Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help needed - advice on bleeding ABS with INPA

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:33 pm

Project Spa is up on sticks with the refurbished ABS module waiting to go in when the rain stops.
MOT is provisionally booked for 16th April so I need to crack on.
This is (hopefully) the last thing to sort before it goes to its new owner.

Having never before had to replace an ABS module I am understandably concerned that I get the bleeding procedure correct.
I have INPA and I have read many threads and watched some videos, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.
Ideally I would like someone who has done this to give me a simple guide, which could then be left in the 'How To' section.

Questions I have (some of which may sound a bit daft but...):

1. Where is the program in INPA? Some people say you have to use the E46 version?
2. Do I use my pressure bleeding kit as normal, then activate ABS, or does the ABS activation do the whole job for me?
3. Some people seem to say it doesn't matter what order you bleed the callipers? I always thought it was furthest to nearest?
4. Can you do it with the engine running, or is it best to rig a charger to the battery first?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:12 pm

I used a Foxwell code reader

I drained all the brake fluid out with a air power bleed

Flushed the fluid with some new

Filled with new fluid

Bleed as normal then ran pump a couple of times via the code reader using the air bleed unit

Bleed any air that had moved out

Went for a drive

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:18 pm

PDJ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:12 pm I used a Foxwell code reader

I drained all the brake fluid out with a air power bleed

Flushed the fluid with some new

Filled with new fluid

Bleed as normal then ran pump a couple of times via the code reader using the air bleed unit

Bleed any air that had moved out

Went for a drive
Thank you. So do a normal bleed first which should shift everything except the ABS pump is that right?
Then you ran the pump. Whilst bleeding again? I assume the air in it has to go somewhere?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:46 pm

I ran the pump after re filling to move any air along and out I have a solid pedal so should be good

Not saying it is the only way but if you move the fluid along it will be at least part changed as you will never get all the old fluid out same for an oil change

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:02 pm

PDJ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:46 pm I ran the pump after re filling to move any air along and out I have a solid pedal so should be good

Not saying it is the only way but if you move the fluid along it will be at least part changed as you will never get all the old fluid out same for an oil change
Well tomorrow is the test!