Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Freya

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
steve69

Freya

Post by steve69 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 pm

After reading this you're all going to think im nuts but so be it :rofl:

The new Z4's being named Freya, Norse Godess of love and beauty (and fertility, and as a bloke with 12 siblings seems likely we're a good match) who's origins date back to the mythology of the germanic peoples who historically inhabited, you got it... Germany!

So, I've been on a bit of a spending spree ordered some door speakers from a member in cardiff, soundproofing and some butyl tape and i'm going to be installing it all this weekend. For those who are acoustically inclined i've gone with a layer of MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) topped with some high density closed cell foam and then a pretty thin layer of egg crate style foam. This should take care of airborne sound and some impact noise / vibrationary sounds. I'm not sure how much space i'll have to work with with the doorcard out, but im going to use every cm of spare room inside the door to insulate it as much as possible.

The ultimate goal here is to dampen the road sound travelling through the door as much as possible, and also to provide a more high quality, heavy feel and closing noise to both the passenger and drivers side doors. This equally will dampen rather than reflect audio within the cockpit itself, which should provide a better sound quality by minimising reflection and bounceback of audio waves and just dissipating them on the way out :)

I'll take some pictures, perhaps some video footage as well documenting the work. I'll be disconnecting the battery before I start working as ill probably ending up taking the airbag out of the door, but i've also picked up a CAM bus to USB adapter so i'm hoping if I trip anything airbag wise I can reset it without too much of an issue.

I'm also going to be greasing the steering column at the bottom where the teeth are, and silicon spraying the UJ's to try and get rid of the steering noise i'm having. I'll take some pics of that also as I crack on. Aiming to work on it, figure out how to do it following written tutorials and film it once i've figured it out and posting instructional videos on youtube for others who want to do the same work in the future.

Watch this space!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Freya

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 pm

Made perfect sense to me. All hail to Freya. :D
:worshipbmw:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Freya

Post by Nictrix » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 pm

I thought they were made in America 🇺🇸
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

steve69

Freya

Post by steve69 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:45 pm

Engine and drivetrain where built in Munich I believe.

Her hearts german, shes just an ex-pat. Couldn't hack their sense of humour or lack thereof

steve69

Freya

Post by steve69 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 pm

Ordered a Z4 Forum sticker for the rear-window! My Mrs is gonna go nuts when she sees my bank statement this month :?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Freya

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Keep the statement hidden then. :wink:

Anyway good luck fettling Freya. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Freya

Post by Pondrew » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:18 pm

steve69 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 pm The new Z4's being named Freya, Norse Godess of love and beauty (and fertility, and as a bloke with 12 siblings seems likely we're a good match) who's origins date back to the mythology of the germanic peoples who historically inhabited, you got it... Germany!
See, I've named all my cars aswell.
I have PITA at the moment (and NO it's not named after a type of Greek bread). :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

1536Z4

Freya

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 pm

Looking forward to the results :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

steve69

Freya

Post by steve69 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:13 pm

Afternoon Gents!

So I ordered a set of OEM midrange speakers from Umfaan and some soundproofing for the doors. Initially I went for 3 layers, Closed cell foam, mass loaded vinyl and some soft foam eggshell proofing. After posting on 'what have you done to your z toda...' someone pointed out that the soft foam would soak up water like a sponge, and rot my door from the inside out! What a numpty I can't beleive I didn't think of that. I promptly reopened the doors, removed all the proofing, rust treated the lot and applied a layer of hammerite waxoyl to top any pesky rust from forming!

I then applied mass loaded vinyl, butyl and foil soundproofing and closed cell foam, the three layers make so much difference. The door feels heavier, closing it doesn't create a tinny rattling noise and overall the cockpit is quiter as your driving around. During this however, I ended up with an airbag warning :headbang:

I tested the door wiring loom as this is all i'd really touched, and got a good circuit reading. ColB kindly ran Freya through a full test on his launch tablet, and I had the following errors:
98EA SBSR: Resistance, Firing Circuit, Thorax Airbag, Rear Right (E85, E60, E61), Or Knee Airbag, Front Right (E63, E64), Too Low
98F5 SBSR: Resistance, Firing Circuit, Safety Battery Terminal (E85), Or Belt Tensioner, Rear Right (E6x), Too Low
98ED SBSR: Open Circuit, Firing Circuit, Thorax Airbag, Rear Right (E85, E60, E61), Or Knee Airbag, Front Right (E63, E64)

Clearing the error would clear the dash light until the car was restarted, it'd then appear again. After some research, the satellite module essentially checks the resistance to detect the airbag within the door. If the resistance is off by quite a small margin, then the airbag light shows. So even though the loom didn't test with a multimeter as having a broken circuit, it was damaged enough to throw the light.
DISCLAIMER: DON'T PUT A MULTIMETER ON THE AIRBAG ITSELF, IT PUTS A CHARGE THROUGH TO TEST RESISTANCE AND THIS CAN TRIGGER THE AIRBAG IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Umfaan met me at Colb's Zed Shed on sunday, we replaced the loom and the error cleared! Happy days. A donation to the Shed later and I have no warning light. We actually soldered the undamaged connector onto my loom as the replacement loom Umfaan had was for a 6 pin window motor, mine was 2. With a decent solder joint, it's not a problem.

It's worth noting BMW Scanner 1.4 / PA Soft could not read these errors, or clear them. 10 points to owning a proper diagnostic tablet! I think i'll pick up a launch x431 myself!

So, Freya's lights have all been replaced with LED's, interior and exterior, she looks modern and sexy!

I've treated the soft top with autoglym soft top protect, but im not very impressed, it's hardly hydrophobic. I've done some research and ordered Fabsil gold silicon waterproofer, seems to be held in very high regard, and is only £14 on amazon. Shes also had a hand wash, wax and polish

I have some titan silver touch up paint on order, and some medium cut, high gloss polish. I'll be treating all the stone chips and polishing out the scratches. I've previously had amazing results with this work, invisible stone chips from any further than a couple of inches away. I aim to write a guide / create a video for this.

Left to do:
1. Coolant leak from radiator, new radiator is going in on Sunday.
2. Rear lights are going to be replaced with facelift. I have the bumper sourced.
3. PDC sensors need replacing, 2 have failed. Will replace with the rear light upgrade.
4. Need to replace the heated rear windscreen relay as this has failed
5. Creaking noise in steering, will take a further look when i have a 2nd pair of hands around next weekend.
6. Touch up the paint work
7. Get a sexy 'Freya' vinyl print for just behind the wheel arch on each side. If anyone knows anyone who can print something like this in the west country, please let me know.
8. Windscreen and a new surround, found a crack in the top right while polishing. It's not visible from the interior at all, it's edge to edge but right up in the farside corner. Still worth doing as it's just an excess payment and doesn't effect no claims.
9. Source some 108's and have them refurbed to new condition. because the 103's I have are in rough shape. Then get some PS4's or F1's, still not sure which I prefer

^ This will grow ofcourse!

Watch this space gents!
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.19_ec345b48.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.19_ec345b48.jpg (107.57 KiB) Viewed 84 times
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.19_516cf1cf.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.19_516cf1cf.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 84 times
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.19_2c347ced.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.19_2c347ced.jpg (75.66 KiB) Viewed 84 times
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.18_ded5377c.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.18_ded5377c.jpg (74 KiB) Viewed 84 times
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 17.51.18_5c0cbe32.jpg