Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 values - bottomed out, peaked or something else…?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JimmyRichE85

Post by JimmyRichE85 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm

tomscott wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm E85/6s have been flatlining for about 10 years, pre covid you could pick up 100k 3.0 for sub 3k. The likes of Joel got his YouTube career going off cars like this so I don't think they have flatlined they have increased in value over covid as they are the sports car bargain of the car world really. The appreciation wasn't huge tho and the edge cases are going for good money but non seem to be shifting. Anything in the M world over the 23k bracket is sat and has sat for a long long time.

From the appreciation stand point they haven't moved half as well as other brands. Me and my dad bought a 996 4S convertible in a rare colour combo with 90k right at the beginning of covid for 18.5k had all the checks and all the right work done it just needed cosmetics moved it on 2 years later for £26k. It wasn't to make money just so happened the market went crazy, it was just for fun project and we really enjoyed the car, my dad just decided he wanted something else and got a 981 GTS instead so we sold out and split.

Now that all cars are depreciating Z4s seem to have taken a bit of a dive and also its because people are back to their usual and they are being offloaded but I don't think were quite where we were.

In terms of buying it depends on how you see these cars that are nearly 22 years old. From what I see there are a quite a few camps. People who buy cheap for a season and Z4s are super seasonal (which is why there are so many high owner cars), maybe for a road trip then ditch it. Enthusiasts who want a straight 6 two seater for the weekend and like tinkering probably a second or third car, people who buy these as their only car and pile on the miles, there seem to be loads of people buying, fixing and shifting in the Z4 space atm and the guys who like garage queens and pamper them.

From the milage perspective, if you are happy with accepting the cars as they are and enjoying them because they are cheap and it doesn't make financial sense to get them back to showroom. Or whether like me, im quite anal and mainly take the car to shows, it depends which side of the coin you land on.

Il also preempt this by saying not all high milage cars are the same, the ones that have been well cared are different and if you buy on condition you can get a bargain. It is quite hard to find good condition cars that have good history these days.

I don't think its mechanics that people always worry about with 100+K cars its all the other little bits. Personally I hate all the tactile areas of a car being warn and in poor condition, its the main experience you get at the helm and how you control the car and for me it directly affects the experience of driving the car.

Zs aren't known for having the most quality materials and the interiors do wear especially when lots of small journeys have been done. Seat bolsters - you can repair the leather pretty easily but the foam compresses, deforms and inevitably needs replacing, same with the seat bottom, mines done 80k and compared to the passenger side its a noticeable difference.

Here's an example bart did recently, amazing work on the leather and recolour but the foam is past its best and needs replacing.

IMG_4889.PNG

Things you touch like the steering wheel and button surrounds, soft touch plastics that wear horribly. You can get rid of the coating and then spray them as a DIY but I haven't seen any that look right yet. You can also wrap them in 3m grey matt lam which I have seen some decent results from. But if you were to buy some new surrounds they are like £200 then the buttons are another £250.

My cigarette lighter was broken because the clip its secured with isn't very strong and over the years pulling a plug in and out of it eventually the clip snapped. A replacement panel second hand in good condition was £100. Because mines an M and is soft touch trying to find one in good condition without the soft touch plastic marked or warn was quite difficult.

Most enthusiasts like their car to look good and paint is a key aspect. The Z does suffer more from road rash because it's so low, front end and the side skirts. You can have them repainted cheaply where the panels aren't taken off but it's not going to be the best job and you tend to find water will get under the lacquer and peel over time so its a trade off cost to quality. To have a front end respray done properly is in the region of £1-2k bonnet, bumper and wings.

Trying to find a Z without wear marks on the roof is so difficult too, mine is through the mohair on both sides because it's rubbed against the rubber seal at the back over the years unfortunately it was like this when I bought it but its a 1-4 and finding another was going to be difficult. You can find second hand replacements for £250 but I haven't found one worth buying yet, the only one I have seen worth buying was £600 which was perfect and then if your not handy it needs fitting.

The other elements as have been talked about in loads of threads is stuff like suspension, the Sachs struts are rubbish and leak air so many don't think they need replacing. So many Zs are known to have broken spring issues but it's more likely that the struts have failed and the car is only really on the springs. Regardless of age and milage all E85/6s will need the struts replacing at this point.

When you're talking about cars that are 3-8k then sorting these small bits that all Zs suffer with can rack up pretty quickly and its a reason they are cheap to begin with.

I also think this is why lower milage cars are appealing. They tend to have been used less so these bits are nicer to start with, yes inevitably you will get more depreciation if you end up using it as intended but its harder to sort a car that is already well used than get a lighter used car back up to showroom.

Mines not low milage but not high either averaging 4.5k since it was new. Still looks in pretty good condition.

ImageBMW Z4M Roadster, Zedfest 2023 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW Z4M Roadster Zedfest by Tom Scott, on Flickr

95FD5DC9-4901-441C-AC1D-102DA49DC4E4.JPG

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6463.jpg
(Removed the stickers from the previous owner now!)

People never talk about the money they have spent on their cars... because its a false economy and you will never ever make money when you consider, tax insurance and maintenance.

Im in about 20k on my Z4M. I paid 14.5 for it in 2019 with 63k on the clock, its a rare combo being 1-4 in the uk and I bought it so I could enjoy, its in good enough condition that I could also show it but it also needed some work. Ive done 17k in it so far and current plans are a sus refresh, bearings, mounts and a little bit of a freshen up paint wise it will probably be in the 25k cost space.

WBAC doesn't mean much but they offered me 4.5k for it last week. I laughed and deleted the email.

That being said the trade in market has fallen off a cliff, probably because with decreasing values a lot of dealerships are dealing with massive depreciation of their stock. Z4Ms under 80K are going for 14-28k on autotrader still tho... it would be interesting to see what they actually sell for.

Another element specific to Ms is the cost of maintenance and tax that's another reason they have been cheap and remain cheap. For what the Z offers in M spec for 14k is ridiculous value for money really. You would need to double plus that to buy anything in the Porsche space that also doesn't need 10k spent in the near future.

Thankfully im not interested in selling mine but it does lead to some depressing figures.

Suppose the moral is which ever end you buy from they always need something :rofl:
Fantastic perspective Tom - thank you sharing - and your car looks absolutely stunning!

I think anybody who buys a Z4 thinking its going to make them fortune in appreciation has maybe missed the point!! I agree that they are fantastic value for money and I think when you look at £/smile they're hard to beat :)

One thing I found was that many cars, though having a full service history, were simply not maintained regularly enough - I'm betting its a case of the "Next Service Due" misleading owners - I saw cars that were advertised as having comprehensive servicing only to discover the oil hadn't been changed in 5 years...!! I think I read somewhere that BMW advises annual oil changes...??
2005 E85 3.0i Manual - Black Sapphire
2019 G01 X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Usel

Post by Usel » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:09 pm

JimmyRichE85 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm I think I read somewhere that BMW advises annual oil changes...??
To comply with the BMW warranty the only thing time based is the brake fluid at 2 years. Everything else is mileage based.

Z4's are a tinkerer's dream tbh, lots of second hand parts and many things to oem or aftermarket mod to the car.

coldel

Post by coldel » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 pm

It is funny, I have run out of things to tinker with on the Z4, whereas on previous Japanese cars it was endless.

I think there seems to be a thing around keeping European cars pretty much standard looking but japanese cars culturally are meant to be wildly extravagant. I must admit I had more fun tinkering with my previous Japanese cars than my last two German ones :D
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 pm

JimmyRichE85 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 am Fundamentally, for me, when searching for “The One” it was a case of 2 other important factors- head vs heart and a quote my father used to say - the value of something is only as much as somebody is prepared to pay…. My car ended up being right at the top end of the market and above my original budget but after seeing and driving it and realising I would struggle to find anything like it, then I rationalised it was worth it to me … 3 months in and I have no regrets whatsoever 😎😎😎 though find myself constantly making mini investments on items to enhance the car in any small way 😜
As someone who values for a living (not cars!) I think it is worth (no pun intended) being clear about two concepts in valuation.

Value or market value - what you can reasonably expect a knowledgeable and prudent market to pay after proper marketing.

Worth - what something is worth to a particular person or class of person.

For example the market value of a 50k mile immaculate E86 manual in montego blue might be £15k (it might also be £12k, dunno). The worth to me today is probably £8k (at that price I can cope with the s**t the other half would give me and I might be able to convince her it is an investment. The worth to Mr Jacobs who has fantasized about one exactly like that since he was a child and has just won euromillions might be £40k. The worth to a dealer might be £8k or £10k.

It is completely rational to pay what something is worth to you, even if that is above market value... so long as you are not concerned with resale price and so long as there are none available at market value.

As for some other things on this thread... a month of Z4 E86 ownership and I am already considering trying to buy myself an estate with the N52 engine... mine has 142k on the clock and the engine seems (fingers crossed) sweet as.

I rushed fairly quickly into pulling the trigger and in some ways I think I overpaid despite only paying £3.7k... it would be easy to spend £3k on the car and it's never gonna be a £7k car... on the other hand it only needed £400 spent to sort out the key issues the the other issues can be dealt with by myself I think.

I looked at a high miler (125k) for £9.5k when I was looking. The seller (a dealer) laughed at me when I said I liked it, but I thought the price was too high and that he should get in touch if he drops the price. A month or two later it's come down £1,500. The cheeky f-er even said to my face that there was more chance of me coming back to him after realizing what a good deal it was - there was NO CHANCE of him dropping the very fair price (lol). Seriously tempted to call him up and ask to see it again only this time turn up in my Z4 and offer him £5k

Edit - sorry just realized my post is a derail about E86s not E85s. FWIW I have just had a look at all the Coupes on ebay at the moment... most were listed a month ago (and maybe much longer)... a few have had £1k to £1.5k knocked off the asking price. Not sure how many are selling.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

I've only had E86s but they seem to have bottomed out years ago, and I expect E85s did much the same.

I bought my first Sport Coupe in 2014 on 54K miles for £9,600 and foolishly sold it for £10K in 2016 on 62K. The next owner advertised it in December 2021 for £9,300 on 95K miles and sold it pretty quickly.

Meanwhile I bought a replacement in May 2016 on 77K for £8,600 but struggled to shift it in early 2020 on 91K miles - got less than £7K. But now I'd have probably have got my money back.

Still I got a good deal on the MC I bought in December 2019 which made up for it!

In my experience prices seemed to bottom-out around 2014, tanked in late 2019 then took off post lock-down.

But there are bargains out there, especially if you aren't obsessed with mileage.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JimmyRichE85

Post by JimmyRichE85 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:08 am

By an uncanny coincidence, one of the cars I have on my watch list sold yesterday - a 2006 E85 3.0si Sport Manual - 71k miles, 5 owners, nice spec from a reputable dealer - been for a sale for just over 1 week and advertised at £8,990 - which I suspect wasn't discounted too much given this dealer's position in the market..
2005 E85 3.0i Manual - Black Sapphire
2019 G01 X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:43 pm

tomscott wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm E85/6s have been flatlining for about 10 years, pre covid you could pick up 100k 3.0 for sub 3k. The likes of Joel got his YouTube career going off cars like this so I don't think they have flatlined they have increased in value over covid as they are the sports car bargain of the car world really. The appreciation wasn't huge tho and the edge cases are going for good money but non seem to be shifting. Anything in the M world over the 23k bracket is sat and has sat for a long long time.

From the appreciation stand point they haven't moved half as well as other brands. Me and my dad bought a 996 4S convertible in a rare colour combo with 90k right at the beginning of covid for 18.5k had all the checks and all the right work done it just needed cosmetics moved it on 2 years later for £26k. It wasn't to make money just so happened the market went crazy, it was just for fun project and we really enjoyed the car, my dad just decided he wanted something else and got a 981 GTS instead so we sold out and split.

Now that all cars are depreciating Z4s seem to have taken a bit of a dive and also its because people are back to their usual and they are being offloaded but I don't think were quite where we were.
This is a really good summary. I almost bought a Z4 a few times before I got into my first one in 2019, and prices didn't really seem to have moved in the 3-4 year period between me first checking and buying. There was a brief period of silly season during COVID where all ships rose with the tide, and good Z4s were changing hands for strong money. Now we're at the bottom of the curve again as all used car values have declined, and back to where values were when I first started looking in 2016 or so.

The problem with the Z4 (and why I love them as such a bargain), is that they don't really have any one thing going for them that's going to guarantee an increase in value. Sure they will eventually become scarce, but that's true of all cars and in no way a guarantee of appreciation.

They weren't revered by the magazines and coveted by people who couldn't afford them when they were new. That's why they are miles behind the values of the equivalent S2000 or Boxster. They aren't the Gran Turismo cars that my generation lusted after. They don't have the cult following and 'scene' associated with things like MX5s either.

They don't have a history of motorsport use, so kids didn't have posters of them on their bedroom wall that would later turn into impulse purchases in adulthood.

There are a LOT of Z4s still on the road. There are 10s of thousands of Z4s still MOT'd and insured, and 600+ for sale on Autotrader alone. While you might contend that a good example with a more desirable engine is worth more, it's not a 'halo' car that attracts attention and value through scarcity. Look at the values of Sapphire Cosworths back when there were still thousands of humdrum Sapphires on our roads.

More importantly than all of the above, and unlike the cars that have gone stratospheric in recent years, they aren't disappearing from our roads in their thousands through terminal rust and scrappage schemes.

I'd dearly love the Z4 to be a future classic that I could bet my retirement on, but the truth is that I'd have enjoyed a significantly better return by putting my money on the FTSE than by buying a Z4 in 2016. I'm no Mystic Meg, but I just don't see them catching up to similar cars for a long time yet.

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:48 pm

All of the above notwithstanding, really good examples of late 3.0Si E85s, with low miles, will still have some appeal to buyers who want and are willing to pay a premium for 'the best' of Z4s. The downside is that this isn't a huge pool of buyers based on everything I've written above, so these cars are likely to hang around for a while relative to things like S2000s and Boxsters. Someone paying £10k for a 3.0Si when the equivalent 987S Boxster is a fundamentally better car in almost every way would really need to want the Z4 to be in the market for one.

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:33 pm

I think that a big part of it is that BMW are a company that are known and loved for their great saloon cars and (to a lesser extent) estates. You might somewhat associate BMW with power and sporty performance, but no-one (apart froma Z3 or Z4 owner maybe) thinks "sports car" when the word BMW appears.

If you're a Rolls Royce fan its because you like big luxury cars; if you love Tesla its because you love electric or Musk... no-one is lining up to buy a Rolls Royce hatchback city car, or buying a petrol-engined Tesla, and no-one is a BMW fanboy because they love their sports cars, BMW fansboys love the M3s and the big luxury saloons!

[Caveat... I can see myself becoming a BMW fanboy as a result of buying one of their sports cars, but that is a bit different.]

STC_Zed

Post by STC_Zed » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:33 pm I think that a big part of it is that BMW are a company that are known and loved for their great saloon cars and (to a lesser extent) estates. You might somewhat associate BMW with power and sporty performance, but no-one (apart froma Z3 or Z4 owner maybe) thinks "sports car" when the word BMW appears.

If you're a Rolls Royce fan its because you like big luxury cars; if you love Tesla its because you love electric or Musk... no-one is lining up to buy a Rolls Royce hatchback city car, or buying a petrol-engined Tesla, and no-one is a BMW fanboy because they love their sports cars, BMW fansboys love the M3s and the big luxury saloons!

[Caveat... I can see myself becoming a BMW fanboy as a result of buying one of their sports cars, but that is a bit different.]
I’m a dies in the wool BMW fanboy and agree that they’ve struggled with their sports cars. The Z4 wasn’t helped by being seen as a competitor for the Boxster / Cayman. They were never really going to compete with them using chassis and engines form a 3 series….although the engines are not necessarily a bad thing given some of the expensive issues with Porsche engines.

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 pm

STC_Zed wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm I’m a dies in the wool BMW fanboy and agree that they’ve struggled with their sports cars. The Z4 wasn’t helped by being seen as a competitor for the Boxster / Cayman. They were never really going to compete with them using chassis and engines form a 3 series….although the engines are not necessarily a bad thing given some of the expensive issues with Porsche engines.
Soon after buying my E86 I realized a couple of things about Porsche... I don't know much about them at all, and I don't compare them to other cars! I love the E86 because it's a lovely version of that classic long bonnet, steep windscreen, long sloping back end look in the tradition of cars like the Triumph GT6, (don't laugh) Ford Capri and some of the TVRs and I look at Porsches and they are just not in the same category visually at all. Then you have the cost issues and I wonder the extent to which they are competition at all.

Porsches are there own special thing... a lovely thing but not a thing that particularly interests me.

I think E85 and E86s probably also suffer due to sitting in between the likes of an XK8 and a MX-5... if you want a sports car go MX-5, if you want a comfortable car go XK8... the Z4 is for the people who want something in the middle.

I would really like to see a group of top notch, unbiased, honest motoring journos try to go through a variety of GTs and sports cars that can be bought used for under £20k or £30k and really try to nail down which are the best "drivers cars" and - more importantly - which are the best drivers cars on a "bang for your buck" basis. Watching someone like JayEmm on youtube talk about how driving an E86 is more fun than his Lamborghini makes me realize that in many ways we look at cars on the basis of which one gets round a track quicker, when there is no direct correlation between the fastest track car and the most fun road car.

deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 pm

I have had a couple of XK8s, they are flash, but not particularly fun, early cars are cheap enough but rust like hell, the first was reliable but the 2nd had to have a gearbox rebuild at 70k, they are comfortable but no more than my Z4 E85 2.5si the boot is big enough for touring and we drove to Madrid and back last year with no discomfort. Performance is similar but the Z4 is far more fun and will do 38mpg instead of 22mpg, a reliable car can be bought for £2500, selected low milage 6cyl cars cost £5k and up, excellent value if you want 2 seater convertible.

STC_Zed

Post by STC_Zed » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 pm
STC_Zed wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm I’m a dies in the wool BMW fanboy and agree that they’ve struggled with their sports cars. The Z4 wasn’t helped by being seen as a competitor for the Boxster / Cayman. They were never really going to compete with them using chassis and engines form a 3 series….although the engines are not necessarily a bad thing given some of the expensive issues with Porsche engines.
Soon after buying my E86 I realized a couple of things about Porsche... I don't know much about them at all, and I don't compare them to other cars! I love the E86 because it's a lovely version of that classic long bonnet, steep windscreen, long sloping back end look in the tradition of cars like the Triumph GT6, (don't laugh) Ford Capri and some of the TVRs and I look at Porsches and they are just not in the same category visually at all. Then you have the cost issues and I wonder the extent to which they are competition at all.

Porsches are there own special thing... a lovely thing but not a thing that particularly interests me.

I think E85 and E86s probably also suffer due to sitting in between the likes of an XK8 and a MX-5... if you want a sports car go MX-5, if you want a comfortable car go XK8... the Z4 is for the people who want something in the middle.

I would really like to see a group of top notch, unbiased, honest motoring journos try to go through a variety of GTs and sports cars that can be bought used for under £20k or £30k and really try to nail down which are the best "drivers cars" and - more importantly - which are the best drivers cars on a "bang for your buck" basis. Watching someone like JayEmm on youtube talk about how driving an E86 is more fun than his Lamborghini makes me realize that in many ways we look at cars on the basis of which one gets round a track quicker, when there is no direct correlation between the fastest track car and the most fun road car.
I agree; my E86 looks and feels very unique. It’s powered by one of the best none M engines, is RWD and manual. It’s very pretty, and to me it’s aged better than a Boxster or a Cayman inside and out.

Yes the Porsche will be a better car to drive, but they have some pretty big potential issues. The cost of entry to a good Z4 is pretty reasonable as are the running costs vs. performance. As a used buy they make a lot of sense but I totally get how they ended up in no man’s land when new.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:56 pm

DaveP wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:48 pm All of the above notwithstanding, really good examples of late 3.0Si E85s, with low miles, will still have some appeal to buyers who want and are willing to pay a premium for 'the best' of Z4s. The downside is that this isn't a huge pool of buyers based on everything I've written above, so these cars are likely to hang around for a while relative to things like S2000s and Boxsters. Someone paying £10k for a 3.0Si when the equivalent 987S Boxster is a fundamentally better car in almost every way would really need to want the Z4 to be in the market for one.
The difference with the 987 is because its based on the 911 platform its pretty much 80% a 911 so cost to look after is high. Like Z4s buying a Porsche product is a nightmare in this kind of price bracket you might see two 987 same year milage and spec but one might be 5k more. Similar to my point on the M they need maintenance and it's far more costly than a 3.0SI.

Its also really hard to find a well serviced 987 as they are seen as 'basic Porsches' but again they are based on the same platform, same engines just different bore.

I bought a 987 3.2 after I sold my Z4M coupe, I went traveling for a year and spent the money and wanted to buy something cheap to get back into a sports car.

It was a lovely spec car 70k extended leather, Bose, chrono, elec memory seats, manwell etc etc it was £10250 back in 2018, test drive it drove really well no signs of anything. Drove it home and I did 1000 miles in the first weekend and it started making some odd noises... I took it to a Porsche specialist and I knew it needed a bit of maintenance as it was cheap back then. It needed discs and pads all round, the air con condensers needed replacing. Then there are the bits you can't see, the clutch was a little sloppy and it turned out the IMS had gone and oil was leaking though and onto the clutch plate. So just to do these items was going to be 5k as it needed a new clutch and flywheel too. Then onto the noise... they put a camera down to check bore score and what do you know... it wasn't too bad but there was something else causing the noise. At this point it needed a full rebuild and the cost to repair exceeded the cost of the car. I took it back to the company I bought it from and got my money back under consumer law.

The 3.2 is meant to be the safe option too... honestly I thought the 987 was really boring to drive the 3.2 had no power compared to the M and I just didnt get on with it at all so I was kind go glad that it went. I love the axe murder nature of the Z4 and the Boxster is pedestrian in comparison as it just hits every apex does everything you tell it super clinical. To most that is perfect but to me it just had no personality I like a car you can catch on the edge and the Boxster you couldn't get it near the edge it just stuck like glue. Like I say I know im weird but I got my first Z4M at 23 and just learned how to drive quickly in that car.

They came out in 2005 54/05 so you're talking a 20 year old car. Same things apply like the M the suspension will be ready for an overhaul and the cost to replace is a bit more than the Z, discs are big and ventilated and cost similar to the M to replace, similar to the 911 brake lines replacement means steering rack/front subframe out to replace the front lines and engine/gearbox out to replace the rear.. Honestly I could go on but like I mentioned above you could be 10k in and wouldn't know as most of these things you can't see which is why getting an inspection before buying is vital on any Porsche product.

You wouldn't have any bills like that on a Z4 3.0 everything is cheap compared to the M or any Porsche product.

It's a false economy buying a cheap 987 as I learned. If you bought one that had everything done your in much higher price bracket than 10k and then your not far off a 997 but again same principle. You can find early 997s for 20k or up to 40k big price differences and you have to be super careful as I was very lucky being within that 2 week return window.

The 996 that I bought was the opposite as I learned my lesson! It had everything done to it previous to us buying it, some other poor guy had spent nearly 15k on it in the last 2 years and it needed the suspension doing as the 4s vert is a really heavy car its quite noticeable. It was a late 54 and it had over 35ks worth of paper work with it :rofl:

Like I say completely different proposition.

STC_Zed

Post by STC_Zed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:47 am

tomscott wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:56 pm
Lots of good stuff
Totally agree; I was tempted my a 987. They look crap with the roof up but great with the roof down and on the face of it they looks good value for money….and then you start looking into the potential pitfalls and the repair costs can outweigh the cost of the car almost!

It’s a funny world because BMw seem to get panned online for the rod bearing issues in the S54 etc yet people accept the risk of an IMS bearing or bore score. I know two people with 996’s who have both had to take their cars to Hartge; it’s almost just accepted. Crazy world.

The ruining costs are low gonna Z4 especially a none M car. Even after my E92 335i it’s cheap for stuff like discs and pads.