Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD Reader

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Reader

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:21 pm

darich wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:28 am
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:22 am
If you want to code as well as read faults then try this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154021453500

It reads codes and clearly gives explanations of what they are.
It also allows you to code options through the light control module and GM5 as you are requesting.

A bonus is that it will reset Transport Mode. It does not delete it from the car, so it could happen again, but it will allow you to reset it.
Thanks
I'd need to message the seller...I've no idea if I'd need the unsupplied cable he mentions in his listing.
No you don't. It plugs straight in to the port by your right knee.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

darich

OBD Reader

Post by darich » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:21 pm No you don't. It plugs straight in to the port by your right knee.
Great thanks.....seems very cheap for a coder and reader though
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Reader

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:44 pm

darich wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:21 pm No you don't. It plugs straight in to the port by your right knee.
Great thanks.....seems very cheap for a coder and reader though
Don't knock it. Works a treat. Not as simple to use as you need to lug a laptop to the car, but worth the effort.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

OBD Reader

Post by colb » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:28 pm

BMW Scanner 1.4 is a good start to code reading and can do some limited coding but of course you need a Windows Laptop to plug it into and load the software. It comes with a 16pin OBD cable which is ok for the Z4 but it would need a 20pin to 16pin Cable changer to plug into the round Diagnostic socket in the engine bay on Z3's. Cable changer on ebay if you need one.
In use Scanner 1.4 will scan all modules it finds on the car and will display a list as it works through each module. Once scanned it will show what modules have fault codes and you double click on the list to open up a further menu for the chosen module. In this menu you have buttons to choose what you want to do, eg clear codes, reprogram etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZmhBsQ-jg
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

darich

OBD Reader

Post by darich » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:13 am

colb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:28 pm BMW Scanner 1.4 is a good start to code reading and can do some limited coding but of course you need a Windows Laptop to plug it into and load the software. It comes with a 16pin OBD cable which is ok for the Z4 but it would need a 20pin to 16pin Cable changer to plug into the round Diagnostic socket in the engine bay on Z3's. Cable changer on ebay if you need one.
In use Scanner 1.4 will scan all modules it finds on the car and will display a list as it works through each module. Once scanned it will show what modules have fault codes and you double click on the list to open up a further menu for the chosen module. In this menu you have buttons to choose what you want to do, eg clear codes, reprogram etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZmhBsQ-jg
Thanks!!
I already have a Windows laptop so no issues there and no need for a cable changer since I have a Z4.
I'm not completely new to coding since I have VCDS and have used it numerous times on my Audi making changes to various settings. Never plugged my Z4 into anything though so I'm unfamiliar with how BMW do things.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Andrew J

OBD Reader

Post by Andrew J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:04 pm

A friend of mine scanned my car today with his AA laptop and by golly, by gosh did it impress! It shouldn't have suprised me but it was incredible the levels of access and details it could show. I see the Creator can't remove transport mode but do the Creator, autophix and scanner 1.4 show all the bmw specific codes? Is it worth going with a code readerblike the scanner 1.4 as it has more depth in what it can read?

This is my first foray into obd and manufacturer specific code reading diagnostics so forgive my ill iinformed requests.
Z4 E89 28i Sapphire Black - gone
Z4 E85 3.0i Sapphire Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Reader

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 pm

All those will read the codes. The 1.4 will code stuff too

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Reader

Post by Pondrew » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:27 pm

I recently took the plunge and bought my first ever code reader/ scanner. I am not good with technology!

I went for the Creator 410 only because the 310 is becoming quite rare now (old model I presume) and the price difference was nothing. I think I paid £40 odd delivered. eBay as I don't do Amazon.

It does all of the BMW range (up to F series. Not G), so I can use it on the E89, F31, Z3 and the Mini R56.

I find it quite easy to use and it does battery registering (which is useful). The only downside for me is the text is very small and it is difficult to read in bright daylight. That could be my terrible eyesight, though. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

colb

OBD Reader

Post by colb » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:42 am

You will be fine with the Creator, mine is a 310+ and have updated the software via the supplied software to get the update, mine was shipped with version 11 and the latest update is now version 12.05. Updated a fellow members 310+ he got second-hand but without the software and that was on version 7. Updated that one to 12.05 using my software. As reported earlier it can't reset Transport mode or delete it even though it appears in the Creators menu. Might come live on future updates, did email them to ask but never got a reply.
BMW Scanner 1.4 on a Laptop can reset Transport Mode but not delete it. Scanner 1.4 is a good starting point for diagnostics and limited coding capability on some modules. If you want to go further then take a look at Tablet Scanners like Autel, Launch and TopDon, cost is far more but they are capable of full diagnostics and coding modules. I have a Chinese Clone Launch Tablet and that covers worldwide makes not just BMW. Updates free for 2 years and it updates very well when they release new updates. Paid circa £300 for mine which is a fair outlay but not as much as the other brands. Vey pleased with the results mine gives.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

AdyBish

OBD Reader

Post by AdyBish » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:15 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:22 am
darich wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:36 am Reading with interest...I'm interested in buying a scanner/reader for my E86 but am completely new to BMW systems.

Looking for something that will read errors and allow me to change coding like 3 indicator flashes when I nudge the stalk. Or lights flash on lock and unlock.
If you want to code as well as read faults then try this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154021453500

It reads codes and clearly gives explanations of what they are.
It also allows you to code options through the light control module and GM5 as you are requesting.

A bonus is that it will reset Transport Mode. It does not delete it from the car, so it could happen again, but it will allow you to reset it.
Thanks for posting this. I’ve ordered one today. Looking forward to some tinkering, fault finding, and coding. Hope I can work out how to use it easily enough!? Worth a look at £20 though. :thumbsup:

colb

OBD Reader

Post by colb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 am

BMW Scanner 1.4 runs on a Windows laptop and is idiot proof to operate. Can do some limited coding so may well suit your needs as a beginner. The extra cable he mentions in the Ad is for connecting to Z3 's 20 pin to 16 pin. The units 16 pin OBD2 plug is ok on the Z4
Last edited by colb on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

AdyBish

OBD Reader

Post by AdyBish » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:36 pm

colb wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 am BMW Scanner 1.4 runs on a Windows laptop and is idiot proof to operate. Can do some limited coding so may well suit your needs as a beginner. The extra cable he mentions in the Ad is for connecting to Z3 's 20 pin to 16 pin. The units 17 pin OBD2 plug is ok on the Z4
Thanks Colb. I think it’ll be a good little dip of my toe in the water, so to speak. :thumbsup: