Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof Movement impaired

Dr-Jon

roof Movement impaired

Post by Dr-Jon » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:22 pm

Guys,
Its been a while since I've last posted and to be honist a while since I drove the Z4.
I've had a leeky boot and flooded battery compartment, not once but twice now.
After I dried it all out the first time, the hydraulic pump and motor were underwater for quite a while and the water was turning that rusty colour.
but after I took it all apart and dried it off, replaced the relays as they were shot. Put it all back together, replaced the hydraulic fluid it all worked like dream. Changed a broken seal in the boot and thorught I'd fixed it.. but this is a Z4 after all.
So no I discovered a battery box full of water again, not as much the second time as I'd been keeping an eye on it. But it still got wet. Why did they not design the hydraulic motor support to be waterproof ?? and not a spunge!! anyway, dried it all off again changed the bloody relays again and it all worked, so I was happy bunny.
I then took all the boot trim out to see if I could find where the water leak is coming from, did remove about 2 pints of water from the sides of the boot though,but no luck in finding where it came in, but the trim is all out still.
So today I thourght as its a nice day, I'll go see if I can put it all back together. Well the boot is all dry but now the roof wont open, even the windows don't go down. I have a smart top fitted so the roof should open from the fob, but this never worked. So I put the key in the ignition and the open roof LED goes red when I press the roof open button and I get a "Roof Movement Impaired "up on the idrive screen.
Does anyone know what that means?
and whats the best/cheapest fault code reader so i can find out what the issue is
Many Thanks
Jon
Last edited by Dr-Jon on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

roof Movement impaired

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:04 pm

Every time i saw that, it was a broken wire, before roof even moved.
Buy a decent code reader, my Foxwell obd reader has paid for itself several times over.

Dr-Jon

roof Movement impaired

Post by Dr-Jon » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:09 pm

Flybobbie, which model have you got?
Thanks
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

roof Movement impaired

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:21 pm

Well i ordered a nt 510, but they sent nt 520pro, cost a few years ago 125.
They are about 160 now.
Has BMW specific data loaded as well as generic.
Looks like this the latest;
https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FXNT530B.html

Dr-Jon

roof Movement impaired

Post by Dr-Jon » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:19 pm

thanks

jamesgarbett

roof Movement impaired

Post by jamesgarbett » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:29 pm

I had the same error message and it was indeed a broken wire
The codes i read weren't all that useful as initially they pointed to a failed microswitch
Eventually through some trial and error the broken wire was found
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

Dr-Jon

roof Movement impaired

Post by Dr-Jon » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm

Just to keep you all informed. I went to start the car on Wednesday and the battery was flat...
So I have charged the battery and the roof is all working again :)
I had forgotten how these cars need a fully charged battery to operate correctly.
So all is now good .