&fromsra

A few quid over budget but it's a 'green badge' S. Rare run-out model of the old XK. Not a million miles away and decent mileage. They don't all have bad rust, just most!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:32 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:21 pm
MikeyH wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm

Huzzee 4 series would have been cracker at £6k and 54k miles and not too far from your daughter in Newport.

The 5 is a lovely looking car but feels much bigger than the 4 series IMHO but the interiors are great.

£8k is a decent amount on a car - just got to to be patient and something will pop up somewhere.
Yes would have been, I have to be patient :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:37 pm What about a nice old Jag XK8 convertible (pre-2006)? Lovely comfortable ride, V8 engine and come with free rust! :)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... XN&fromsra

A few quid over budget but it's a 'green badge' S. Rare run-out model of the old XK. Not a million miles away and decent mileage. They don't all have bad rust, just most!
Hmm. Need a cloth cap, cravat and a pipe to drive one of those, looks good though :thumbsup: