Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag removal

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag removal

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:51 pm

I put it in here as it's a generic question....

Am I right in thinking that if I disconnect my battery, I can remove airbags without any danger of them firing?
I soon need to remove all the airbags from a car but it scares me shiteless at the thought of one 'going off' by accident when fecking around with it.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag removal

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:43 pm

You are correct.

But do you believe me? :poke:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DMike

Airbag removal

Post by DMike » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:54 pm

Hi,

Short version:
Disconnect battery, wait for a minute and don’t do anything stupid with them and you’ll be ok.

Long version, quote from the TIS safety precautions document TIS 72 00:

Work on components of the airbag system should only ever be carried out with the battery disconnected, the negative terminal post covered and the plug connection of the cable leading to the gas generator disconnected. If only the battery is disconnected, the following prescribed waiting period must be observed without fail:
30 min. for vehicles up to 9/93
1 min. for vehicles from 9/93 onward

In the event of breaks in work, a component with a gas generator that has been removed must be secured against access by other persons.
Individual components must never be repaired. Instead, always replace them.
Do not treat airbag system components with cleaning agents or grease.
Components of the airbag system must not be exposed to temperatures in excess of 75 °C.
Airbag system components, including electronic diagnostic components, which have been dropped from heights in excess of 0.5 m must not be reinstalled in the vehicles.
Do not remove components of the airbag system from the original packaging until immediately before they are to be installed in the vehicle.
Before installing, subject components such as housing, connector pins ,etc. of the airbag system (including diagnosis electronics) to a visual inspection for damage and replace if necessary.
Airbag system components may only be electrically tested while they are installed and only with the BMW ISTA.
Danger of injury: The airbag module may only be set down with the airbag itself facing upwards. Otherwise the alternator will be thrown upwards if it is ignited.
Do not point the ignition squib of a gas generator at other persons.
Components with gas generators must not be fired while they are removed. They must be disposed of by special disposal companies or returned to BMW in the packaging of the new components.
When carrying out straightening and welding work with an electric welder:
Disconnect battery
Cover negative terminal (post)
Avoid all contact with the skin when removing a fired airbag module ‐ wear gloves. Wash with water after contact with the skin.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag removal

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:43 pm But do you believe me?
Of course I do, Martin. You are a very trustworthy person (gleaned from a source I don't know if I can trust). :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag removal

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:28 pm

DMike wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:54 pm Short version:
Disconnect battery, wait for a minute and don’t do anything stupid with them and you’ll be ok.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

The long version is a bit too much of an H&S quote for me. :oops:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold