Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ring Subscription Increase

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:47 pm Not compulsory but no cloud storage without it.
So if there are no incidents recorded then why do you need the cloud storage?

Just purchase a SD card with a large capacity and wipe it clean when necessary. My system records only when there is movement, SD card cost me a fiver at Argos and lasts about a month before it needs wiping. I can dial into the cameras from anywhere over WiFi and watch live if I need to or if I get an alert on the phone.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:53 am

Nanu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm
pvr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:47 pm Not compulsory but no cloud storage without it.
So if there are no incidents recorded then why do you need the cloud storage?

Just purchase a SD card with a large capacity and wipe it clean when necessary. My system records only when there is movement, SD card cost me a fiver at Argos and lasts about a month before it needs wiping. I can dial into the cameras from anywhere over WiFi and watch live if I need to or if I get an alert on the phone.
With Ring cameras if you have no cloud storage subscription you can't save any motion clips just live view only. There's no SD storage on the cameras.

Problem is for its customers is if you have alot of investment in their cameras and don't wish to renew your subscription it kinda makes the hardware slightly useless apart from live viewing so unless you want to renew all your hardware you're slightly stuffed. It's a poor show by Ring as they must have an awful lot of cameras out there, video doorbells etc.

A near 50% subscription increase is pure greed.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:44 am

And live view cannot be continuous either which is why I can't use them for my camera setup. I use an old iPad to display one camera's live feed but cannot use a Ring camera for that, so it is just an IP camera (with recording on a NAS).
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:25 pm

I purchased a Eufy over Ring as there is no subscription. Buy it and iits yours for good.
I dont use any form of cloud storage specifically to avoid future charge introduction,
I also understand that Ring data can be accessd by third parties such as police etc?

Very happy with Eufy in terms of detection rate, clarity, storage etc
( I bought it after ASDA delivery no show for which I was still charged - turned out the driver took the shopping back because I didnt answer the door - he was 1/2 hr early - Luckily I had a CCTV clip of him leaving with the shopping .......)
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:29 pm

Does it link to your Alexa Show? I do like it when the Ring goes, that the person is displayed on the Alexa devices so I can see who it is
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:42 pm

I dont have an Alexa - not yet seen the point!
The Eufy is set for Motion and face recognition - if our front gate is open it detects passing farm vehicles otherwise it pings to the mobile phone with a short clip for as long as there is motion and automatically captures a face shot. It also allows 2 way voice via your mobile
Apparently "Connecting eufySecurity devices with Alexa is a simple process. To accomplish this, you'll need to add eufySecurity as a skill in your Alexa App. Once this is finished, you'll be able to use a variety of Alexa-enabled devices with your eufy Security devices."
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:45 pm

The only reason it is handy on the Alexa is that I can voice control the gate to open it (security still maintained via the link to my phone in my pocket)

I am happy to try any devices as customers ask about the best way to integrate those into our Gate control systems.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo