Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw extended warranty

Discussing the current generation Z4
Ledg

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Ledg » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:14 pm

So the cars 3 year warranty runs out on 16th June 2023. I’ve received a letter from bmw insurance and they are offering a years extra warranty which includes failure due to wear and tear on covered components (not looked at what they are yet) (cars done 40,000 miles) up to 100,000 miles, this also includes the roadside assistance for £707. Has anyone else taken this out or know of any better deals. I’m kinda thinking it might be worth it as it would be less hassle from bmw then a different company. My wife definitely wants the road side assist which is £156 from bmw. She has had to use it before and it’s just easier and less stressful then any other road side assist she has had before, also the car seems to have a phone signal when her phone doesn’t. Just wondering what everyone one else has done. It is my wife’s daily so it does get some miles clocked up on it.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Nanu » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:22 pm

I found that my ex employers life insurance of which I am still a member has roadside RAC assistance included as a perk.

Some banks or life insurances include such perks as part of the package. Maybe worth checking this avenue out first if that is what is important rather than the warranty.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Ledg

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Ledg » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:29 pm

The road side assist is already decided. As we think it’s better than aa and rac. It’s the warranty side to be fair. I’ve heard there are other companies that do it, just didn’t know if anyone had taken any extended warranty’s out

Ledg

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Ledg » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm

To be fair I’ve more or less convinced myself already it’s worth it. In 3 years the car has had a new main digital display ( can’t remember what they said the price of that was, but a stupid amount I’m sure). 4 electric mirrors at apparently £1000 each time, and it’s having its last warranty job next week which is a new transmission sump that’s leaking. (£1200).

ori

Bmw extended warranty

Post by ori » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:27 am

Right. I can only tell you my personal experience on my previous zed (e89). Needed a new gearbox which the part alone was 3k. No idea what the labour was to replace it.
Some people say the warranty is a waste of money, but for me it’s essential.
I like the breakdown too as they have to take it to bmw and you get a loan car.
If you want to reduce the cost, you can add a £150 excess.

Obviously if you don’t claim it’s a waste of money, but I feel it’s peace of mind knowing you aren’t going to get a bill that you can’t afford to pay or that will really hurt you.

As for third party warranty……again some people swear by them. I’ve had the experience where they are vague about if they are going to pay out. With bmw it’s all handled by the dealership.

What I haven’t seen is this including wear and tear? Surely that can’t include pads and discs?

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:18 am

The only reason warranties are sold is because they make money off them, so statistically the odds are on your side if you don't purchase one.
Of course, that is no consolation if you are unlucky enough to be hit with a big bill.........
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Ed Doe

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:57 pm

Entirely up to your own view on the risk profile.

I wouldn't touch a warranty with a bargepole, I'd prefer to self-insure because in my view the only reason these warranties are offered is because they make money for the manufacturer. Have a very close look at the list of exclusions before pushing the button would be my advice.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

ori

Bmw extended warranty

Post by ori » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:03 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:18 am The only reason warranties are sold is because they make money off them, so statistically the odds are on your side if you don't purchase one.
Of course, that is no consolation if you are unlucky enough to be hit with a big bill.........
Of course you are correct. It is also a method of subsiding the car and dealers.

My view on warranty in general is like insurance. If I can’t afford to replace it or fix it without worry then I insure.
With car bills being what they are, I can’t risk a 5k repair bill.

ori

Bmw extended warranty

Post by ori » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:11 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:57 pm Entirely up to your own view on the risk profile.

I wouldn't touch a warranty with a bargepole, I'd prefer to self-insure because in my view the only reason these warranties are offered is because they make money for the manufacturer. Have a very close look at the list of exclusions before pushing the button would be my advice.
Of course if you can afford to take that risk then statistically you are correct.
However, when my gearbox needed changing on 35is. The part alone was over 3k. Probably a 5k bill.
As far as I’m concerned I am very much quids in. ;)
With extended warranty on my 35 and 35is. I had tail lights replaced, engine top mounts, brake callipers and loads of stuff I can’t remember. That’s on top of a gearbox!

Ed Doe

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:45 pm

How much was the warranty over the period of ownership and how much (if any) excess did you pay per claim?

I'm only asking because I'm curious to understand if bmw amortise the cost of the low probability high claim case such as yours across a premium hike, excess charges or by spreading the cost amongst the thousands of other customers who don't end up claiming!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

ori

Bmw extended warranty

Post by ori » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:43 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:45 pm How much was the warranty over the period of ownership and how much (if any) excess did you pay per claim?

I'm only asking because I'm curious to understand if bmw amortise the cost of the low probability high claim case such as yours across a premium hike, excess charges or by spreading the cost amongst the thousands of other customers who don't end up claiming!
I always had 0 excess and didn’t take the breakdown cover as I had it with my bank.

So my annual bill was around £400 a year at the time and my total claims on one car alone was around 12k. I only know this as I had a long issue afterwards with bmw and eventually got a huge discount on a new car because of the issues I had with it. (Basically they couldn’t fix it).
This was 8 years ago I think.
Not sure what the g29 is like to extend warranty. I assume around £600 without breakdown. We shall see in a year or so.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Nanu » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:43 pm

You could always stick say £50 per month (My preference) or what ever you can afford into premium bonds. The money is there if you need it and who knows, you could end up being able to afford a Ferrari?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Obs-Com

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Obs-Com » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:46 pm

I’ve just renewed my BMW comprehensive warranty and include comprehensive European Breakdown at a cost of £440 till June 2024. I simply view it as an insurance policy that will cover the unexpected. Gives me peace of mind and allows me to enjoy my Euro Tours more (Pyrenees trip for the Tour de France coming up early July :)) plus, it’s transferable to a new owner if I decide it’s time for a change (can’t think why I would though) so attractive for any potential buyers. Hopefully I’ll never need to use it but who knows!
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

ori

Bmw extended warranty

Post by ori » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:37 pm

Is that all it was £440? No brainier in my opinion.

Johnbmwz4

Bmw extended warranty

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:19 pm

Mine was the same £440. Bargain in my eyes
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)