Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

04 E85 3.0i - EPS light on and stiff steering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:14 pm

Easiest to get the seat out and steering wheel off for access. Disconnect the battery first and wait 20 minutes or so before unplugging them. If it’s an electric seat move it around to access all the bolts first, then battery off and unplug it.
Remove the steering column lower trim and the footwell trim panel.
Dive into the footwell and look up at the motor. There are two torx head bolts holding it on. An 8mm ratchet ring spanner (12 point) fits perfectly and is the best tool to remove the bolts.
First make an indelible mark across the motor, spacer ring and column. This will aid fitting and hopefully prevent any need for adjustment.
Unplug the big electrical connector on the motor.
The top two are impossible to see clearly so leave them for now.
Undo the bolts.
Carefully pull the motor out and manoeuvre it so the worm gear points downwards.
One cable is tied to the motor and you need to snip the ties to allow the motor to drop low enough to rest on the floor. Then you can see to plug the other two plugs.
On UK cars you have to push down the clutch pedal to give a little more clearance. I use the back of my head. 🙄 Not sure how this works on LHD though?
Refitting is the same in reverse.
Don’t worry about cable ties on that loom as long as it is routed correctly. Maybe take a photo before you start.
Don’t reconnect the battery until it is all back together.
If you can do it in a garage then drop the roof, much easier.
There is a chance the windows will need a reset as sometimes they lose their memory. Eady to check if they drop a few mm when you open the doors.

That’s it in a nutshell. Happy to send photos etc if needed
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:16 pm

Almost forgot. To put the bolts back in, use a little bit of grease to hold them in the ratchet spanner, offer them up to the holes and use a screwdriver to push on the head of the bolt as you ratchet it in,

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

james078

Post by james078 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:52 pm

thanks again for the instructions, I did not see these till this AM... My E85 is an automatic, so no clutch pedal to worry with... :wink:
2004 E85 Z4 3.0i, ~230K miles...bought it new, 1 and only owner, still love the car!

james078

Post by james078 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 am

Finally got the chance to spend some time on my EPS motor removal today... the US/LHD scenario is a little different in case anyone hasn't encountered it yet...the knee level air bag module below the steering column needs to be removed to get access, its 4 bolts (T-27 torx) and a couple fasteners to pop loose plus wire connection(same connector as the steering wheel air bag)... the other difference is the bolts holding the EPS motor to the column are different, still working on those ( I think they are T-40 torx, might be bigger)... I am still working that part... to be continued...
2004 E85 Z4 3.0i, ~230K miles...bought it new, 1 and only owner, still love the car!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:58 am

james078 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 am Finally got the chance to spend some time on my EPS motor removal today... the US/LHD scenario is a little different in case anyone hasn't encountered it yet...the knee level air bag module below the steering column needs to be removed to get access, its 4 bolts (T-27 torx) and a couple fasteners to pop loose plus wire connection(same connector as the steering wheel air bag)... the other difference is the bolts holding the EPS motor to the column are different, still working on those ( I think they are T-40 torx, might be bigger)... I am still working that part... to be continued...
Torx 40 sounds the same to me? I use an 8mm ratchet ring spanner (bi-hex) as I’ve not found a tire version and getting a socket on is awkward

james078

Post by james078 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:42 pm

The bolts are round on the outside of the head, and have a T-40 star recess in the middle of them, basically female versions of the bolts use in the RH vehicles... I'll send you some pics on WhatsApp when I get them out, I had to go get a pack of allen wrenches with torx heads, that's about the only thing i can get into the space I think...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:51 pm

james078 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:42 pm The bolts are round on the outside of the head, and have a T-40 star recess in the middle of them, basically female versions of the bolts use in the RH vehicles... I'll send you some pics on WhatsApp when I get them out, I had to go get a pack of allen wrenches with torx heads, that's about the only thing i can get into the space I think...
Ah, I see. That's not so helpful. :headbang:

james078

Post by james078 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:55 pm

Hey everyone, thought I'd come back and finish this saga... I ended up having to remove the column to get the EPS motor detached from the column, there was just not a way to get those T-40 torx head bolts out, believe me I tried with a lot of different tools. You just cannot get a straight enough alignment that allows you to break loose those bolts...I fixed that problem for the future, it now has hex head bolts in it :D ... I did send the motor off to ECS in Heanor/Derbyshire, that was $350 ticket for shipping via UPS from DFW, 13 days to get there...I re-installed everything yesterday , and thankfully I now have power steering again!!! Below are some pics I snapped along the way to augment what's already been provided by enuff_zed, also I found this youtube video insightful as well... some other notes you might need to know for anyone in the USA contemplating this:

1. There's an airbag deployer at knee level underneath the column - 4 T-30 torx bolts and 3 pop in clips, and a wire that has same connector type as the airbag on the steering wheel - handle with care of course!
2. I replaced those T-40 torx bolts holding the EPS motor to the column with M8 - 1.25 X 30MM bolts, they have a 13MM hex head (picture included)
3. There's a cable running from the ignition switch on the column into the center console to the gearshifter (mines an automatic) that controls the locking mechanism for both steering wheel and gearshift... it's a 13MM head on the end you can get an open end wrench on, but the fitting and cable are one piece, so you have to twist the cable while you are removing it, and likewise, pre-twist the cable about 7 full turns prior to re-attaching so its not twisted when tight...

here's the video link I referenced - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K00JRcr7Ivk

Many many thanks to enuff_zed for his help and consultations, could not have done it with his coaching!!!
UCGC7392 - edited.JPG
UCGC7392 - edited.JPG (144.34 KiB) Viewed 107 times
IMG_3401 edited.jpg
IMG_3401 edited.jpg (127.68 KiB) Viewed 107 times
IMG_3399 - edited.jpg
IMG_3399 - edited.jpg (220.69 KiB) Viewed 107 times
ECS rebuilt EPS.jpg
ECS rebuilt EPS.jpg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 107 times
New EPS bolts.jpg
New EPS bolts.jpg (233.98 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Before pic of column.jpg
Before pic of column.jpg (202.57 KiB) Viewed 107 times
After pic of column.jpg
After pic of column.jpg (220.73 KiB) Viewed 107 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 am

Well done. It’s been a long old process but glad you persevered.
I had never considered the issue with that cable on an auto. But never had to resort to taking the column out so not encountered it before.
Great write up.
You are now the guru over there.

james078

Post by james078 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:09 pm

Thanks!!!! Trial by fire as they say :wink: ... I failed to mention I also buffed all that rust off on the frame and lower end of the shaft with my Dremel and a wire brush attachment, and coated it all lightly with some di-electric grease I had to hopefully slow down that oxidation process for the future...