Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice on hardtop Adjustment

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
gwatson

Post by gwatson » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:38 pm

Does anyone have advice or a doucment which shows how to adjust the fitting of a Z4 hardtop.

I am collecting a used one at the weekend. Whilst I understand all UK Z4's all prep'd for a hardtop, I may still experience some wind noise at higher speeds. Is there anything I can do, or is it a stealer visit = £££'s.

G
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

Z4kma

Re: Advice on hardtop Adjustment

Post by Z4kma » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:40 pm

I'm not sure there is any adjustment. Just two connectors where the top fits behind the driver and passenger's shoulder and a central lock above the rear view mirror to lock the front down. I've got the manual that came with it so I could scan it and email it to you ... let me know.
Kevin :)
2003, Z4, 3.0i SE, 18k miles, Titanium Silver, Black Oregon Leather, Composite Star 18", Cruise, PDC, Xenon, Hardtop

JackB1

Post by JackB1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:42 pm

Hello-

I was lucky to find my used hardtop with a friend here in Florida (KCSails) and he even delivered it to me in Gainesville. :driving: Thanks KC!

Once attached, I had some top right windshield/top wind noise. I searched and found this post in Z4UM (now a lost data base). Thank GOD I printed it out so I would have it in the garage when I went through the steps.

I don't know who posted it so thank you, whoever you are, for your very complete instructions! :thumbsup:

Good luck. :D Post a follow up with pictures!

Best!
Jack
Last edited by JackB1 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMWCCA / ZSCCA /OZark Z Club / Sunshine CruZers
Homecoming 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
2005 Z4 3.0 6SP Black Sapphire Metallic

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Ah okay, that's good the hear. It's just a remember a few people complaining of wind noise which their dealer fixed.

Thanks for the offer Kevin, but the owner is supplying the manual with the roof.

Out of interest, what's your experience with the hard top. Apart from it making the car look more aggressive and the added advantages in the winter. Does it make the car quieter on the motorway etc? Z4 suffers from a lot of road noise with the big tyres.

P.S.... wouldn't it be cool if one of the custom sunroof companies would make a kit for the Z4 hardtop just to let more light into the cabin. Z4 is quite dull inside with the roof up, although the hardtop rear window is bigger.
Current:
E70 X5 30d

Previous:

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:47 pm

JackB1 wrote:Hello-

I was lucky to find my used hardtop with a friend here in Florida (KCSails) and he even delivered it to me in Gainesville. :driving: Thanks KC!

Once attached, I had some top right windshield/top wind noise. I searched and found this post in Z4UM (now a lost data base). Thank GOD I printed it out so I would have it in the garage when I went through the steps.

I don't know who posted it so thank you, whoever you are, for your very complete instructions! :thumbsup:

Good luck. :D Post a follow up with pictures!

Best!
Jack

Brilliant. Exactly what I need. Hopefully it will be ok though. Will def get some pictures posted :) Cheer.

G
Current:
E70 X5 30d

Previous:

Z4kma

Post by Z4kma » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:29 pm

gwatson wrote:Ah okay, that's good the hear. It's just a remember a few people complaining of wind noise which their dealer fixed.

Thanks for the offer Kevin, but the owner is supplying the manual with the roof.

Out of interest, what's your experience with the hard top. Apart from it making the car look more aggressive and the added advantages in the winter. Does it make the car quieter on the motorway etc? Z4 suffers from a lot of road noise with the big tyres.

P.S.... wouldn't it be cool if one of the custom sunroof companies would make a kit for the Z4 hardtop just to let more light into the cabin. Z4 is quite dull inside with the roof up, although the hardtop rear window is bigger.
Hi

I've not had much experience with the hardtop ... drove it home 80 miles from the dealer, took it off and hung it in the garage ... never been on since! (only had the car since August). Certainly didn't notice any unexpected wind noise on the motorway ... perhaps it was fitted properly in the first place. But, at least I'll know how to check it when I put it on for the winter. A 'sunroof' would be pretty cool ... compared to having the roof down everything seems quite dull inside!Cheers. :driving:
2003, Z4, 3.0i SE, 18k miles, Titanium Silver, Black Oregon Leather, Composite Star 18", Cruise, PDC, Xenon, Hardtop

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi Jack,

Thanks for posting up the adjustment instructions last week for the hardtop. Well picked it up yesterday and like you there is a bit of wind noise from the top right. At the back right (if you're sitting in the car) it's much closer to the bodywork than the other side. So is the problem it's too low at the back right, thus pulling the front right up? Is it only this side I should adjust?

Overall I am very happy. It looks awesome, very agressive. It's a bit quiter, even more when I fix it hopefully. :) :)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Graeme
Current:
E70 X5 30d

Previous:

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:32 pm

Jack,

Reading through the instructions again, which way should I adjust the nut to lift the back up? I assume anti clockwise to wind it out and make it sit higher at the back.

Also, where do you get rear window heated window cable from? I can't find it. There is a wire which connects to the metal the rear hardtop bit slides into, is it that I remove and connect to the hardtop, or is that to detect if the roof is on, therefore disable the roof function.????

G
Current:
E70 X5 30d

Previous:

Bob123

Post by Bob123 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:18 pm

I've got an extra set of hardtop adjustment instructions that came with my car, I thought that they might help. Interestingly it looks as if you can adjust the hardtop from side to side too. I've scanned them as a PDF but it doesn't look as if I can upload a PDF, is that right?

Could someone tell me what size spanner is used for adjusting the hardtop on the vertical adjustment nuts (picture 10 above)? I haven't got a spanner that fits but from the look of it it's a 21mm nut, is that right?
Pre-facelift E85 3.0i SE with manual gearbox - written off by insurer
Some accessories for sale now and in the future.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:20 pm

Yes, 21mm :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Bob123

Post by Bob123 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:15 am

patriot66, thanks for confirming that.
Pre-facelift E85 3.0i SE with manual gearbox - written off by insurer
Some accessories for sale now and in the future.

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:59 pm

I confess writing those instructions back in the Z4um days, must have been one of my first posts. Guess I have the text and images somewhere in my files still, but smaller cropped versions of the images, stored in Photobucket (an image storage site at that time) are probably lost by now. In addition to the booklet that came with the hardtop there are some useful TIS documents, e.g. adjusting the front with shims, that I was unaware of when writing the instructions.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey