Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4 won't answer me anymore!

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:49 pm

I drive 90% of the time with the top down, so I don't use my BMW's "voice recognition" very much. While I do have Android Auto in my car and phone, I only rarely use it. Occasionally I do ask my car to dial the phone, enter a navigation destination, etc; using the BMW's system, not AA. That does not work anymore, she simply will not reply to me since about 30 days ago. Have I offended my car? <g>

The car responded to "BMW" when new, which I changed to "Alexa" since that's what we use in our home and that name has become a habit. "Alexa" worked in the car for about 3 years, but the last time I drove the Z4 she will not respond to "Alexa" or "BMW". If I push the talk button after trying the BMW voice part in vain, I am switched over to Android Auto. While that does work, I'd rather stick with OEM BMW voice recognition unless I specifically want AA.

Any ideas? My car is about 6 months out of warranty.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 pm

Mine ignored me for a while then I deleted the voice command and re entered it.

It initially responded to "Hey ***" but now its just a single word and I don't press the microphone button. Just say the wake word and she should respond. Pressing the microphone AND the awake word just confuses her.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:24 pm

Nanu wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 pm Mine ignored me for a while then I deleted the voice command and re entered it.

It initially responded to "Hey ***" but now its just a single word and I don't press the microphone button. Just say the wake word and she should respond. Pressing the microphone AND the awake word just confuses her.
Good suggestion on canceling and re-starting the wake word. I'll do that next time I drive the Z4. If I don't reply in this thread again, that means it worked. BTW, we needed used the "Hey" when asking for her help, I just said "Alexa..." followed by what I wanted here to do.

You are correct, no need to press the mic button once she starts replying to me again. Interestingly enough, with the BMW's we use only the OEM voice recognition, never Android Auto. With the new Mazda, we use only Android Auto, never the OEM Mazda voice recognition. Keeps us on our toes. <g>

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

I’m having similar problems, voice input is fine (postcodes for destination mainly) if using Android, but the BMW nav doesn’t accept voice input. Annoying, mainly because entering a postcode using the controller wheel is error prone due to the touch pad on top of the wheel which accidently gets brushed with my fingers and leads to error.

The touch pad is fairly useless anyway, being right handed in RH drive car means any input from me is illegible as I have to use my left hand! Anybody know how to disable the touchpad?
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

Cars are, of course, female.

If she is not talking to you, try apologising.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am Cars are, of course, female.

I did. But she just cannot accept the fact I bought a Mazda, our third car. Perhaps after a few more months she will become more forgiving.......

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

I use Google maps for the navigation. Much easier to connect via Android Auto and you can just say the name of the company or attraction you are going to. No need for postcodes. The live traffic is sooooooo much better as well. You also usually a verbal on the location of any mobile speed cameras which is worth its weight in penalty points.
There's very little that I talk to my BMW (Holly) about anymore and I would think she must be getting lonely!
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am Cars are, of course, female.

I did. But she just cannot accept the fact I bought a Mazda, our third car. Perhaps after a few more months she will become more forgiving.......

Doug
A few months?? A bit optimistic I think.

I did go through a similar experience but 'Samantha' and I are on very good speaking terms at the moment. :D
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Interesting the names we have given our cars. For a while mine was "Zelda" since I saw some logic there with the "Z". But I ended up saying "Alexa" so many times that I changed "Zelda" to "Alexa". She really didn't seem to mind.

I wonder if anyone out there ever named their car "Bruce" or maybe "Harvey"? :wink:

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

ori

Post by ori » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:49 pm I drive 90% of the time with the top down, so I don't use my BMW's "voice recognition" very much. While I do have Android Auto in my car and phone, I only rarely use it. Occasionally I do ask my car to dial the phone, enter a navigation destination, etc; using the BMW's system, not AA. That does not work anymore, she simply will not reply to me since about 30 days ago. Have I offended my car? <g>

The car responded to "BMW" when new, which I changed to "Alexa" since that's what we use in our home and that name has become a habit. "Alexa" worked in the car for about 3 years, but the last time I drove the Z4 she will not respond to "Alexa" or "BMW". If I push the talk button after trying the BMW voice part in vain, I am switched over to Android Auto. While that does work, I'd rather stick with OEM BMW voice recognition unless I specifically want AA.

Doug
Have your connected services expired? I believe part of that is enhanced voice recognition? Stab in the dark here!

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:15 pm

ori wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm
PaperSniper wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:49 pm I drive 90% of the time with the top down, so I don't use my BMW's "voice recognition" very much. While I do have Android Auto in my car and phone, I only rarely use it. Occasionally I do ask my car to dial the phone, enter a navigation destination, etc; using the BMW's system, not AA. That does not work anymore, she simply will not reply to me since about 30 days ago. Have I offended my car? <g>

Doug
Have your connected services expired? I believe part of that is enhanced voice recognition? Stab in the dark here!
I don't think my services have expired, but seems like they ought to have....if my car has anything that expires. My US warranty ran out last July. Not sure how that works in other countries.

I did get my car to respond to my voice yesterday. I did as a kind soul suggested a few posts above. I canceled the old "Wake Word" then gave it a new one; the same as the old one. As I said earlier, I don't drive my Z all that much and I think she forgets about me when I'm gone too long.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i