Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
coldel
Member
Member
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

Post by coldel » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:51 pm

I just dont see the point in spending thousands on a car, calling it your pride and joy, and scrimping on the key part that keeps you attached to the road. Ive owned Vreds Kumhos and Michelins and definitely between the Vreds and Michelins it was very noticeable and very marked. You might be driving Ms Daisy around but i bet you also do 80mph on the motorway where tyre performance/braking is significant.

Fair play if you want to save a couple of hundred quid, thats completely your choice. But personally, for the stuff that attaches your car to the ground, if you can afford it, then get that important part purchased and on the car.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

User avatar
mr wilks
Legend
Legend
Posts: 21901
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancashire

Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

Post by mr wilks » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:23 pm

coldel wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:51 pm
I just dont see the point in spending thousands on a car, calling it your pride and joy, and scrimping on the key part that keeps you attached to the road. Ive owned Vreds Kumhos and Michelins and definitely between the Vreds and Michelins it was very noticeable and very marked.
I know what you mean , a few years ago i bought a 997 Carrera4 that came with a brand new set of PS4S on , noise was intolerable , wet grip was " ok "
Sold them , replaced with Vred Vorti & all was well . Grippy in cold , wet & dry + quiet :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo + Golf R

warmasice
Member
Member
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

Post by warmasice » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:52 pm

^^:rofl: :rofl:
Image

Online
User avatar
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:36 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:10 am
Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:14 pm The M40i came with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, great tyre but took quite a while to heat up so first 10/15 minutes were arse clenching!

Replaced with Conti 7’s even better tyre but started life with 6.8mm and very quick wearing.

Replaced with Falken 520 UHP’s, half the price of the Michelin’s and £80 a rear cheaper than the Conti’s,

Wouldn’t put the Falkens back on the M40i, squirrelly as f**k would be the best way to describe them compared to the other two, chirping away when driving spiritedly, but I suppose the question in the thread was was normal driving……….., all of these tyres have been given a reasonable work out :tumbleweed: :rofl:

But would put the Falkens on my other cars

Not sure what will replace the Falkens, if I still have it by then :oops:
Just when I thought you had gone for good! Nice to see (read :wink: ) you again Andrew
Nah, I’m still here, life just got in the way a bit :thumbsup:

    G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

    plenty
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 387
    Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 pm

    Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

    Post by plenty » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:19 pm

    I've not tried Vortis but I really liked their predecessors, the Vredestein Sessantas that I ran on my E39 M5. I rated them on a par with the PSSs and Eagle F1 A3s which I also ran on that car, two of the leading UHP offerings at the time.

    I considered Vortis for my most recent set for the Z4 in June, but PS5s during a Costco promotion worked out about the same money, so chose those instead.

    coldel
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 683
    Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

    Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

    Post by coldel » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:26 am

    mr wilks wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:23 pm
    coldel wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:51 pm
    I just dont see the point in spending thousands on a car, calling it your pride and joy, and scrimping on the key part that keeps you attached to the road. Ive owned Vreds Kumhos and Michelins and definitely between the Vreds and Michelins it was very noticeable and very marked.
    I know what you mean , a few years ago i bought a 997 Carrera4 that came with a brand new set of PS4S on , noise was intolerable , wet grip was " ok "
    Sold them , replaced with Vred Vorti & all was well . Grippy in cold , wet & dry + quiet :oops:
    I had the Vortis, they were ok, they were quieter than the chinese god knows what on the car before them. Have PS4's not PS4S on my Z4 now and much better overall than the Vortis on my other car (which was AWD and heavier) they broke loose quite easily especially when cold they didnt like the AWD for sure. The wear on them wasnt great either (leads to false economies)

    What I read Continentals are now class leading.

    In any case, I agree, its the driver that finds a ditch not the tyres. However if I am going to have an expensive car, I am going to put decent tyres on it. Makes me laugh seeing blinged up cars on crap tyres, priorities all wrong.
    Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
    Previously
    BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
    Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
    Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
    Vauxhall VX220 NA
    Nissan 350z

    User avatar
    Stevo1987
    Senior Member
    Senior Member
    Posts: 1213
    Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:08 pm
    Location: Breckland, Norfolk

    Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

    Post by Stevo1987 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:57 pm

    Today I have had a set of Falken FK520’s fitted. Admittedly, not to the Zed but my little four wheel drive motor. I will report back with my findings in due course :thumbsup:
    2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
    2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

    User avatar
    MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 5109
    Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:57 pm
    Location: Devon

    Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

    Post by MikeyH » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:07 pm

    Okay, so Halfords has the Goodyear F1 Assym 5 going for a very good price. How do you all rate these considering they are now older but were once one of the best. :thumbsup: Debating getting a pair for the rear of my 2.2 E85, I tend to drive carefully :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

    User avatar
    B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 5762
    Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:15 pm
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

    Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

    Post by B21 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:14 pm

    MikeyH wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:07 pm Okay, so Halfords has the Goodyear F1 Assym 5 going for a very good price. How do you all rate these considering they are now older but were once one of the best. :thumbsup: Debating getting a pair for the rear of my 2.2 E85, I tend to drive carefully :thumbsup:
    They are still great tyres sitting in the premier league with no foibles or issues..you won’t regret buying them ..
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

    User avatar
    MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 5109
    Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:57 pm
    Location: Devon

    Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

    Post by MikeyH » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:22 pm

    B21 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:14 pm
    MikeyH wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:07 pm Okay, so Halfords has the Goodyear F1 Assym 5 going for a very good price. How do you all rate these considering they are now older but were once one of the best. :thumbsup: Debating getting a pair for the rear of my 2.2 E85, I tend to drive carefully :thumbsup:

    They are still great tyres sitting in the premier league with no foibles or issues..you won’t regret buying them ..
    That’s great to hear, thank you :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

    Post Reply