Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

door actuator

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bmwforachange

door actuator

Post by Bmwforachange » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:11 pm

Hi All,

I've tried looking at the existing threads but can't see an answer to my problem.

I was having issues with the drivers door not opening. I replaced the bowden cable and fitted a new actuator. While this has solved the mechanical failure the door no longer opens on the key fob and central locking doesnt work. With the new actuator fitted the door open light is lit on the dash.
If I disconnect the connector and fit it to my old actuator while holding it but not fitted I can then flip the latch, the light goes out and I can operate the central locking. This leads me to believe that the new actuator needs to be coded in some way.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've had hours on this one and it's got me stumped.

Thank you.
E85 3.0i 2005 maldives blue.

BumpyZ4

door actuator

Post by BumpyZ4 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:21 am

No coding needed. Did you fit an OEM actuator or an aftermarket one?
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Bmwforachange

door actuator

Post by Bmwforachange » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:37 pm

I fitted an aftermarket one (Febi). This didnt operate the central locking. I thought the new part was faulty, returned it and ordered another aftermarket from another source. With the same result.

So I'm now thinking, only OEM actuators work with the central locking.....
I've fitted it incorrectly, not followed a procedure etc.....

It's just strange that the old mechanically broken actuator still operates the central locking if plugged in.

Thanks for the reply. appreciated.
E85 3.0i 2005 maldives blue.