Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 VANOS solenoid choice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:25 am

Yesterday I found a recent error code for the VANOS solenoid on the exhaust side which has migrated from the inlet side after I swapped them over a few months ago. I did give it a clean and wash thru with brake cleaner at the time but it's still not been quite right, so time for a new one.

It's 41% day at the bloody awful autodoc but since I'm not in a hurry[1] I'll probably use them and I get my choice of makes.

So, has anyone got any experience of non-Pierburg solenoids? There's Febi or Gates, both at far better prices (£50 vs £85) or FAI at £70. Or the selection of no-name stuff.

Anyone bought non-Pierburg and lived with them for a long and happy time?

[1] Had a basinful of slowness with them lately
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:36 pm

Well, for good or for ill, I panic bought a Febi as the 41% finished at 4pm. To be replaced by the 43% one.

D'oh.
------
Scott

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:01 pm

How did it work out....... needing to buy the same, struggle to find something in the UK...... Looks like 300 for BMW and 120-170 for a pair of Febi or Pierburg
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:58 am

Cor, I'd forgotten all about this. Well, 7 months and about 5k miles later, the car's not exploded. It's certainly running ok although I've not read the ECU for errors. This is a win as far as I'm concerned.

To my mind, other brand parts are either wrong from the get-go (they literally won't fit, are calibrated wrong, etc) or are fine. The lifespan for branded components oughtn't to be worse than OEM and I've rarely found anything that doesn't do a few years happily. I've had all sorts of Febi stuff over the years and don't recall replacing any in short order. It's only really the Chinesium stuff that's beyond the pale more often than not - a friend bought a set of very cheap tie rod ends and the rubber gaiters had given up in 6 months.

So, I'm pleased with saving the thick end of £100 (that should curse things!)
------
Scott

Lassivvv

Post by Lassivvv » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:54 am

Anyone knows is Pierburg OE manufactorer to BMW OEM solenoids? Here Febi is 70€/pcs and Pierburg 99€/pcs (OEM ones directly from BMW 200€/pcs).

Thats be 29€ difference is this prices are quite narrow, if Pierburg is OE manufactorer to this solenoids.
E86 3.0si manual -07 Black-sapphire metallic

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:38 pm

I just received my new VANOS Solenoids - Pierburg, labelled as manufactured in China (country of manufacture was not specified on line)

Any experience ? They were more expensive than most of the other brands offered, though definitely less than BMW. I know there are Chinese component manufacturers with good quality control. It just gets very tricky following who really sells quality and who does not. I am replacing because of age and mileage, not failure, yet. I try to balance over-spending with not running anything to failure if I can help it. I'll hit 100K this Spring or Summer.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT