Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issue - Please help!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:09 pm

Karlos123 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:39 am
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:17 am
Karlos123 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 am Hi enuff-zed, so sorry! I have only just seen your last message from Friday. I actually ordered an ECU on Friday but thanks so much for the offer of the use of your spare one, I have bought one from Quarry Motors which is claimed to be fully working and tested (£32). It will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing if that fixes the issue. I am in Basingstoke and am very fortunate to be near RBM in Hook, but I do enjoy spannering and trying to fix things myself. so if this doesnt fix the issue then I will bite the bullet and get them to look at it. Thanks for the offer of swinging by with an ECU! I will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed. Funnily enough, I had roof issues on an E36 I owned in 2006, I spent ages trying to fix it, with lots of swearing and head scratching, I eventually bought a roof ECU from Quarry Motors, and I will never forget the feeling of pressing the button and watching the roof move, I danced around the car punching the air with joy! hopefully I will be dancing again soon. :rofl: :D

Thanks again for your help/advice :thumbsup:
No problem. I assume you know how to get at the module? If you have smallish hands you can pop the grill off behind the passenger seat and get at it through there.
Yes, I have already accessed the module through the grill, looks pretty straight forward, although a bit tight in there, should be ok. Thanks again.
Worst bit is the nut is plastic, so if you drop it you can't hoick it out with a magnet.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 am

Tried a replacement roof module but its still playing up, so its not that.

The saga continues... :D

Roof goes back with a push 'sometimes' (had to release latches manually), roof folds down and the latches wont lock in place (supposed to close in down position), then press button... roof goes up but it wont latch and lock in place, it just stops, and I have to close it manually.

Sometimes I press the down button and nothing happens/no lights, sometimes the windows will drop and nothing else happens but red light flashes, its so inconsistant. Think I need to check wiring loom again, and the roof open/closed hall sensors.

Will keep plugging away!!!

Getting close to handing it over to RBM in Hook.
2008 E85 2.0

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:23 pm

I'd look towards one of the sensors on the passenger claw. I've seen these over-ride the stop point before. If thats out of synch, it will be telling the roof ECU that the claw is already in a locked position when it actually isnt.
Unfortunately, you'll have to: -
1) stop the roof half open,
2) remove the front cowl panel ( inc the two key screws on the side of that cowl)
3) peel back the canvas from the front of the roof, far enough to ...
4) Remove the foam inserts above the claw
Then you can see the position of the sensor and re-fit it accordingly.

This is the sensor on top of the claw
IMG_0852.jpeg
IMG_0852.jpeg (68.38 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Here you can see the open and closed sensors at each end. Sometimes the worm drive pops the trigger tab beyond the end stop. Open it and you'll work it out
IMG_0853.jpeg
IMG_0853.jpeg (102.06 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:54 pm

Number5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:23 pm I'd look towards one of the sensors on the passenger claw. I've seen these over-ride the stop point before. If thats out of synch, it will be telling the roof ECU that the claw is already in a locked position when it actually isnt.
Unfortunately, you'll have to: -
1) stop the roof half open,
2) remove the front cowl panel ( inc the two key screws on the side of that cowl)
3) peel back the canvas from the front of the roof, far enough to ...
4) Remove the foam inserts above the claw
Then you can see the position of the sensor and re-fit it accordingly.

This is the sensor on top of the claw
IMG_0852.jpeg

Here you can see the open and closed sensors at each end. Sometimes the worm drive pops the trigger tab beyond the end stop. Open it and you'll work it out
IMG_0853.jpeg

Number5, you are a legend! thanks so much for that info/instructions and photos, that is so helpful. I will give that a go at the weekend and see if that could be the issue, that does all make sense. It sounds very likely that it could be the issue, my roof operates fine, its just the latches that arent operating properly now.

Thanks again! I really appeciate it, I wll let you know how I get on at the weekend (weather permitting).

:thumbsup:
2008 E85 2.0

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am

UPDATE- still no joy!

I have checked out the hall sensors at the front of the roof, but they both looked fine, I did adjust them but it didnt do anything. Thanks for the suggestion Number5, was hoping that would be the issue as a nice easy fix.

I bought a Creator 310 at the weekend, and it flagged up these codes...

40 Drive, cowl panel, current too high when opening safety catch
1F Switch, cowl panel locked, short circuit to ground
22 Switch, cowl panel unlocked, short circuit to ground

I then cleared these and checked the wiring harness over, I cant see any breaks but there are some wires that looked pinched. I wiggled the wiring about and massaged it all, then tried the roof and whilst it didnt go through a full cycle it did perform better! the latches worked when it folded down, it hasnt done that for a while, and I eventually saw them work and latch the roof to the windscreen, but then it was the same old flashing red light syndrome when I tried to put the roof down again.

I then plugged in the Creator 310 and the following codes came up..

44 Drive, cowl panel open circuit.
40 Drive, cowl panel, current too high when opening safety catch.
43 Drive, cowel panel, open circuit.

I have googled these codes and people with similar codes on the E85 (and on the E46), do seem to point towards a break in the wiring in the harness. I will dig out my multimeter and check for continuity. - will keep you posted!!

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to my messages with advice/suggestions, I do appreciate it!

Surely it has to be a dodgy wire/s in the harness!!! fingers crossed its that!
2008 E85 2.0