Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A few bits and pieces and a trip to Spa - New Windscreen

"M" Specific discussion
Mikey_Boy

A few bits and pieces and a trip to Spa - when did BMWs get so big?!?!?!

Post by Mikey_Boy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:55 am

Vanne wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:20 pm Porshe smorshe! beaut car youve got there, much more character than those snoety nose lat`ee drinkers..

really nice pics man, you should be proud of your "old heap".. looks absolutely primal. :thumbsup:
Thanks Vanne - that's very kind! :thumbsup:

Every time I think about selling, I open the garage and think what a great piece of design the Z4 coupe really is and whilst it both rewards and frustrates in equal measure when you drive, I keep going back for more!! :evil: :evil:

For the money I think we have a heck of a lot of car.... :D
Last edited by Mikey_Boy on Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey_Boy

Post by Mikey_Boy » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:05 pm

So… I was at Donington recently for an evening stretch of the legs in the Z4M. In the hotel car park, I was STUNNED to see how big, lardy and fugly modern BMWs have become? Just me, or do my eyes need testing?? :poke:
IMG_8665.jpeg
IMG_8665.jpeg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 336 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:31 pm

Mikey_Boy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:05 pm So… I was at Donington recently for an evening stretch of the legs in the Z4M. In the hotel car park, I was STUNNED to see how big, lardy and fugly modern BMWs have become? Just me, or do my eyes need testing??
It isn't just you!

Nearly all modern cars are big, lardy and fugly. BMW are no exception sadly. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:28 pm

Nope, the last decent bmw was the M2 comp imo, it's all gone downhill since and showing no signs of recovery!

Get your pics and videos up of donny! Cracking circuit, I was out there for an evening session in April :)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:05 am

The size of cars is getting ridiculous. The original X5 is starting to look small these days.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Mikey_Boy

A few bits and pieces and a trip to Spa - New Windscreen

Post by Mikey_Boy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:39 pm

So I did a bit of a search on here and found a lot of differing views on windscreens when they need to be changed. I had a chip highlighted by the MOT tester last year and dismissed it as him being really pedantic (he’s been trying to fail me for the last few years - only succeeded once.. :headbang: )

Anyway, having gone to Sommerfest, I was a little miffed when I saw the chip had turned into a crack:
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0356.jpeg (250.6 KiB) Viewed 232 times
With an MOT looming, and checking the regs, I needed to change out the screen. Doing my research, it was clear an OEM top seal was needed - part number is 51317017021 and costs about £40.

I had a bad experience with Autoglass in the past, but it was clear they are easier to book, all being online, with them even liaising with your insurer so only the excess to pay.

Here’s the process in pictures:

Old top seal cut out:
IMG_8736.jpeg
IMG_8736.jpeg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 232 times
The installer was more than happy to ditch the pattern seal the screen came with. I asked if a non OEM screen would be OK and he said they all come with a lifetime warranty so any issues, they will change out for OEM if needed - he said he had done around 15 Z4’s and not had to go back and change a screen yet.

To take the lower flitch panel out, there are a couple of awkward clips - if you remove the 2 brace bars from the turrets to the bulkhead, access is much improved - clip circled to show:
IMG_8738.jpeg
IMG_8738.jpeg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 232 times
And panel out - no broken clips! (Good job as BMW advised this part is on back order with no manufacture date worldwide):
IMG_8739.jpeg
IMG_8739.jpeg (193 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Screen being removed - a gizmo with nylon wire is used to cut through the seal:
IMG_8740.jpeg
IMG_8740.jpeg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 232 times
And screen out for maximum ventilation… :D
IMG_8741.jpeg
IMG_8741.jpeg (130.59 KiB) Viewed 232 times
New screen installed - 30 mins curing time for the sealant:
IMG_8743.jpeg
IMG_8743.jpeg (123.66 KiB) Viewed 232 times
And watering can in shot in the background to test the rain sensor once the wipers were reinstalled and tools removed.
IMG_8742.jpeg
IMG_8742.jpeg (164.31 KiB) Viewed 232 times
I have to say, a new screen is a thing of joy - compared to the pot marked and scratched original item, it’s made the driving experience much clearer.

No issues with wind noise, leaks or wiper sensor so overall, I’m a happy chap - just ensure you get an OEM seal if ever you need to change a screen.