Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit

Post by Z4000 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:30 pm

Hi Z4 Forum

I really hope you can help me.
Today I tried swapping my normal leather seats, to the M sport version (the car is a 2003 E85).
The seats are Right-hand drive, and I needed them converted to Left. I swapped both control units and wiring harnesses from my original seats. When I turned the car on and used my OBD reader it said "04 Hall sensor, seat height: open circuit".
I have now swapped back the original seats and the same code is still there.

I have tried to Google, but can't seem to find any solution.

Any suggestions?

Someone, please help me :(
Last edited by Z4000 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13225
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:38 pm

Is anything not working?
Is it possible that code was there before?
Headquarters of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Vanos seals, Disa mods, EPS motors & column changes, roof motor relocations, suspension refreshes, airbag module coding, transport mode resets, anything else you need help with please PM me.

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:55 pm

Everything is working. I tried erasing the code, but reappears immediately afterwards.

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13225
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:01 pm

Z4000 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:55 pm Everything is working. I tried erasing the code, but reappears immediately afterwards.
My point is that maybe it’s always been there. If everything is working and you didn’t have a code reader you’d be unaware and perfectly happy.
Headquarters of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Vanos seals, Disa mods, EPS motors & column changes, roof motor relocations, suspension refreshes, airbag module coding, transport mode resets, anything else you need help with please PM me.

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:24 am

That could be the case, but I have a warning light in the dashboard now. Which i did not before :(

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13225
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:59 am

Z4000 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:24 am That could be the case, but I have a warning light in the dashboard now. Which i did not before :(
Well you never said that!
What warning light is it?

Usel does a lot with seats. Maybe he can help?
Headquarters of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Vanos seals, Disa mods, EPS motors & column changes, roof motor relocations, suspension refreshes, airbag module coding, transport mode resets, anything else you need help with please PM me.

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:52 am

The car shows an ‘airbag light’ but my OBD Reader, does not show any codes for the airbag. Should I take it to a certified dealer to get it scanned properly?

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13225
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:02 am

Z4000 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:52 am The car shows an ‘airbag light’ but my OBD Reader, does not show any codes for the airbag. Should I take it to a certified dealer to get it scanned properly?
Ah I see.
That is possibly self-induced tbh. Did you disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so before you unplugged the seats?
If not then that is likely to have set the airbag light. Unless you have someone nearby who has a reader good enough to reset it then it may be a trip to a dealer, or at least a garage that has suitable equipment.
First try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes then reconnecting it. If you are really lucky that may work.
It may also have nothing at all to do with the code you have.
Headquarters of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Vanos seals, Disa mods, EPS motors & column changes, roof motor relocations, suspension refreshes, airbag module coding, transport mode resets, anything else you need help with please PM me.

User avatar
Usel
Member
Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Usel » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm

There are 2 airbag codes you have to clear.

I assume when you put the new m-sports seats in your car you didn't do anything to bypass the occupancy sensor or put an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat?

Putting your old seats in the car will not clear the airbag light.

The 2 codes your have to clear are the sbsl and sbsr I think?

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:46 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:02 am
Z4000 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:52 am The car shows an ‘airbag light’ but my OBD Reader, does not show any codes for the airbag. Should I take it to a certified dealer to get it scanned properly?
Ah I see.
That is possibly self-induced tbh. Did you disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so before you unplugged the seats?
If not then that is likely to have set the airbag light. Unless you have someone nearby who has a reader good enough to reset it then it may be a trip to a dealer, or at least a garage that has suitable equipment.
First try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes then reconnecting it. If you are really lucky that may work.
It may also have nothing at all to do with the code you have.
I just tried disconnecting the battery, did not work. I will try to get it to a dealer, and get it properly reset. Thank you for your help :)

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:48 pm

Usel wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm There are 2 airbag codes you have to clear.

I assume when you put the new m-sports seats in your car you didn't do anything to bypass the occupancy sensor or put an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat?

Putting your old seats in the car will not clear the airbag light.

The 2 codes your have to clear are the sbsl and sbsr I think?
I used an 'Airbag Emulator Passenger Seat' that I bought from Mat-emulators.co.uk

Maybe that is the wrong part to bypass the occupancy sensor. Not 100% sure.

User avatar
Usel
Member
Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Usel » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:16 am

Z4000 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:48 pm
Usel wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm There are 2 airbag codes you have to clear.

I assume when you put the new m-sports seats in your car you didn't do anything to bypass the occupancy sensor or put an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat?

Putting your old seats in the car will not clear the airbag light.

The 2 codes your have to clear are the sbsl and sbsr I think?
I used an 'Airbag Emulator Passenger Seat' that I bought from Mat-emulators.co.uk

Maybe that is the wrong part to bypass the occupancy sensor. Not 100% sure.
I've used the same emulator from Mat and have had no problems.

Find out how much it will cost to clear the airbag light. Then consider buying a code reader that can clear the airbag fault light because its very likely you may get another one before you finally get those M-Sport seats working in your car.

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:35 am

Usel wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:16 am
Z4000 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:48 pm
Usel wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm There are 2 airbag codes you have to clear.

I assume when you put the new m-sports seats in your car you didn't do anything to bypass the occupancy sensor or put an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat?

Putting your old seats in the car will not clear the airbag light.

The 2 codes your have to clear are the sbsl and sbsr I think?
I used an 'Airbag Emulator Passenger Seat' that I bought from Mat-emulators.co.uk

Maybe that is the wrong part to bypass the occupancy sensor. Not 100% sure.
I've used the same emulator from Mat and have had no problems.

Find out how much it will cost to clear the airbag light. Then consider buying a code reader that can clear the airbag fault light because its very likely you may get another one before you finally get those M-Sport seats working in your car.
What code reader would you recommend?

User avatar
Usel
Member
Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Usel » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:49 am

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-M ... B0791C1VVD

But read this thread about other possibly cheaper options from other forum users:

viewtopic.php?t=132273

Z4000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm

04 Hall sensor, seat height: Open Circuit - PROBLEM!

Post by Z4000 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:16 pm

Usel wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:49 am I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-M ... B0791C1VVD

But read this thread about other possibly cheaper options from other forum users:

viewtopic.php?t=132273
Thank you so much for your help. Bought one that should be able to do the job.

Can’t wait to get those M seats working properly :)

Post Reply