Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension torque settings

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Shadbolt83

Post by Shadbolt83 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:33 pm

Hi guys.

Got new sach dampers, top mounts, bump stops , dust covers, drop links and lollipop bushes to refresh the front suspension. :)

Anyone have a service manual confirming torque settings for pinch bolts and other items?. I believe top mounts are 32nm but that's it.

Thanks in advance 🙂
3.0si E85 Roadster 2009 - Ruby Black :D

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:43 pm

Pinch bolts 80Nm range. Drop links are 50Nm. Top mount sounds about right for M8 bolts.

None of these are critical, a decent heave proportional to the size of the bolt is usual. Over tightening things is easily done as people assume they've got to go beserk and treat it as a fundamental test of strength.

In years of playing with nuts and bolts I've never had anything come adrift but have also never had anything that then wouldn't come undone again without huge amounts of swearing and a blowtorch. Conversely I've come up against many mechanic tightened bolts that must have impugned their masculinity judging by what they did to them.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Shadbolt83

Post by Shadbolt83 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:50 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:43 pm Pinch bolts 80Nm range. Drop links are 50Nm. Top mount sounds about right for M8 bolts.

None of these are critical, a decent heave proportional to the size of the bolt is usual. Over tightening things is easily done as people assume they've got to go beserk and treat it as a fundamental test of strength.

In years of playing with nuts and bolts I've never had anything come adrift but have also never had anything that then wouldn't come undone again without huge amounts of swearing and a blowtorch. Conversely I've come up against many mechanic tightened bolts that must have impugned their masculinity judging by what they did to them.
Thanks.

And yeah. I normally use common sense and go by feel. But I recently bought a replacement torque wrench so need an excuse to use it 🤣

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:55 pm

Shadbolt83, I just PM'd you about this. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Shadbolt83

Post by Shadbolt83 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:55 pm Shadbolt83, I just PM'd you about this. :wink:
:thumbsup: thanks 🙂

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:27 pm

Glad you got what you needed! I have the hardcover Bentley print manuals for E46 and for E90-E93 chassis cars. Between the two they cover most of the mechanicals of our cars - but of course not the unique things. It sometimes takes a while to find which manual is appropriate.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT