Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Restraint System Faulty - Code 93C1

Jeverson28

Post by Jeverson28 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:57 pm

I recently had this appear on my car (coincidentally after changing tyres, oil and brake fluid) along with airbag+seatbelt dash lights and had it checked out by a local garage. He told me it's a fairly common fault with BMWs and that most owners install a small resistor which sends the correct values out to the system as the "fix" is rather expensive.

I have a number of questions about this because it seems a bit "hacky" for lack of a better word. Does it affect any other systems in the car e.g. heated seats/airbag etc.? Will the root cause of the issue get worse/cause further problems?

Is there a particular device I should be getting for my car? It's an 09 sdrive30i if this helps.

Thanks in advance!
2003 E85 3.0i Maldives Blue - Sold to a forum member
2009 E89 sdrive 30i Silver

javis20

Post by javis20 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:01 pm

Before you jump to conclusions...

What is your battery voltage. The system doesn't like low voltage. Should measure around 12.6 V with the car turned off.

Does the code come back after resetting it? If it does, try your mechanics suggestion to jumper the sensor with a resistor. If this is successful, then you know the problem is the seat pad sensor. To replace the occupancy sensor, you have to remove the seat and remove the seat cover. The sensor is a large pad.

This video is for a different BMW, but the procedure is 95% the same. I did mine a few years back. Hardest part is releasing the plastic side trim. The latches are pretty hidden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8diuw749w

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Yellow connector under seat, try unplugging, cleaning, replugging.

ye