Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Impending Euro/Ring trip and preventative maintenance

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Markyboy

Post by Markyboy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:00 pm

I've been chatting to some mates about heading over to the Spa 24 hour GT race in June followed by a few laps on the ring and this has got
me thinking.....
I'd like to take my 2004 Z4 3.0i which is is on only 35k miles. I've had it since 2009 and 14k miles. Unfortunately I work abroad about 6 months of the year, have two other cars and combined with kids/dogs its managed about 500 miles ish a year for the last 8 years and spends 8 months of the year on SORN in the garage. This trip is great as it will allow it to be used as intended!

In terms of originality its all factory parts other than new Serpentine and AC belts, rear springs and the front arms which I replaced with poly lollipops and Meyle arms after advisories on the ball joints in the MOT. Even the rear disks and pads are original as are the front disks. Routine servicing has all been carried out since new.

So I'm thinking I should look at some preventative maintenance....
Water pump (metal impeller upgrade)
Expansion tank..maybe rad even
Hoses maybe depending on condition
Gearbox and diff oil...done 10 years ago...only 8k miles since but still
Fast road pads on the front and rear...(disks are totally fine)...braded hoses maybe
Vanos seals
ICV clean out
DISA check

Any other thoughts? Too much or too little?

Mark.
2004 (54) 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 108's, HiFi, Zenons, Chrome Tips, Elec Folding Mirrors, Elec Seats, Cd Changer, stubby, clear spot rears, Cruise, Sound Generator mod, Sessantas. Next up de-tango....when I get the nerve....

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:45 pm

How about perhaps the most important components on the car...the tyres ? I wouldn't entertain a long Eurotrip, especially with some laps of the 'Ring; without a set of new/nearly new, quality performance tyres fitted :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:20 pm

Too much.

Just service the car (i.e. change all of the fluids) before you go, make sure you have Euro breakdown cover and enjoy the trip.

Brake pads wise would recommend Mintex M1144 up front, leave the rears standard but turn DSC off when on track and you’ll be fine.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Markyboy

Post by Markyboy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:35 am

patriot66 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:45 pm How about perhaps the most important components on the car...the tyres ? I wouldn't entertain a long Eurotrip, especially with some laps of the 'Ring; without a set of new/nearly new, quality performance tyres fitted :thumbsup:
I have given some thought to the tyres and have decided that I'll probably run them as they are. The 108s were refurbished 5 years ago and were fitted with new Goodyear Eagles at the time which have been kept in the dark since and have done about 2k miles. I really can't justify throwing them out...they still have the new tyre gloss from when they were new.

This could change though...I'm after some 17" 106s and if I get some before June then it will be on new Goodyear Asymmetric 6 though this is more in pursuit of ride quality and handling.
2004 (54) 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 108's, HiFi, Zenons, Chrome Tips, Elec Folding Mirrors, Elec Seats, Cd Changer, stubby, clear spot rears, Cruise, Sound Generator mod, Sessantas. Next up de-tango....when I get the nerve....

instigata

Post by instigata » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:46 am

Markyboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:35 am
I have given some thought to the tyres and have decided that I'll probably run them as they are. The 108s were refurbished 5 years ago and were fitted with new Goodyear Eagles at the time which have been kept in the dark since and have done about 2k miles. I really can't justify throwing them out...they still have the new tyre gloss from when they were new.

This could change though...I'm after some 17" 106s and if I get some before June then it will be on new Goodyear Asymmetric 6 though this is more in pursuit of ride quality and handling.
Please check for cracks/breaks between the treads on the tires.

Markyboy

Post by Markyboy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:23 am

instigata wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:46 am
Markyboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:35 am

Please check for cracks/breaks between the treads on the tires.
I inspected all 4 tyres a couple of months ago and they are literally as new. Not even the slightest surface crazing and nothing between the tread either. They could have been fitted a month ago. Conversely I've just replaced the 4 year old Michelins on my wife's car that still had 5mm of tread as they were cracking all over. Sitting outside kills tyres more than anything.