Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cat warning - again!

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Rojo

Cat warning - again!

Post by Rojo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:17 pm

Any diagnostic thinking appreciated!

I have a 2006 E85 2.0 z4. Back in January, I drove to work after 2 weeks of not driving, to find the car vibrating heavily on the motorway and then I received the P0420 cat warning. This was repeatable only after 10 minutes of driving - so suspected that I needed a cat replacement. This car has 3: 2 inbuilt in the exhaust manifold and one downstream. I replaced the exhaust manifold with a salvaged one that had only done half the miles (60k) and had been tested. After a local garage reset the adapters, everything was back to normal... until recently; less than 1000 miles later - another warning, and also a bit later, a low oil warning, with some oil evident top of the exhaust manifold.

Leaky rocker cover / valve gasket? Oil getting into the exhaust and ruining the cat? Or unrelated....
Any ideas welcome!

Z4Mariner

Cat warning - again!

Post by Z4Mariner » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi Rojo,

Not a 4-pot (I4) owner, so take this as a more general comment from my BMW I6 experience.

I don't know your particulars, and how you came to cat replacement. At replacement, was testing was done to confirm it was the cat ? I replace upstream and downstream O2 sensors at the 100K miles mark, even if functional, because the zirconia sensor material will age and degrade with temp cycles (I'm a retired lab guy). Did your new cat get new Bosch sensors at install? Did they test the flow through the secondary cat in the exhaust in case it has crumbled and is restricting exhaust ?

External oil leaks are a pain, but that's probably a separate issue. It would be internal, half-burnt fuel or oil loading up your cat that would make it fail. Share the most detail you can so board members can give best advice. Members with I4 experience will hopefully chime in to advise.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Cat warning - again!

Post by True-Blue » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:24 am

Re-post this in the e85 problems section, you’ll get a lot more response :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i