Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4C v Mk5 Supra v A110

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Rldee007

4C v Mk5 Supra v A110

Post by Rldee007 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:21 am

Thank you @-tom- and @ole gits rule.

Though it will be daily I aim to do 6 to 8 k a year in what ever I get. I want something different with small footprint. I have done some reading about the 4C and they generally really reliable as it is trail and test drivetrain and gear box and I expect rust should be minimum being car fibre lol. I have been told the 4C can be delicate though reliable but further reading jacking up the car to change a wheel, or brakes is pretty much the same as any car. Services are semi high compared to Alpine which seems pretty cheap.

Alfa Romeo dealer networks are rubbish. I have had a few Alfas myself I much rather take it to a good independent all day long.

The Elise is little harder to live with than the 4C I believe (slightly), again I haven't ruled them out, but how are they as a everyday car? I remember them being harder to get then a 4C. I may invest sometime looking at them.

@-Tom- did the 4C feel wide on UK roads?

I have such wonderful things about the Alpine as a TTP. Gordon Murray and Lotus used one to bench mark against their modern cars which says something. I spoke to a ex lotus Dynamics engineer for everyday spirted driving it is better than the Lotus Emira and that it is quite close to the Mk2 Elise. He also said the Evora is closer to the original Lotus DNA and is better torsionally than the Emira. He said the Elise, Cayman and M2 are better on the track then the Alpine but for everyday driving Alpine is the better, which is what you also hear in the reviews. I am unlikely to do much track driving.

I think the 4C and Alpine are tied currently. I appreciate the Supra is different beast but I like the styling and the uniqueness of it. I spoke to a friend who has a GR86 and he said in the dealership people are trading in their Supra's for the GR86 because they want something more fun.

I don't plan to get anything until next spring so I have lots of time.

plenty

4C v Mk5 Supra v A110

Post by plenty » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:54 pm

I have driven a 4C for several hundred miles and owned an Evora S1 for three years.

Try both before you buy. I found fundamental flaws with the driving position on both cars: the seat on the 4C didn't recline enough, while the pedals on the Evora were too offset to the centre of the car (I think they improved this on the 4x0 cars). Having said that most owners didn't have these complaints, so maybe it was just me.

The handling on the 4C was panned at launch but the car I drove had been fettled by Alfaworks and on smooth continental roads where I tried it its dynamics were excellent, on a par with my Evora. What let the car down was its uninspiring powerplant, an uncharismatic 1.8 four fitted with an intrusive exhaust which is too loud and nasty to listen to, degrading enjoyment on long drives.

Not driven an A110 to compare but would love to try one

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

4C v Mk5 Supra v A110

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:55 pm

When you say you want a car with a small footprint, does this mean the size of the car?
I thought the 4C was one of the widest cars made.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Rldee007

4C v Mk5 Supra v A110

Post by Rldee007 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:07 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:55 pm When you say you want a car with a small footprint, does this mean the size of the car?
I thought the 4C was one of the widest cars made.
Lol yes it is wider than a Boxter and this is one of the things I am put off with it on UK roads.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

4C v Mk5 Supra v A110

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:52 pm

My Elise was used as an everyday car doing 7 to 8K per year, had zero issues with the car at all, was great fun to drive, not the quietest on a long run but then I knew that when I bought the car, get it on a B road and all is forgiven.

With the roof on getting in & out was easy for me, there is a knack to it and when you have that, its not an issue, I would try this a few times if you test drive one just to make sure its acceptable, roof off is a doodle

Roof can be a fiddle to get on / off on the Elise but 5 minutes and sorted, keep it in garage if the weather is good, leave the roof of and use a car cover.

The car will hold a few soft bags for long weekends - few days away, shopping should be fine as long as you're not doing a months shop for a family of 5.

Insurance is not the cheapest but probably no worse than anything else on your list and the 160R was cheaper to insure than the standard car, less around means less claims so cheaper to insure, fuel is pretty decent at 40mpg driven sensibly, hard to get below 30 even driving hard in mine - not certain on the newer engines, servicing is ok via Indies, don't use the network, I used one in Hook and live in South Wales.

The car draws attention and will probably keep its value pretty well - similar to the 4C IMHO.

Oh and I would love a 4C or my Elise back but due to my knee issues and the track I live up its not possible, the Elise is probably the only car I seriously regret selling and I include my AR Brera spider which was my first new car and looked after like it was a child - yes the network is diabolical.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.