Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise control doesn't work

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rhapsodicboom

Post by rhapsodicboom » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:13 am

I retro fitted mine years ago but I think there's a manual on this forum somewhere. Maybe have a look and compare to the manual of all connectors are where they should be.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:25 am

That looks like someone has set up a daisy chain of power feeds for some sort of accessories to be plugged in.

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:38 am

Rockhopper wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:25 am That looks like someone has set up a daisy chain of power feeds for some sort of accessories to be plugged in.
Does have that feel to it, but then two unplugged plugs and a non-functional but seemingly neatly integrated cruise control does seem like a bit of a coincidence?

What would happen if I’d connect brown to purple-yellow and vice versa?
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

WavyMcGravy

Post by WavyMcGravy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:10 pm

I know this thread has been dormant for a few months, but just thought I'd share my journey into cruise control fitting and add it to this thread rather than start a new one.
I've got a pre face lift 2004 2.5i. Got myself a stalk from Sytners last week for £98, which I thought was quite reasonable tbh. Found the connector and plugged it in. Dremelled out the cowling. Took it out for a drive- nothing. No cruise.
Checked fuses, checked the connector. All looked good. After reading this thread, thought it might be the clutch switch. Got myself into the footwell, to see a clutch switch tie wrapped into position. Didn't look quite like the one I found one realoem. Phoned Sytners- £45 for a new one. Seemed a bit steep. Found a mini breakers near to me on ebay. Got a genuine used one from there for a fiver.
The new one clicked into place rather than tie wrapping.
Took it for a drive, and it works! Thanks to Barty and srhutchfor suggesting the clutch switch in the first place. Hope you've got yours sorted Barty.

Laysula

Post by Laysula » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:22 pm

Not sure how old this thread is, but rather than start another one I thought I would ask here first. My cruise control is occasionally working. once it connects it's fine and all functions work until I stop the engine and restart the car. All the wiring and connections seem fine which just leaves the stalk itself or the clutch sensor. Is there anyway to test these out if I remove them? I don't really want to go down the road of buying replacements unless I know what if anything is faulty.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:13 pm

Laysula wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:22 pm Not sure how old this thread is, but rather than start another one I thought I would ask here first. My cruise control is occasionally working. once it connects it's fine and all functions work until I stop the engine and restart the car. All the wiring and connections seem fine which just leaves the stalk itself or the clutch sensor. Is there anyway to test these out if I remove them? I don't really want to go down the road of buying replacements unless I know what if anything is faulty.
Have you still got the 2.0 litre? Is it an OEM fit cruise control that has just started misbehaving?

Easiest way to test the switch is to swap it into another Z4 (any E85/E86), if you know of anyone close by, but this seems to be the least likely culprit.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Laysula

Post by Laysula » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:45 pm

Yes it is the 2 litre, It's a retro fit used stalk