Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N20 vs B48

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

N20 vs B48

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:28 pm

So it may be that there are two new BMs in the Pond household very shortly; one an E89 N20 and the other an F31 B48 (both 20i variants).

Does anyone know the differences between the two? I know the B48 superseded the N20 but don't know what was changed/ improved? Obviously I want to remap both but don't know anything about the B48 and potential issues.

Any info would be good. Thanks :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

N20 vs B48

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:28 pm So it may be that there are two new BMs in the Pond household very shortly; one an E89 N20 and the other an F31 B48 (both 20i variants).

Does anyone know the differences between the two? I know the B48 superseded the N20 but don't know what was changed/ improved? Obviously I want to remap both but don't know anything about the B48 and potential issues.

Any info would be good. Thanks :)
Don’t bother. It will affect the resale value next week.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

N20 vs B48

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 pm Don’t bother. It will affect the resale value next week.
I was trying to be serious, actually! :wink:

You need to be on your best behaviour, as you are going to be mixing with the 'landed gentry' on Friday. Paul won't take kindly to you turning up at his estate with a hangover (again). :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

N20 vs B48

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:40 pm

I had the N20 engine in my old E89 bought new in 2012, sorry don't have a clue on the B48 :) Some might disagree, but from the off I never liked the engine. It always seemed to suffer from top end rattle which apparently was normal until in warmed up, used to make wince at times. I think cars prior to 2015 were subject of a timing chain recall although I don't know if mine was ever done as I only had it two years. I think some redesign work was done on post 2015 cars. The water pump is also an electric pump as opposed to a mechanical which is I think why the engine on mine used to give a loud whine when cold until in warmed up. I had the car in twice at BMW to try and resolve it. They changed a couple of solenoids but didn't sort it so didn't bother with it any more. Engine was reliable though although I've read it doesn't take to kindly to being tuned with stories of the block cracking on tuned cars. Think it received some engine of the year award when it first came out although unsure why really, its nothing special. Only wished at the time I had gone for the 2.3 straight 6 which was the car I test drove before placing an order but couldn't stretch to one money wise at the time so went for the 2.0 4cyl.

Tim.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

N20 vs B48

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:21 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:21 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 pm Don’t bother. It will affect the resale value next week.
I was trying to be serious, actually! :wink:

You need to be on your best behaviour, as you are going to be mixing with the 'landed gentry' on Friday. Paul won't take kindly to you turning up at his estate with a hangover (again). :D
Don’t worry I’m not working on his estate. It’s his roadster
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: