Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another 6 Speaker Upgrade plus Apple CarPlay - Subwoofers Installed!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:59 pm

ezykammm wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:36 pm Thanks for the write up.
So does the MMI box not utilise the factory fitted microphones at all via its T connection and you have to use the provided external mic (or somehow connect to the mics under the steering wheel shroud )?
B21 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:44 pm Early MMI boxes used their own microphone…I understand there are now MMI boxes that use the OE mic, but I have no experience of them…
I believe mine is one of the early MMI boxes and it is possible to connect it to the car's mic which is in the steering wheel shroud. Anubiszed knows more about this. I chose to use the mic supplied with the MMI box since it's easier to install and can be mounted discreetly so it is not visible when sitting in the car generally.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:29 pm

the Mr 12 Volt one has OEM microphone support

https://www.mr12volt.com/en-gb/collecti ... 2000-cicmm

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:06 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:29 pm the Mr 12 Volt one has OEM microphone support

https://www.mr12volt.com/en-gb/collecti ... 2000-cicmm
So a blue box hasn’t and the grey box has….ah well a bit late for me now unless it fails..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:23 pm

I have one on order and Anubis on standby for the install. :D

mlippett

Post by mlippett » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 pm IMG_0702.jpeg

After many hours and stripping out almost half the car I finally managed to remove the carpeted trim panel behind the seats to where the subs will be installed. What a right pain in the backside this job is, I now have a room full of car trim parts in the house!

The good news is the carpeted panel has the markings for the original subs on the back, so I can use that as a guide to centre the holes for the Kicker subs that I have.

IMG_0706.jpeg

Hi Silverstar,

Did you find any step-by-step guide to removing the trim panel behind the seats (the one you drilled out and mounted subs into), or did you play it by ear? I have the workshop manual but it does the classic Haynes one-liner on the subject.

I also have the same question on the front-to-back wiring run you did on the sill trim, but I imagine that is a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,

-M

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:50 pm

mlippett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm
Silverstar wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 pm IMG_0702.jpeg

After many hours and stripping out almost half the car I finally managed to remove the carpeted trim panel behind the seats to where the subs will be installed. What a right pain in the backside this job is, I now have a room full of car trim parts in the house!

The good news is the carpeted panel has the markings for the original subs on the back, so I can use that as a guide to centre the holes for the Kicker subs that I have.

IMG_0706.jpeg

Hi Silverstar,

Did you find any step-by-step guide to removing the trim panel behind the seats (the one you drilled out and mounted subs into), or did you play it by ear? I have the workshop manual but it does the classic Haynes one-liner on the subject.

I also have the same question on the front-to-back wiring run you did on the sill trim, but I imagine that is a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,

-M
Hi,

I used a similar workshop manual and there was another website where someone had removed this panel before and given some tips. I am travelling for the next four to five days but next week I will try and see if I can find the website and send you a link.

Basically though it's a right pain in the backside of a job. You have to dismantle absolutely all of the the trim in the rear, roll over hoops covers side panels (where the speakers are located) undo the seat belt bolt (remember to replace it with a new bolts) etc.

The two stumbling points for me were the tie hooks behind the seats and the sub woofer panel in question is held in by a couple of bolts (if I remember correctly or could be hooks) which are located behind the center console so this needs to be loosen in order to gain access.

These are the tie hooks behind the seats that I mentioned, there is one either side:
IMG_0487.jpeg
IMG_0487.jpeg (98.68 KiB) Viewed 144 times
You need to lift the metal hook and behind is small trim piece which you need to remove and behind that is a bolt that has to be removed. I spent hours trying to figure that out!

Regarding running the wiring front to back, that's quite straight forward especially once you have removed all the trim to get to the rear sub woofer panel. Once you have done that and removed the door sill panels you simply follow the same route as the car's original wiring.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red