Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car been off road for 3 months and counting

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:00 am

ori wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 am So, as I expected for a car that was standing and not plugged in to maintain the battery, I can’t get the software update to start even after a 1 hour drive. I’ve also noticed that stop start isn’t working anymore which indicates a damaged battery to me.

I’ve got a long drive to Bristol next week and if that doesn’t restore full power to the battery then I will obviously be getting the battery replaced under warranty.
The battery needs to be periodically charged to maximum every 6 weeks if connected to the car and every 3 months otherwise..

Of course the garage would have been fastidious in their oversight :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

ori

Post by ori » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 am

B21 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:00 am
The battery needs to be periodically charged to maximum every 6 weeks if connected to the car and every 3 months otherwise..

Of course the garage would have been fastidious in their oversight :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

From my understanding the battery is probably never going to be as good as it was prior to not being maintained.
I will probably demand a new one.

Thoughts?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:46 am

ori wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 am

From my understanding the battery is probably never going to be as good as it was prior to not being maintained.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

If any modern battery is allowed to ho flat and not promptly recharged for the purposes of a modern cst it’s goosed..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

ori

Post by ori » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:57 am

B21 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:46 am
ori wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 am

Thoughts?
If any modern battery is allowed to ho flat and not promptly recharged for the purposes of a modern cst it’s goosed..
[/quote]

I doubt it went completely flat. Just probably very low. I don’t know though it wasn’t moved for 3 months so who knows?

Part of me says I should just get a battery charger as it’s useful thing to have anyway and even though I drive my car daily, it would be wise to occasionally trickle charge?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:20 pm

Keeping a modern car battery in tip top condition is never a bad thing..

ori

Post by ori » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 pm

Well, I ran a battery test. It’s not the battery. It’s fine according to Carly.
Spoke to service advisor and he thinks it’s the software upgrade being stuck which has turned off the auto start stop.

Another trip to dealer to complete the update.

I mean I’m not fussed about stop start, but I just don’t like things not working right. ;)

ori

Post by ori » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:25 pm

Final update (I hope)

Went in today and had battery tested. Was showing 58% charge and when plugged in was not taking anymore charge so a new battery was installed.
I assume one of the cells died for some reason.

Software update done. Stop start working.
These cars are very sensitive to battery issues.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:37 pm

Haven't noticed before reading this post, but my Stop Start has not activated for some weeks now.

Just wondering, is there any other reasons such as engine temperature before it kicks in?

Either way like it not working so leaving it just as it is whatever the reason
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:41 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:37 pm Haven't noticed before reading this post, but my Stop Start has not activated for some weeks now.

Just wondering, is there any other reasons such as engine temperature before it kicks in?

S/S needs a number of criteria to be met before activating. All so you, or the ability to start the car, don't 'suffer'.

It's a waste of technology IMO, as seems to do more harm than good!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ori

Post by ori » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:59 am

Nanu wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:37 pm Haven't noticed before reading this post, but my Stop Start has not activated for some weeks now.

Get the battery tested. Since the replacement my stop start actually kicks in very early in the drive. How old is the car and have you done miles or does it sit a lot?

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:36 am

No idea if my start/stop works or not, been coded to the off position for years. :thumbsup:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:20 pm

ori wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:59 am

Get the battery tested. Since the replacement my stop start actually kicks in very early in the drive. How old is the car and have you done miles or does it sit a lot?
Only three and a half years old and 20k on the clock.

i have done a full trickle charge about a month ago and its just had a service
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ori

Post by ori » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 am

Nanu wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:20 pm
ori wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:59 am

Only three and a half years old and 20k on the clock.

i have done a full trickle charge about a month ago and its just had a service
You need a battery test done. Mine was showing good voltage, but when I took it in and they ran the test it was only showing 58% charge. They tried charging it, but it wouldn’t go above 58%. Voltage was good though.