Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MMI installation - question for the master

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:49 pm

DonDon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 am I am trying to summon up the courage to install the new mr12volt box with OEM mic support and I have a few questions before I dive in.

Where does the cable from the car's microphone go so I can plug in the mic Y cable?

If I mount the MMI box behind the air vents, do I still need to drop the glove box for access?

I am thinking of getting one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANMU-Extensio ... 135&sr=8-6 SD slot extender so that if there is a firmware update, I don't need to get at the box.
FWIW I’ve tried a couple of those extenders,.they don’t really lock securely in the front so probably will come adrift at a critical moment..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

DonDon

Post by DonDon » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:52 pm

Many thanks for this. Do I still need to drop the glove box for access if I mount it behind the air vents?
2013 E89 28i auto

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:19 pm

DonDon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:52 pm Many thanks for this. Do I still need to drop the glove box for access if I mount it behind the air vents?
The glove box doesn’t give you access to the MMI if it’s mounted behind the central vents / heating controls..you have to remove the centre trip to insert / access it..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 pm

Hi there..for info version 3 of the MMI box with the harness that plugs into the CIC unit pisses on the CAN bus…stopping coding / diagnostic tools accessing the CIC..

Caused many headaches and until AnubisZed tipped me off I was struggling..

Here’s the post from elsewhere..

Got the Mr 12 Volt MMI box online finally..

The replacement later CIC unit I bought to replace my failing original wasn’t coded to support the multi cd player option..(I guess in 2015 why would you)..

The problem being the coding tools couldn’t ‘see’ the CIC unit to work on it.

It turns out the MMI box as it’s fully connected to the CIC in this latest version pisses on the CAN bus stopping coding tools accessing the CIC box.

I took the MMI harness out of the circuit between the car and the CIC and voila..I could now code the change ..

In BimmerCode it’s

CDMM_CHANGER_3 option and change it to mp3_cdc in expert mode within the CIC coding menus..

similar exercise in Protool which I used as I just have the demo mode of BimmerCode

I had been cursing the ID4Motion instrument cluster for this issue..in this case wrongly..
Attachments
IMG_2576.jpeg
IMG_2576.jpeg (166.09 KiB) Viewed 89 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:04 pm

https://youtu.be/UrBHulW6dxQ?si=NuvTodwU4yy3pXMd

MMI splash screen and app button updated…all good…