Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Masters Degree Data Assistance Required

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:04 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 am tried social media and a couple of Z4 groups but it either gets removed immediately or people shout scam. Even a couple of other forums have done the same. Here and a couple of motorcycle forums have been my best responses. cant see her getting the 130 she needs but at least we tried.

Will keep plodding along and
She may or may not know/have tried this but there’s SM groups set up for dissertations questionnaires/surveys etc where there’s a “trading system”. Unconnected Students agree to fill each others out so they both get their numbers up.

My daughter did a bit of googling and joining university WhatsApp and FB groups to find them and got a good half of her required responses this way.

The other students had no knowledge/interest in her subject but it was the numbers they were both interested in. This seems to be quite common practice in the Scottish universities afaik.

As mentioned, LinkedIn is another good resource, getting people within her contacts to share with people outwith their shared contacts is another way of getting out to random groups of people. HTH :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 pm

MikeyH wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:14 pm All done, :thumbsup: was the stupid ipad it uses safari :thumbsdown:
    Thansk Mikey.

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:56 pm

My daughter had to do one these for her masters and she had one hell of a job getting them. Her's needed to be in a younger age group so I didn't think the forum would be much help to her :poke: :evil: :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:24 am

MikeyH wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:56 pm My daughter had to do one these for her masters and she had one hell of a job getting them. Her's needed to be in a younger age group so I didn't think the forum would be much help to her :poke: :evil: :thumbsup:
    that must have been a nightmare, at least with older people you can reach out to them easier. mind you she does need a few hundred, probably not so many when you need younger people.

coldel

Post by coldel » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am

Ive not really heard of this type of thing being a requirement before, but it seems a bit of a bizarre thing force them to do. Especially given that good research practice is to have a specific sample frame that gives meaningful output.
    Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
    Previously
    BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
    Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
    Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
    Vauxhall VX220 NA
    Nissan 350z

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:03 pm

It does give the impression that it is more about a numbers game than any quality research
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

coldel

Post by coldel » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:03 pm It does give the impression that it is more about a numbers game than any quality research
    Indeed which is why its such a shame she needs it to progress, as the sample frame is clearly going to be heavily skewed and need weighting - I presume its a tick box exercise rather than using the data in any meaningful way.
    Previously
    BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
    Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
    Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
    Vauxhall VX220 NA
    Nissan 350z

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:49 pm

coldel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 pm I presume its a tick box exercise rather than using the data in any meaningful way.
    Welcome to modern day education! My daughter is going to Uni in September, doing a nonsense degree in a made up subject. The only thing I see she is going to gain for three years wasted is a massive financial debt (cos I ain't paying).

I tried to talk her out of it, but apparently I'm wrong! :?
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 pm

for me, the University's should be able to get AI to provide the data dump. Afterall its about how she interprets it rather than the data itself.

What i have found is randomly posting stuff on forums and social media can get peoples backs up or they are sceptical and accuse it of phishing or a scam. I had mine ignored in many places and also i had it removed from groups and forums.

This group has been the most responsive to be honest and i am very grateful, especially as i have not been a member for very long. :thumbsup:

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:19 am

RAYK47 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 pm for me, the University's should be able to get AI to provide the data dump. Afterall its about how she interprets it rather than the data itself.

What i have found is randomly posting stuff on forums and social media can get peoples backs up or they are sceptical and accuse it of phishing or a scam. I had mine ignored in many places and also i had it removed from groups and forums.

This group has been the most responsive to be honest and i am very grateful, especially as i have not been a member for very long. :thumbsup:
    Lots of survey software do survey auto answers i.e. random answers as part of the testing process. It is as I say a bit of a joke asking students who are not doing statistics or similar degrees to be expected to be able to write a proper survey and administer good survey practice and know how to interpret data correctly - this is a skill in itself which people get paid a lot of money to do. Looking at raw unweighted data question by question is not good data interpretation and not something that holds up at all in the real world.

It is adding a massive stress I am sure to her degree, one which she doesn't actually need given everything else she has to worry about.
    Previously
    BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
    Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
    Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
    Vauxhall VX220 NA
    Nissan 350z