Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wipers problem.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Nash3vans

Wipers problem.

Post by Nash3vans » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:53 pm

Advice needed please, when it rains and I use my wipers they only last a few mins they stop where they want, I have to turn ignition off and on again then sometimes they work again ( but not long).
This problem has only come about as I've had to bring the car out of winter hibernation. ( My daily blew up)
Just unsure if this would be a relay or wiper issue.
Nash
2005 merlot 2.5 auto.313s.e46 m3 front brakes.Strut brace,poly bush’s front, m front bumper,modified grilles,bc racing coilovers,facelift lights all round,modified rear bumper,s/wheel retrimmed, Merc slk seats. scorpion exhaust, many interior mods.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers problem.

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:59 pm

I would start by taking the motor out, opening it up and cleaning the accumulated grease off the tracks.
It is also worth checking the blades are still good. Any extra resistance as they drag across the screen will put more load on the motor.
I periodically clean the screen with a clay mitt to remove all the deposits that build up as well.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Nash3vans

Wipers problem.

Post by Nash3vans » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:17 pm

Wipers quite new, look like I'll have to strip motor and clean it out. Thank you :thumbsup:
Nash.
2005 merlot 2.5 auto.313s.e46 m3 front brakes.Strut brace,poly bush’s front, m front bumper,modified grilles,bc racing coilovers,facelift lights all round,modified rear bumper,s/wheel retrimmed, Merc slk seats. scorpion exhaust, many interior mods.

Wortmanov

Wipers problem.

Post by Wortmanov » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:39 pm

While you have the motor open, it's worthwhile to check the carbon brushes inside as well.
My stage 2 wiper speed cut out, causing a short and that causes the controlling module to temporarily disable the wipers.

Turned out one of the three carbon brushes was gone. Cost of 5 cents to replace :D

Nash3vans

Wipers problem.

Post by Nash3vans » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:16 pm

Cheers guys.

Roberltd2

Wipers problem.

Post by Roberltd2 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:35 am

Could be a wiper switch issue.
I think it is the case, that say if you put your wipers on intermittent during a drive, then you stop the car & turn the ignition off...
Then when you start the engine up again, the wipers will not work even though the lever is set to "intermittent". You have to turn the wiper switch to "off" and then back on again before it will work.
I had a problem with my full / dip lights, which after a lot of faffing about turned out to be down to poor contacts on the light switch itself.
Bought a whole s/h assembly off ebay for about £25 and that did the trick.
Fitting was not easy as it neccesitated the removal of the steering wheel which then means removing the steering wheel air bag. Plenty of vids on YouTube to help you on your way.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.