Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight condensation

M33 LMO

Headlight condensation

Post by M33 LMO » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:55 am

I'm wondering whether it's just the change in temperature but I keep getting very moist headlights.

The first time I assumed it was due to me washing the car earlier and maybe the pressure washer had managed to feed some water into the drain hole in the unit whilst the lights were still warm but it seems to keep happening.

Before I take it back to the dealer, anyone else had this issue?
E89 - 20i sDrive MSport - Gone
Current - G29 M40i

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Headlight condensation

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:07 am

Standard ‘issue’ on E89s and G29s..in the E89 user manual it explicitly mentions it as a ‘do not panic captain mannering’ issue.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

coldel

Headlight condensation

Post by coldel » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:35 am

I went to the Pistonheads end of year meet last weekend and walked around the supercar area, ALL the Mclarens had condenstation in the headlights! Cheap tat.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

M33 LMO

Headlight condensation

Post by M33 LMO » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:53 am

B21 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:07 am Standard ‘issue’ on E89s and G29s..in the E89 user manual it explicitly mentions it as a ‘do not panic captain mannering’ issue.. :thumbsup:
I never had this issue on the e89 thankfully (he was a dream until he was not..)
Current - G29 M40i

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Headlight condensation

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:43 pm

M33 LMO wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:53 am
B21 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:07 am Standard ‘issue’ on E89s and G29s..in the E89 user manual it explicitly mentions it as a ‘do not panic captain mannering’ issue.. :thumbsup:
I never had this issue on the e89 thankfully (he was a dream until he was not..)
Some seem to, some don’t..never had it on my 20i but my 35is does..go figure..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight condensation

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:02 pm

Unless you have actual liquid sloshing about in the light fitting, any dealer will just say it's normal, which it sort of is.
Headlight fittings are not hermetically sealed. LED headlights make matters seem worse, as they run really cool, so there is not much heat build up to evaporate any moisture so it can leak back out as steam.

As said, some cars get it, some don't. Luck of the draw, as well as when and how you use the car and where it is kept when not in use.

Our E89 would get a small amount of condensation in the headlights but only in winter. It was garaged and didn't go out in winter! Go figure!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ori

Headlight condensation

Post by ori » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:17 pm

Pretty normal. Most cars have it. Usually the heat from the lights gets rid of it, but I wonder if LED lights get hot enough.

alexm35

Headlight condensation

Post by alexm35 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:44 am

If the bulbs are original halogens, they could be wearing out. Older bulbs produce more heat which can exacerbate fogging when mixed with cool night air. Newer LED or HID bulbs run cooler.Also make sure to keep an eye out for any electrical issues that could point to a more serious problem - if you notice any flickering or odd behavior with the actual lights, best to take it in.Type Calendar is more than just calendars! We provide an array of free business templates including contracts, agreements, and letter templates, along with stunning charts to elevate your business and personal projects.Maximize your chances of securing funding for your projects or initiatives with our comprehensive collection of free printable Grant Proposal templates.

M33 LMO

Headlight condensation

Post by M33 LMO » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:45 pm

alexm35 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:44 am If the bulbs are original halogens, they could be wearing out. Older bulbs produce more heat which can exacerbate fogging when mixed with cool night air. Newer LED or HID bulbs run cooler.Also make sure to keep an eye out for any electrical issues that could point to a more serious problem - if you notice any flickering or odd behavior with the actual lights, best to take it in.Type Calendar is more than just calendars! We provide an array of free business templates including contracts, agreements, and letter templates, along with stunning charts to elevate your business and personal projects.Maximize your chances of securing funding for your projects or initiatives with our comprehensive collection of free printable Grant Proposal templates.
The car is only 6 weeks old so I'd like to think they haven't worn out already :rofl:
Current - G29 M40i

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight condensation

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:41 pm

M33 LMO wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:45 pm
alexm35 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:44 am If the bulbs are original halogens, they could be wearing out. Older bulbs produce more heat which can exacerbate fogging when mixed with cool night air. Newer LED or HID bulbs run cooler.Also make sure to keep an eye out for any electrical issues that could point to a more serious problem - if you notice any flickering or odd behavior with the actual lights, best to take it in.Type Calendar is more than just calendars! We provide an array of free business templates including contracts, agreements, and letter templates, along with stunning charts to elevate your business and personal projects.Maximize your chances of securing funding for your projects or initiatives with our comprehensive collection of free printable Grant Proposal templates.
The car is only 6 weeks old so I'd like to think they haven't worn out already :rofl:
All that flashing your headlights to get these slow minions out of the way may be your problem :wink: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Sladester100

Headlight condensation

Post by Sladester100 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:42 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:41 pm
    All that flashing your headlights to get these slow minions out of the way may be your problem :wink: :rofl:
    uh, the flashing of headlights was to warn the other driver of my presence officer… :thumbsup:
    F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
    G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool: