Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power steering failure safety

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
giraffophobic

Post by giraffophobic » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:38 pm

Hello again,

Background: power steering on my 2006 3.0si (at roughly 130000 miles / 209000 km) has been deactivating, typically on cold start, immediately after attempting to turn the steering wheel. After driving for >15 minutes or so and turning the car off/on, power steering can be regained temporarily, and works fine for a short period of time. I'm getting the 611C code and have been looking into some of the other threads on steering column removal / additional diagnosis. This is my daily driver.

Due to work/travel, I won't be able to work on this issue within the next few weeks, but still need to drive. Aside from increased difficulty turning at low speeds, does this present any major safety issues? (i.e., do I risk completely losing the ability to steer or something extreme lol)

Thanks!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:36 pm

Hi,
I collected a 3.0 E85 with failed power steering and drove it 180 miles home.
Once you're moving its fine.
There is nothing in the system that can lock it up.
In your case that code tells me it's the torque sensor within the column, so either a replacement column or search the forum and someone did a how-to on stripping and repairing the sensor within the column.
The EPS motor is a simple worm drive that spins when signalled, to assist steering by acting on a cog on the column.
When the motor fails all that is different is that when you turn the wheel the motor is turned by the cog on the column.
The motor will not seize as basically it's ECU is not powering it any more, it's just an inert lump of metal that you can spin via the column.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:23 pm

I drove my 2003 2.5 with failed power steering for about 2 weeks. You just need to be careful on roundabouts!

giraffophobic

Post by giraffophobic » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:25 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:36 pm Hi,
I collected a 3.0 E85 with failed power steering and drove it 180 miles home.
Once you're moving its fine.
There is nothing in the system that can lock it up.
In your case that code tells me it's the torque sensor within the column, so either a replacement column or search the forum and someone did a how-to on stripping and repairing the sensor within the column.
The EPS motor is a simple worm drive that spins when signalled, to assist steering by acting on a cog on the column.
When the motor fails all that is different is that when you turn the wheel the motor is turned by the cog on the column.
The motor will not seize as basically it's ECU is not powering it any more, it's just an inert lump of metal that you can spin via the column.
Ahh okay, that's good to know. Thank you!