Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blanked out cluster lights

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Gil1813

Post by Gil1813 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 am

Hi everyone,
A brief intro about the zed bought last year.
2003 m54 2.5 manual with only 53000 miles on car on the outside is pretty good but needed a little tlc.
Nothing showed up on test drive or when looking around it.
Now after trying to work through the jobs I'm coming across what's underneath.
Various fault codes relating to abs and DSC, but no lights on the dash, on removal of the cluster unit someone previously has blanked out both traction light and abs light.
I changed the yaw sensor yesterday for a same part number unit (second hand) but no chance light still there and codes will not clear
Codes 5e15 5e30 5e38
My other issue is I'm starting to think tha abs module is either faulty or the wrong one as the part number doesn't seem correct.
Any help much appreciated
Thanks

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:24 pm

Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry to hear your problems, by the sounds of things whoever had the car previously either couldn’t find the problem or it’s an expensive fix, either way there a several members on here that will be able to help you get this resolved and hopefully cheaply.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:17 pm

I have previously helped another forum member to fix a 5E30 code, which was really hard to figure out but an easy fix in the end. Worth trying the fix if you have INPA (or can find a local member who has it) before spending good money on components.

viewtopic.php?t=137461. (Skip to the end for a write up).

Good luck.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:37 pm

Also, check this thread where enuff_zed fixed 5E30 and 5E38 by replacing the ABS speed sensor on the left front wheel (easy peasy).

viewtopic.php?p=1843669
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:32 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:37 pm Also, check this thread where enuff_zed fixed 5E30 and 5E38 by replacing the ABS speed sensor on the left front wheel (easy peasy).

viewtopic.php?p=1843669
Googling the codes shows yaw sensor (but you've done that), dsc unit, or rear left wheel sensor (not that if your speedo still works).
It is possible the old yaw sensor failed due to damp under the carpet. In which case I would double check there is no corrosion on the plug pins.
I had an Autophix 5900 code reader which told me exactly which of the four wheel sensors was the issue.
It could be that one is sending a spurious signal (or no signal) which is showing as an issue within the DSC unit instead.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Gil1813

Post by Gil1813 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:08 pm

Thanks guys,

Thing is the damn car has really got under my skin and I just can't see it not right, so I'll keep chipping away at the various issues to get it sorted.
This place is great because of the like minded people.

I did get a autophix 7910 after reading a few of your recommendations Enuff zed, but tech is not my thing so maybe I'm not using it correctly??
With regards the yaw sensor the car has been in the garage since iv had it so definitely now dry, but when removing the seat to get it out there has been damp/wet down there, the runners are all rusty on the carpet and the yaw sensor was very corroded.
I've replaced it with same part number 34526759412 which was off a mini, hoping iv got the correct one ?

Although frustrating I do enjoy the challenge, sometimes :headbang:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:48 pm

Gil1813 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:08 pm Thanks guys,

Thing is the damn car has really got under my skin and I just can't see it not right, so I'll keep chipping away at the various issues to get it sorted.
This place is great because of the like minded people.

I did get a autophix 7910 after reading a few of your recommendations Enuff zed, but tech is not my thing so maybe I'm not using it correctly??
With regards the yaw sensor the car has been in the garage since iv had it so definitely now dry, but when removing the seat to get it out there has been damp/wet down there, the runners are all rusty on the carpet and the yaw sensor was very corroded.
I've replaced it with same part number 34526759412 which was off a mini, hoping iv got the correct one ?

Although frustrating I do enjoy the challenge, sometimes :headbang:
Should be the silver metal one? If it's black plastic you have a facelift version which isn't compatible.
I would take the time to double check the connector just in case.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Joez4

Post by Joez4 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:24 am

I had an airbag fault code on my car for over a year that I wasn't aware of as a previous owner had blanked out the light too, mine was a simple fix cleaned the connections under the seat with electrical contact cleaner and haven't had the fault since, cleaning connections this way has rectified other faults I've had on the car too, so everytime I disconnect anything on the car now I clean it with contact cleaner.
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster

colb

Post by colb » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:19 pm

Have you checked realoem parts site for the correct part number that was fitted to your car using the last 7 of your Vin number?
Here is a link to my 2003 2.5 showing the ABS parts but do check using your Vin number.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showpart ... Id=34_1308
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Gil1813

Post by Gil1813 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks everyone,

Yes the old and new yaw sensor are both metal silver ones.
Have given all the contacts a good soaking with wd40 and still codes appear.
I'm clearing the codes on the autophix but they are still showing when checking again.
Colb- funny thing is with part checker when I put my vin in it says no parts available on yaw sensor page only ??

Enuff zed- can the silver metal ones still work regardless of part numbers?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:34 pm

Gil1813 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:25 am Thanks everyone,

Yes the old and new yaw sensor are both metal silver ones.
Have given all the contacts a good soaking with wd40 and still codes appear.
I'm clearing the codes on the autophix but they are still showing when checking again.
Colb- funny thing is with part checker when I put my vin in it says no parts available on yaw sensor page only ??

Enuff zed- can the silver metal ones still work regardless of part numbers?
I believe they do but I’ve only ever used other Z4 hones.

colb

Post by colb » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:48 am

Couldn't find the part number you posted on Realoem but did find a youtube video on replacing the yaw sensor under the carpet here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfCw3-8zz0
Not much use as you have already been through this but may help others reading this thread.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Gil1813

Post by Gil1813 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:44 pm

This is the exact part that I got, it does look in good condition, but could it be still faulty as it is a used one ??
Is there anyway of checking to see if faulty?

Colb- I have found the part number on part checker it show 2 diagrams for the brake system, and only gives details on the second diagram. Also part number on that is not the same as the one I bought.
Th
Attachments
1703341051140.jpg
1703341051140.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Have you recalibrated the new yaw sensor?

Gil1813

Post by Gil1813 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:54 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:50 pm Have you recalibrated the new yaw sensor?
I thought they were plug and play ??
What's the process for recalibrating??
Can I do this with an autophix 7910 ?
Thanks