Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G29 - Status of battery?

Discussing the current generation Z4
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by Nanu » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 pm

Just wondering if there is there any way to check status of battery via the idrive?

Whilst sitting in the car park today waiting for STMBO to return from a shop listening to the radio, I got a message stating that the car was going to switch off systems unless I started the engine.

After being parked up in the garage for 3 weeks and before that, having heating, heated seats and steering wheel in use, I suspect the battery charge to be low but wondering with all the tech on the car, if you can find out the level of charge? A brief scroll though the system and I can't find any.

Been on a run of about 70 miles today but I will put it on charge anyway tomorrow but it would be nice to know if I can check it via the car itself
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:57 pm

I don’t know G29 systems..but based on its predecessor I doubt it…

Best bet is to put it on an intelligent charger.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:41 pm

My car albeit an F30 (2015) gives me a “iDrive is shutting down” warning after a while sitting waiting!
It also asks to press the radio on / off button if I want to continue listening. Other systems go dead.

I’m sure my E89 (2016) does the same. - I would nip out into the garage and check - but it’s too cold!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

PSQ777

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by PSQ777 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:46 am

Nanu wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 pm Just wondering if there is there any way to check status of battery via the idrive?

Whilst sitting in the car park today waiting for STMBO to return from a shop listening to the radio, I got a message stating that the car was going to switch off systems unless I started the engine.

After being parked up in the garage for 3 weeks and before that, having heating, heated seats and steering wheel in use, I suspect the battery charge to be low but wondering with all the tech on the car, if you can find out the level of charge? A brief scroll though the system and I can't find any.

Been on a run of about 70 miles today but I will put it on charge anyway tomorrow but it would be nice to know if I can check it via the car itself
I posted about my battery issues over on the Problems board. My battery is being replaced this week. The most obvious symptom I have seen is that the internal lights including the ambient light strips will not switch on when you unlock the car. Then occasionally I see a low charge warning and the car computer recommends an extended drive. I read about this and the car will switch off anything that could impede starting. I finally got a notification that I need a battery service. Unfortunately I haven't found a way of checking the battery status, the prompts only come when there is an issue.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by Nanu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:27 am

Thanks, I haven’t had any warnings yet or recommendations other than to switch on the engine.

Just to be on the safe side, will connect up the battery charger and from memory that does show the level of charge.

Surprised there is not this facility on a car that can do checks on just about everything else!

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

G29Z4

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by G29Z4 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:31 pm

I have a G29z4 and a 330e and both do this after several minutes. It’s to preserve charge on the battery and to make sure the radio etc aren’t left on for long periods by accident thus flattening the battery.

q96169we

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by q96169we » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:48 am

The car's onboard energy management system is designed to power off the system gradually if engine is not running but aux is on, unless you are in diagonosis mode. If your battery is indeed become very low and you keep waking up the car without starting the engine, there will be a warning message about start engine for battery maintainance.

About battery charge measurement, there isn't anything in iDrive that can give you percise percentage of the state of charge (SoC). I have BimmerLink which can give me percise reading. The lowest percetange I have dipped into is 30-40%, and at that point, no warning was given in iDrive but I can feel the engin start crank is weeker than battery SoC higher than 70%. As I only drive the car once per week purely to let everything circulate, it's always on the trickle charger these days.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by Nanu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Cheers for the feedback.

Had the car in for a service last week and mechanic said just about the same, to make suer there is always enough charge in the battery to start the car and perform basic functions and not to worry, the battery is fine.

Did suggest a trickle charge now and again never goes amiss during winter or if the car is not being used often for longer journeys

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

q96169we

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by q96169we » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:58 pm

In my old car (like 200x old, not 19xx old), I unplugged the battery negative terminal when I knew it would be parked for some while. But with latest car, I prefer using trickle charger as unstable battery voltage, or unplug battery may make the electronic unhappy. Based on my read of the car's FYI memory (like fault code, but it's logged just FYI), the car actually knows I connect it to a trickle charger so I assume the 'clever' electronic will adjust to it if necessary.

PaperSniper

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm

We now have three cars. We are retired......
1. My wife's/our normal driver, a 330e which gets plenty of use, enough that I'm not concerned about its battery charge (garaged, plugged in)
2. My car, the Z4 which gets very little use. I average about 4000 miles per year so far (garaged, not plugged in).
3. Our recently purchased bastard child Mazda CX-30. We bought so we can use it during rainy days, etc so the other other two beauties can stay beautiful. We also use it for trips since it has more cargo capacity than the 330e. It is kept outside and will likely also get plenty of miles.

I am a bit concerned about my Z4. I try to drive it at least every 10 days, and for perhaps an hour each time. But I do wonder about connecting a Battery Tender Jr or something like that. I have several of those in the house that I used to use on motorcycles (BMWs also, of course). What are your thoughts on that? Should I concerned with the Z4's lack of use? If a battery tender is suggested, any thoughts on how to connect it so it's easy to connect/disconnect? Location, etc?

Thanks.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:44 pm

If the car is garaged I’d put the Zed on a decent charger that can stay permanently connected..but I wouldn’t bother with the faff of wiring it in..I’d just use the hit live in the engine bay to connect it..

Far better than just starting it every so often… :thumbsdown:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

PaperSniper

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:01 pm

"....I’d just use the hit live in the engine bay to connect it...."

What's that?
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:03 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:01 pm "....I’d just use the hit live in the engine bay to connect it...."

What's that?
Sorry..auto correct.. hot live..there’s a jumper / charger point in the engine bay covered by a removable red plastic cover..it’s where you should attach chargers rather than direct to the battery..

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

G29 - Status of battery?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:42 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm I am a bit concerned about my Z4. I try to drive it at least every 10 days, and for perhaps an hour each time. But I do wonder about connecting a Battery Tender Jr or something like that. I have several of those in the house that I used to use on motorcycles (BMWs also, of course). What are your thoughts on that? Should I concerned with the Z4's lack of use? If a battery tender is suggested, any thoughts on how to connect it so it's easy to connect/disconnect? Location, etc?
Stick it on a 'maintenance charger' once a week until it is fully charged. Simples.
Also if you have motorcycle specific chargers, they tend to be very low current (as bike batteries hold around 10 times less juice than cars). They should work on a car but may take a long time to charge. Most modern chargers have 'modes' to change from cars to bikes, AGM to normal lead acid, etc. A 5 amp charger is ideal IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!