Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trickle chargers

Discussing the current generation Z4
jarvo

Trickle chargers

Post by jarvo » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:54 pm

Hello - First time poster here. G29 owner for a couple of years now :)

I'm putting the old boy into storage storage for 4-5 months soon - I have a garage -. Looking at the interweb the key things seem to be:

Jack it up onto axle stands;
Brim the tank
Trickle charge the battery.

Couple of questions.

1) Can you leave trickle chargers on for so long or will I burn down my garage , car and probably my house?
2) Can I disconnect the battery and bring it inside to avoid it going flat. Wondering whether the car will start or if I will need security codes from BMW?

I'll keep doing the research but any advise from the Bods in the know would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jarvo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Trickle chargers

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:06 pm

I wouldn't worry about jacking it up, TBH. Leaving the suspension on 'full droop' will probably do more harm than good. If you are worried about tyres perishing, just rotate them every now and again. Don't think it will be an issue for a few months, though.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel either for just a few months.

1) A good trickle/ maintenance charger (cTek or equivalent) can be left connected indefinitely. It will be fine.
2) No point if you do the above. With a modern car like the G29, you really don't want to remove the battery if you can avoid it IMHO.

Oh and remember...it is a car, not a newborn baby! :poke: :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Trickle chargers

Post by dr_john » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:18 am

Mine has little use over the winter, it’s garaged and I make a trip once a week of maybe 10 miles or so to keep everything in running order.

Works for me! :)
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Zed Baron

Trickle chargers

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:39 am

I SORN my E89 over the winter, it sits in the garage on the CTEK trickle charger no problem (it's on it most of the year as it doesn't get much use). I just move it in and out of the garage a couple of times just to avoid flat spots and I don't engage the handbrake.

darich

Trickle chargers

Post by darich » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:45 am

I recently sold my motorbike which I hadn't used since the MOT in March 2022. around 3/4 tank of fuel and connected to optimate smart charger.
Bike started on first press of the button so fuel is no issue for several months.
The charger switches between save/recovery/charge/drain/strain to ensure good health
My smart charger is optimate....several models available and it works a treat. I'm hoping to be able to rig up my car to it, even though the car isn't in the garage.
Bike tyres were always fine after standing for several months too.

I expect the car will be fine connected to a charger and standing for 4-5months.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

smorris_12

Trickle chargers

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:19 am

Best advice is to park it up fully hot. Literally take it for a solid blast (preferably on a dry day) and park it up once and once only. No stopping the engine to open garage doors or anything. Hot, in, stop.

Moisture is far more of a problem than anything else.

I haven't got a trickle charger so just try and remember to go round sat cars every 2-3 months and put them on charge for a day.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Trickle chargers

Post by B21 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:25 am

+1 on CTEK charger..

Tank full and tyres inflated to stock+20% ..remember to deflate to normal prior to using..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: