Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re-fitting centre console trim advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Related to my MMI install...

Having real difficulty refitting the centre console trim.

Any advice?

It was the same after changing the roof buttons but then it just somehow eventually slotted in. That ain't happening this time though :/
E89 35i DCT (2009)
Located mainly in SE London and occasionally Hastings

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:12 pm

It's not easy, especially if it's not been out before.
I would recommend that you try refitting it with the radio surround off, as this "can" help.
Also the centre console lid up.

So with all the plugs back in place, and the rubber infill section that goes around the gear shifter (manual), lower the front end into the lower part under the radio area. Now this is a push forward and press down all at the same time movement.
While holding this in and down as much as you can you need to be able to see the rear-most clip, so you need to be in the drivers seat. To get this clip in you need to slightly bend the rear section of the console trimdown while holding the middle slightly up, ie; putting a slight curve in it. This is to allow the rear-most clip to fit into the retainer. Once this clip is located in the retainer bang it down all the way round.

I hope that makes some sense?

Dave
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:45 pm

Have you got all the interior cables out of the way..if they are poorly routed they can prevent the trim seating properly..

On mine I find a firm tap with the flat of my hand helps seat it..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:34 pm

Thanks both (again).

I managed to get it in. I think the issue was needing to put more downward pressure at the very front. I think the side locating-pins weren't hooking up properly which meant it would not move forward enough - the downwards pressure meant they'd seat properly. I think.

All back together and looking good

Related
The OEM mic is the last job to do but that can wait - I've left the mmi mic cable hanging out of the drivers side so won't need to take it all apart again 🤪
E89 35i DCT (2009)
Located mainly in SE London and occasionally Hastings