Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First visit to a BMW stealership (tires, P1447 DTML pump and dead audio amp)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
NW1

Post by NW1 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:25 pm

SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light & engine lugs under light acceleration: I previously pulled a P1447 code for the DTML pump, which they confirmed. $229 to diagnose, $976.36 to replace the pump. Rock Auto has a Bosch Leakage Detection Pump, PN 0261222018 for $52.79. I think I may DIY this one. I hope this gets rid of the SES light. I’m not convinced it will address the lugging issue.

Audio system: powers up but no audio. I checked (visually and for continuity) fuses 47, 48 & 50 which were all good. Another $229 to diagnose. $1190.46 to replace the amplifier with a salvage unit with no warranty. I think I may DIY this one but I can’t locate the amp. I’m told it is behind the battery. Is it IN the battery compartment or elsewhere?

Quoted $1,572.80 for four tires, mounted and balanced. I assume this is for the OEM Bridgestone RFTs. Considering going with General GMAX AS-05 all season tires for half the price.
2008 3.0 si Roadster
Missouri, USA

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:50 pm

Sounds like you need to engage with the forum on all of these issues before you waste money at the stealers!
:headbang:

Definitely DIY 1,2. Get an amp off ebay with a matching or earlier s/n and plug and play. It's located behind the battery. To prevent the same damage occurring find the source of the original leak if you still have water ingress.

Re. the tires; if I was laying down that amount of coin I wouldn't be assuming anything! I'd want to know EXACTLY what kind of rubber was going on my wheels! :roll:
Again, you absolutely do NOT need to be going to BMW for tyres. Consult the forum re. the correct/suitable tyres for your driving style.
Some, like me opt for proper summer tyres and swap to full winters in the cold season.
Some go for all-season but some, like me aren't necessarily convinced they're not just a compromise / false economy.
:fuelfire:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

NW1

Post by NW1 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:55 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:50 pmSounds like you need to engage with the forum on all of these issues before you waste money at the stealers!
I did:

viewtopic.php?p=2007813#p2007813

viewtopic.php?p=2007735#p2007735

No signs of water ingress in the battery area. The car is always garaged and only driven 10K in the past 10 years, in good weather.

The tire quote was unsolicited. Unless they had a better price (which is likely never), I would never buy tires from a car dealer.
2008 3.0 si Roadster
Missouri, USA

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:11 pm

Agree on DIY for first two. Tires are always a hard thing for me to shop, because there are so many things to balance: performance, price, noise, ride, etc.

Because of dollar prices and RockAuto reference I presume you are in US or Canada. You may have already used the TireRack compare feature to choose the General tires. If not, then give it a try to compare ratings for various properties of several tires in the category you're considering. I chose PS4 AS tires over some others because I favor wet/cool performance over all-out traction, and they had better-than-most noise ratings. The Generals don't look bad either.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

NW1

Post by NW1 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:26 pm

Z4Mariner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:11 pm Agree on DIY for first two. Tires are always a hard thing for me to shop, because there are so many things to balance: performance, price, noise, ride, etc.

Because of dollar prices and RockAuto reference I presume you are in US or Canada. You may have already used the TireRack compare feature to choose the General tires. If not, then give it a try to compare ratings for various properties of several tires in the category you're considering. I chose PS4 AS tires over some others because I favor wet/cool performance over all-out traction, and they had better-than-most noise ratings. The Generals don't look bad either.
Yep, USA (signature updated). I also shopped Yokohama Advan Sport and Goodyear Eagle Sport (I was OK with asymmetrical but didn't want unidirectional). They compared well with the Generals.
2008 3.0 si Roadster
Missouri, USA