Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Post Reply
Spencer McDonald
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:21 am

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by Spencer McDonald » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:29 am

First post here, and it's a weird one! I've been beating my head into every wall I have for a month now! I've also posted this on another forum for double the help! :D

I've been helping a friend with his 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i auto with a weird issue where it will not start, not even crank, when turning the key 80-90% of the time and the other 20-10% of the time it will turn on no problem. When it doesn't start, it shows all proper signs of life and I can hear the engine prime/wake up, but still, no crank.

Everything we've tried has not fixed it, and this is everything we've tried:

-New battery in the car
-Replacing the key battery (twice with 2 different working key batteries)
-Replacing the EWS with a programmed one from BMW and re-syncing it to the car properly with INPA and Tool32

There is a code that comes up that could have a lot of causes, and the code is, 2f45 Interface EWS-DME. After not being able to pinpoint what the issue was, we took it to a BMW repair shop to have them diagnose the issue. they told us that the EWS was bad and needed to be replaced, which is why we ended up buying one from BMW to replace it. At the BMW mechanic's shop, he re-synced the DME and EWS saying that it might work temporarily, but not forever, Which is exactly what happened. For about a week and a half, the car would start up just fine first try every time, but after that, it slowly got less consistent over time to the point where it was the same as before. This is when we bought the new EWS. After installing it and re-syncing it, it started right up every time, but we weren't convinced since it might just be doing the same thing as before and would stop working at any time. Which is exactly what happened yesterday and why I'm making this post. I have researched far and wide on the internet and can find no one who has had this same issue!

There are a couple of things that we have found on other forums to check and try to see if they will help, and I will be doing them soon:

-Checking all of the cable connections to the DME to make sure they are seated properly
-Triggering the voltage at the starter solenoid
-possibly buying a new antenna for the ignition switch in the car
-I found a kit to do an EWS delete but I am hesitant because it is 200 bucks and I'm not fully convinced it is the EWS since a new one fresh from the factory didn't fix it.

A couple of weird things that possibly seem to make it start more often:

-Hooking the car up to a battery charger/jumper (not a battery pack one but one that plugs into the wall) or hooking it up to another car. Both seem to help but because it is random, it is very hard to tell so take it with a grain of salt.
-Possibly leaving the key in the ignition on position for a little bit also seems to maybe do something, but same as before, it feels like coincidence when either of these methods do anything.

Open to everyone and Ill keep everyone up to date on what stuff I try and what ends up fixing it! Thanks to everyone who read this!

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:37 pm
Location: North Hampshire

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by Zedebee » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:04 am

Spencer McDonald wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:29 am I've been helping a friend with his 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i auto with a weird issue where it will not start, not even crank, when turning the key 80-90% of the time and the other 20-10% of the time it will turn on no problem. When it doesn't start, it shows all proper signs of life and I can hear the engine prime/wake up, but still, no crank.

Hi and welcome to the forum. If it was just the above, that’s a classic sign of the starter motor on its last legs. You can sometimes jolt it into life by hitting it with something heavy (e.g. a length of wood and a mallet).
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 14653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:13 am

Or possibly a fault with the ignition switch?
As it’s an auto, have you tried starting in N instead of P to see if that works
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
Image

Spencer McDonald
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:21 am

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by Spencer McDonald » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 pm

Both of those are ideas we've had, though the starter could possibly be ruled out due to there also being weird electrical things that seem to go with this no-start issue. When the car isn't fixed and is giving us this issue, the heated seats and steering wheel controls don't seem to work. Although, when I have some free time coming up, I will try knockin the starter up to see if it helps!

The only reason I haven't wanted to try the ignition switch is that I am hoping to try to diagnose before spending money (since a new switch is around 100 bucks, plus the whole cutting keys situation that comes with it). It is pretty high on my list though as far as what I think it could be.

Thanks for your guys' help! Ill keep yall updated! All help is good help!

Spencer McDonald
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:21 am

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by Spencer McDonald » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:42 pm

Side note: Yea, I have tried starting it in neutral aswell and nswitch between them to no avail :(

Lytesben
Member
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:34 pm

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by Lytesben » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:04 pm

Sounds like ignition switch to me, changed mine yesterday for the same reason.

And it’s just the switch, no need to change ignition barrel and keys etc. I bought one from Amazon for £19.

https://amzn.eu/d/cPrEw0y

Spencer McDonald
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:21 am

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by Spencer McDonald » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 am

I have solved the issue!! You were right! After too many hours of diagnosing and reading wrong info from "professionals" It was the freakin ignition switch! 20 dollar amazon part and it's done! Can't thank you enough! I fixed it about 2 weeks ago but sorry for the late response! Thank you all again for the help!!

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 14653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Starting Randomly, Interface EWS-DME 2F45 Code

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:05 am

Glad you got it sorted. 👍🏻

I assume you will be carrying out an ‘educational visit’ to the dealer. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
Image

Post Reply