Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Disa valve advice please

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Disa valve advice please

Post by john-e89 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:53 pm

markplant wrote:If you find it a relative straight forward job with the kit you ordered, would you do another for some monies :thumbsup:
No, but I'll do it for nowt though.

I'll do mine then give you a shout Mark. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Disa valve advice please

Post by markplant » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm

john-e89 wrote:
markplant wrote:If you find it a relative straight forward job with the kit you ordered, would you do another for some monies :thumbsup:
No, but I'll do it for nowt though.

I'll do mine then give you a shout Mark. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: a large drink at least
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Disa valve advice please

Post by Grumpyowl » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:01 pm

It's an absolute doddle of a job Mark. You don't have to be a mechanical genius and good vids to follow on YouTube. :thumbsup:

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Disa valve advice please

Post by markplant » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Grumpyowl wrote:

It's an absolute doddle of a job Mark. You don't have to be a mechanical genius and good vids to follow on YouTube. :thumbsup:
I did buy the i6 one an the instructions just put me off. Was worried would break or loose something
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Ant

Disa valve advice please

Post by Ant » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 pm

used the i6 unit myself, grand job

BigDaddy

Disa valve advice please

Post by BigDaddy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm

Just bought a kit from x8r. The flap on mine was spinning freely on the pin shaft so it wasn’t working at all. I have no idea whether the car will drive better after the kit is fitted but I hope so as I think it’s been like this since way before I bought it.
2004 E85 3.0 Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Disa valve advice please

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

BigDaddy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm Just bought a kit from x8r. The flap on mine was spinning freely on the pin shaft so it wasn’t working at all. I have no idea whether the car will drive better after the kit is fitted but I hope so as I think it’s been like this since way before I bought it.
Should do. And peace of mind that it isn't going to set off for a chat with the valves. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BigDaddy

Disa valve advice please

Post by BigDaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 am

One thing I was wondering is when I put my finger over the release hole to test the diaphragm, the pin does move a little before stopping. Is that an issue? Didn’t know whether a replacement wouldn’t move at all. Mine does the same as this dudes:

https://youtu.be/3lr4vfey7IY?si=mYc0I4Wb0jOl7sBo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Disa valve advice please

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:01 am

BigDaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 am One thing I was wondering is when I put my finger over the release hole to test the diaphragm, the pin does move a little before stopping. Is that an issue? Didn’t know whether a replacement wouldn’t move at all. Mine does the same as this dudes:

https://youtu.be/3lr4vfey7IY?si=mYc0I4Wb0jOl7sBo
I think they all move a little bit until the vacuum takes effect. Certainly all the ones I’ve tested do.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BigDaddy

Disa valve advice please

Post by BigDaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:17 am

That’s great, cheers for that. I didn’t want to buy a whole new unit unless I had to. Looking forward to getting the kit today, will update for any interested parties after fitting.

BigDaddy

Disa valve advice please

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 am

Have now rebuild the disa and put it back on the car. It goes much better now! Before the flap was completely loose on the shaft so essentially was open all the time just banging and flapping around at will. The car wasn’t slow but it wasn’t very peppy really and I was mildly disappointed. Now it is more responsive and picks up much better from low revs. The X8R kit is pretty nice really, the new part feels good quality and is really smooth.

I guess the improvement people would get is dependent on how knackered their disa is in the first place but if it was totally knackered like mine then it is a worthwhile fix.

I had no check engine lights or noise so it goes to show it is still worth checking even if you don’t think you have a problem. Without this forum I wouldn’t even have thought to check, but glad I did.